Stop/Start

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I am hoping this thread does not develop into another for and against.

I am very happy to use the stop/start if it works properly. If it was not smooth in operation, I would have it fixed, or cancel it.

This is now my 3rd car with stop/start technology. The Volvo worked fine but would cut the engine out at about 1 mph which affected smooth braking. Next the MG which worked well in that respect (but had other short comings).

I now have the Mazda CX5 and it works differently. I have been thinking it is faulty. But researching tells me that the brake needs a decent press to make it operate. I am beginning to get used to this, but do wonder what the reason is.

I stop gently, and the engine keeps going, then, if I press the brake harder, the engine stops, I can then release the brake and it remains stopped, if the ‘HOLD’ is switched on, the brake can be released completely.

I have not tried it yet, (too nervous), but I understand that if the car is stopped by the radar in traffic jam mode, the engine will stop without touching the brake.

So it seems I need to press harder on the brake after coming to a stop. I think I will get the hang of it quickly enough, but do wonder what the point is. My research shows it is normal for Mazdas. Nothing in the handbook though.

Are there other makes that do the same.

John

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I have a Mazda 6 auto and can confirm mine does exactly the same. If you use the "hold" button, when you come to a standstill whilst in cruise, the car will indeed come to a standstill, the brakes will remain on, and the engine will cut out. It will restart, and release tue brakes when you touch the throttle. Brilliant with an auto in traffic! (Not sure if its the same in a manual though)
Just be aware that Mazda use a capacitor to power everything when the engine stops. If stopped for any length of time the engine will restart when the capacitor becomes depleted. That's NOT a fault.
It is a little odd, but once you get accustomed to it you will be fine.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Kia does the same and when I first started to use it it felt very strange just pressing the brake pedal to stop the car and engine. I need to switch autohold on prior to setting off. But once I got used to it I feel quite okay and like it. However there are some situations where will I switch stop/start off, but it still auto holds.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the reassurance that it works as it should. Just a little odd to remember to give the peddle the extra shove. But I will soon get used to it. My car has MRCC Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop Start function. Perhaps the same as Mr Plodds. Evidently, in traffic it will keep a set distance and come to a stop without braking, the engine will also stop. However, the accelerator has to be pressed to get going again. I am leaving trying that for a while.

By the way, for Mazda owners. You may find that people have difficulty hearing you when speaking hands free. I found this, and when I Googled it it seems it is very common. Mazda have now fixed it with a software update. Mine had it today and it works fine.

Mine is the 2 litre petrol CX 5 auto, so probably very similar to Mr Plodd’s Mazda 6 assuming it is the petrol.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Without a capacitor :cool:
Exactly. My point is, regardless of if it is battery or capacitor, PHEV or not. The vehicle. Is designed to produce a charge sufficient to do the restarting it is designed for. Turning it off will still create the generation, hopefully by braking or by overrun. So why waste it?

I refer you to #1 line 1.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Plodd
Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Exactly. My point is, regardless of if it is battery or capacitor, PHEV or not. The vehicle. Is designed to produce a charge sufficient to do the restarting it is designed for. Turning it off will still create the generation, hopefully by braking or by overrun. So why waste it?

I refer you to #1 line 1.

John
i did read line 1.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The VW auto-hold is left on permanently. Car must come to a complete stop although now and then I have caught it out. I’ve had it so long I take it for granted.
I expect as you drive the Mazda more you will accept it as the norm.
As an aside , when reversing with the caravan , I turn it off . Makes the reverse a bit smoother.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I do find autohold combined with stop/start doesn’t give good close quarter combat when combined with a twin clutch gearbox. That’s my experience with a DSG and Kia one too, But with “ conventional auto and cvt auto they are better. So when I arrive home now I switch off autohold and stop/start as I enter drive which makes for a “ better parking experience”. IE less probability of parking the engine in the downstairs toilet.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Be aware that at least Hyundai, if not others, either advise "stop-start" is not used whilst towing or stop it functioning automatically.
Maybe someone has researched the treason - I'm assuming that stopping an engine immediately after coming to a standstill could starve the turbo/engine of lubrication! Important if engine working hard whilst towing?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I switch mine off kia, saves the battery.
Don’t you think that the car makers have considered the design of the stop start system alongside the specification for the battery? Our Kia runabout is 7.5 years old and still on its OEM battery. The cars BMS manages the battery and if necessary over rides stop start either by autonomously restarting or perhaps dropping AC.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Stop Start total waste of time in our car. Whenever I stop, I apply the handbrake and take my foot off the accelerator, the car then starts and engine is idling while waiting at traffic lights.

Annoyingly if I come up to a busy junction and need to stop temporary and then hit the gas when there is a gap, the vehicle has gone into the stop start mode and a split second can be important.

It is now switched off and only wish is that it could be switched off permanently! :mad:

Reactions: Fraseb01
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I've changed the electronic coding on mine so that Stop/Start defaults to off but I can switch it on if I wish - most of my journeys are longer runs so I leave it off to avoid unexpected operation at junctions but turn it on for journeys within built-up areas, it works well in conjunction with auto hold brakes - towing disables it automatically so no issue there, if stuck in traffic I just switch the engine off.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Don’t you think that the car makers have considered the design of the stop start system alongside the specification for the battery? Our Kia runabout is 7.5 years old and still on its OEM battery. The cars BMS manages the battery and if necessary over rides stop start either by autonomously restarting or perhaps dropping AC.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. I've seen too many dumb lack of design considerations in all manners of technology supposedly all for our convenience.

My old Qashai which didn't have Stop/Start was still running on the orginal battery after 9/10 years. The new version I now have, which does have Stop/Start, needed a new battery after 5 years. Of course I can't tell if the stop/start function was responsible or if I was just unlucky.

I too worry about the affect on the battery but more so on the starter mechanism being cycled more often.

On my Qashqai, which is manual, the Stop/Start function is enabled by default when you turn the ignition on. You can override this after starting but it will be enabled again when you use the ignition to start the engine again. Personally I don't mind it and leave it on as its seldom needed but in times when we have to crawl through road works, moving just a few metres every minute or so, I turn it off. Then back on again once we're in normal traffic flow.

FWIW: On the Qashqai, manual, it comes into operation - if the conditions allow - when I stop and take my foot off the clutch, in neutral obviously. Things like air conditioning being on wont let it activate. It also works when towing and with or without the AutoHold on. If I take my seat belt off when its in Stop Mode - I have to start the engine with the ignition key.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Clearly some manufacturers have not got it right. There are so many that do not like ss.

The 3 cars I have had have been no problem whatsoever. In fact, I asked if speed of starting would be a problem when I bought the Volvo. They promised me that the engine would be running before my foot got from the brake to the accelerator.

With regard to the Mazda and my original question about needing to give the brake an extra push. I am now learning the purpose. When in stop start traffic I just don’t press hard, so the engine keeps going. If it looks like I will be stoped for a short while I just press and it stops. In this way, I am in charge, so coming up to a roundabout for example. The ss does not operate and become an issue.

So well thought out. But not a mention of this in the handbook, The handbook is very poor and does not live up to the car.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a PHEV, which operates a stop start system, but unlike a dedicated stop start which is principally designed not to provide motive power but simply restart the engine, in mine the electric motor will be actually drive the car and the engine only cuts in when either more power is called for or the battery is depleted.

This is an incredibly smooth system, and has never let me down when pulling away.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clearly some manufacturers have not got it right. There are so many that do not like ss.

The 3 cars I have had have been no problem whatsoever. In fact, I asked if speed of starting would be a problem when I bought the Volvo. They promised me that the engine would be running before my foot got from the brake to the accelerator.

With regard to the Mazda and my original question about needing to give the brake an extra push. I am now learning the purpose. When in stop start traffic I just don’t press hard, so the engine keeps going. If it looks like I will be stoped for a short while I just press and it stops. In this way, I am in charge, so coming up to a roundabout for example. The ss does not operate and become an issue.

So well thought out. But not a mention of this in the handbook, The handbook is very poor and does not live up to the car.

John
90% of modern handbooks consist of safety warnings. ☹️

Reactions: RogerL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts