Stop/Start

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
90% of modern handbooks consist of safety warnings. ☹️
I can accept the safety warnings, but this constantly repeats and repeats the same warnings. It is also very poor at differentiating between models. Also It often states options of A,B and sometimes C. But you have to waste a lot of time working out which yours is. And it might be A in one part and B in another. I very much like the car, but the handbook is so poor. I have found a lot out on YouTube. But this is often on American versions so more working out to do.

Just tried a 12 mile motorway trip, and the active cruise worked perfectly. I am big into using cruise but this is my first car with active cruise. At one time a van squeezed in front of me from lane 2 to 3, not too dangerous but would have meant the need to brake, it reacted immediately and controlled the situation.

John

May 30, 2024
Visit site
We can all agree that the control systems in cars have become ridiculously complicated, and the safety / warning systems generally infuriating.

The world's gone mad etc etc.. But some of these things are quite satisfying and clever. I too have a Mazda - CX-30 - which is the most recent of several cars I've owned with stop-start systems. I was very doubtful a few years ago, but once I got used to them I've become to quite like them really.

The thing that surprised me with the Mazda is that you don't hear or feel the starter motor at all - the revs just go from zero to 1000 or whatever as you lift the clutch. It turns out that the Mazda system on my car doesn't use the starter motor to do this - is it the same for CX5 and Mazda 6? Instead it somehow restarts combustion from zero revs, can only do it once the car is warmed up etc..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We can all agree that the control systems in cars have become ridiculously complicated, and the safety / warning systems generally infuriating.

The world's gone mad etc etc.. But some of these things are quite satisfying and clever. I too have a Mazda - CX-30 - which is the most recent of several cars I've owned with stop-start systems. I was very doubtful a few years ago, but once I got used to them I've become to quite like them really.

The thing that surprised me with the Mazda is that you don't hear or feel the starter motor at all - the revs just go from zero to 1000 or whatever as you lift the clutch. It turns out that the Mazda system on my car doesn't use the starter motor to do this - is it the same for CX5 and Mazda 6? Instead it somehow restarts combustion from zero revs, can only do it once the car is warmed up etc..
It works by direct fuel injection.

Reactions: Hutch and RogerL
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
In regards to "wear" on the starter motor, has anyone here had to replace their starter motor?
My car is coming up to 6 years old (55k miles) still on the original battery and starter
I use stop/start all the time.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
My mild-hybrid Volvo doesn't have a starter motor, it has an "ISG" - Intelligent Starter Generator (can be shortened to "Expensive"). The alternator is a fair sized lump and is used to charge the battery, start the engine and then provide additional assistance to the engine as a motor. It all works splendidly, engine starting is silent, stop/start is seamless but I dread to think of the cost should anything go wrong when it's out of warranty!

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
My mild-hybrid Volvo doesn't have a starter motor, it has an "ISG" - Intelligent Starter Generator (can be shortened to "Expensive"). The alternator is a fair sized lump and is used to charge the battery, start the engine and then provide additional assistance to the engine as a motor. It all works splendidly, engine starting is silent, stop/start is seamless but I dread to think of the cost should anything go wrong when it's out of warranty!
Most, if not all, hybrids have exactly that system. A bit like the "Dynastart" that was fitted to a Trojan bubble car I once owned, dynamo (remember them?) And starter motor combined. Not a cheap item back then so the modern version is going to probably cost as much as an ICE engine!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Fred Drift warning.....

My daughters Ford Fiesta is/was due a timing belt change last week. It's a 1.0l petrol eco engine and has a wet belt system.....£1300. Parts are cheap but it's a major job to do, so most of the cost is in the labour.

Like a good many clever things added to modern cars, expensive to fix when they go wrong.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Fred Drift warning.....

My daughters Ford Fiesta is/was due a timing belt change last week. It's a 1.0l petrol eco engine and has a wet belt system.....£1300. Parts are cheap but it's a major job to do, so most of the cost is in the labour.

Like a good many clever things added to modern cars, expensive to fix when they go wrong.
I assume that's main agent price? I am sure a local non franchised workshop could do it for vastly less.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Not a cheap item back then so the modern version is going to probably cost as much as an ICE engine!
A replacement engine (supplied and fitted) by Volvo for my V90 is an eye-watering £18,500........ Gone are the days of a £250 "runner" from the scrapyard that you could swap over on a Sunday afternoon!

Reactions: Fraseb01
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fred Drift warning.....

Now I know why my last four cars were selected partly because they have chain timing. Our Diesel Note had a cam belt requiring change at 4 years or 40000 mikes at a cost back then of £420. So all it did was spread the outlay over a longer than the one big hit on your daughters car.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Now I know why my last four cars were selected partly because they have chain timing. Our Diesel Note had a cam belt requiring change at 4 years or 40000 mikes at a cost back then of £420. So all it did was spread the outlay over a longer than the one big hit on your daughters car.
Hers was done at 60k miles.

After she did hers I checked the spec for my Qashqai and couldn't believe it at first.

Ten years or 144k miles before timing belt change. Previous version was about 60k I think.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
A replacement engine (supplied and fitted) by Volvo for my V90 is an eye-watering £18,500........ Gone are the days of a £250 "runner" from the scrapyard that you could swap over on a Sunday afternoon!
Yes I remember the days when you could do it yourself and just buy the bottom or top of the engine. Or indeed go to the scrap yard and salvage the bits of off old wrecks yourself.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Chain drives don't last for ever - and some JLR vehicles have the chain on the gearbox end of the engine - I believe that on one version of Discovery that was a body-off job!!!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
How many people on here can honestly state that they have read the owner's manual from front to back? :ROFLMAO:
I did .
All this hi tech stuff I couldn’t even understand how to gain entry, never mind drive. And driving, that’s another story🙀

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Most, if not all, hybrids have exactly that system. A bit like the "Dynastart" that was fitted to a Trojan bubble car I once owned, dynamo (remember them?) And starter motor combined. Not a cheap item back then so the modern version is going to probably cost as much as an ICE engine!
Amazing! I had a Ciba dynastart on my Bond Mk G . You could start the engine in both rotational directions 4 speed reverse!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It works by direct fuel injection.

While you have provided a logical explanation. It seems at odds with my handbook. Perhaps there are two systems used by Mazda, or perhaps they use a combination of systems. Certainly, the restart is very quick and smooth.

IMG_0395.jpeg

Interestingly, the use the term battery, but elswhere they call it a capacitor.

John

Last edited:
May 30, 2024
Visit site
I did a bit more digging, and this description does feel like it represents how my Mazda behaves, so fuel injection rather than using the starter motor:

While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel.
To restart the engine by combustion, the compression-stroke and expansion-stroke pistons need to be stopped at exactly the correct positions to create the right balance of air volumes. Mazda's i-stop ensures precise control over the piston positions during engine shutdown. With all the pistons stopped at the optimum positions, the system then identifies the initial cylinder for fuel injection. It injects fuel and ignites it to restart the engine. Even at extremely low rpm, cylinders are identified for sequential ignition, making the engine quickly pick up to idling speed.
These technologies enable the system to restart the engine with exactly the same timing every time, to enhance fuel economy, and to deliver smooth and comfortable acceleration for the driver at restart. The restart takes place in a mere 0.35 seconds (internal measurement on vehicle with automatic transmission), which is about half of the time taken by conventional starter-motor idling stop systems.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
How many people on here can honestly state that they have read the owner's manual from front to back? :ROFLMAO:
My abilities are more practical than theoretical and with my past medical history this has high lightered this even more.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts