Stonehenge caravan Park.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Anyone been to Stonehenge Caravan Park? We are supposed to going end of the month but have just found out that for the week that we are there, they are having day and night firing on all three ranges.
We have a dog that is very nervous about gunshots and will shake all day and night. Apparently the gunshots from all three ranges can be heard at this caravan park. Can any one confirm? Thanks.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Anyone been to Stonehenge Caravan Park? We are supposed to going end of the month but have just found out that for the week that we are there, they are having day and night firing on all three ranges.
We have a dog that is very nervous about gunshots and will shake all day and night. Apparently the gunshots from all three ranges can be heard at this caravan park. Can any one confirm? Thanks.
I can't answer your question about that specific site but when the big guns are firing, the sound carries a long way - same as the firing ranges in Dorset.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you look at a town called Bradford on Avon we lived there until recently. And under certain wind conditions we could hear the artillery firing. BOA is much farther away than Stonehenge CC is from the ranges. It all depends on if it’s live ammunition. The SA80 heavy howitzers fire up to three shells in quick succession such that they all arrive in the same spot at the same time. But that’s the long range from Warminster to near Tidworth. Challengers moving around the range tend to use blanks plus lasers. Great stuff being up there on the perimeter track to watch from afar. Sorry digress

oops SA 90 not 80

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you look at a town called Bradford on Avon we lived there until recently. And under certain wind conditions we could hear the artillery firing. BOA is much farther away than Stonehenge CC is from the ranges. It all depends on if it’s live ammunition. The SA80 heavy howitzers fire up to three shells in quick succession such that they all arrive in the same spot at the same time. But that’s the long range from Warminster to near Tidworth. Challengers moving around the range tend to use blanks plus lasers. Great stuff being up there on the perimeter track to watch from afar. Sorry digress

It would be of interest to me however I doubt if OH would have any interest. We live in a rural area and they shoot around our area with mainly shotguns which turns Shona into a nervous wreck. A rifle has a sharp higher pitch crack rather than the boom of a shotgun. However it is shells that may be more of a concern as I have never been shelled at in my life and neither has the dog in question although I guess the detonation of a mortar is similar? The other two dogs don't bat an eyelid.
The nearest range is Larkhill which is about 5 miles away however at night sound travels a lot further. Maybe have the TV up loud? Bulford and Imber are a lot further away so hopefully will not be a problem. Don't really want to cancel however if she gets really bad we will need to up and chuck and find somewhere else for the remainder of our holiday.

TRENDING THREADS