stopping unwanted calls to my phone

Jun 28, 2005
Visit site
hi,can anyone tell me how to stop unwanted calls to my phone at home,already had 3 this morning,its getting to the stage where i dont want to answer the phone,been on bt site,but they dont give a number,just want to charge me more for a service that doesnt even stop these calls,please help,thanks,adrian

G

Turn it off ! and let those who you want to speak to you do it via Skype or call at set time of the day.

Use caller display and only answer numbers you know.

Personally I SHOUT down my daughters phone that they are calling an ex directory number and don't do it again and slam the phone down before they can say anything. They don't call back! She had an unwanted call about 20 minutes ago and just handed me th phone :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you Google Telephone Preference Service,you will get all the web details that you need.It's free!!

But remember it takes a while for it to take effect.

We still get the odd phone call,but then I waste their time by asking how they got hold of the number.( Euro ) Don't like to be rude to them 'cos maybe it's the only job that they can get.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At home, if a caller is unfortunate enough to get me answering the call, I just say, 'can you hold the line please, I've just got to close a door' and then I leave the handset on the telephone table until they hang up. One chap was on the line for 50 minutes the other week before he hung up. I don't mind doing that as I rarely get any calls which are actually for me, the majority of calls are for my daughter so these marketing calls mean teeneagers can't get through to our house and that means I'm not the message service.

Lisa

G

I find it rude that they make unwanted calls Lolly.

My daughter has signed up not to have these calls yet they still phone at least twice a week.

It's an ex directory number to so why would they think she would want the calls.

Quite frankly someone calling from India has taken someones job here in my book. Some of them you can't even understand and others have learnt the pitch parrot fashion and have no grasp of English, if you are rude to them often enough it will put people off doing the job.

When on holiday three years ago she had calls diverted from her home number to her mobile and had call centre calls from India and places whilst at Disney in Florida!

Would you do the job if everyone you called kept shouting @@@ off you @@@@@@@ @@@@@@@ ;-)

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Euro wrote

"Quite frankly someone calling from India has taken someones job here in my book. Some of them you can't even understand and others have learnt the pitch parrot fashion and have no grasp of English"

What utter rubbish, no one has taken anyone elses job, A company decided to move the work to India. Why because it can work cheaper than it can here. Afterall the Indian Goverment did not set the UKs minimum wage. You don't have to accept the calls just follow the links to stop them. But please don't blame the girl in the Indian call center,because You can't quite understand her. I don't understand some people from this country working in our call centers, Geordies spring to mind. But I don't lambast them.

Val & Frank

G

Try telling people who have lost their jobs that they have not been taken! be it by their employer or poor government.

I've never had trouble understanding Scots, Irish , Scousers or Mancunians etc either and they do tend to have a grasp of the laguage.

If the minimum wage is the problem why are so many flocking to UK shores for UK cost of living and pay. Some say they can't live on it and others can it seems.

Indian call centres are more about directors bonuses and profits than UK workers.

And we also give UK call centers the same treatment if they are making unwanted calls, I was just making the point that's it's bad enough getting the calls but worse getting calls from people who are unable to converse with you.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Ask them to hold for a second, then go back to your seat and watch a film.

That way, you get to wind them up, it costs them money and they cannot ring someone else

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I usually say, I'm a bit busy at the moment but if you give me your home number I'll phone you back later,that usually rattles them, then when they say that they cannot give out their home number I say why, don't you like to be phoned at home out of the blue? no me neither

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
The first question I ask them is "How did you get my number" you should hear the silence on the other end.

Were registered to stop the calls and ex directory now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't ask me why, it was just spontaneous, but was working from home on Thursday and the phone rang, when I answered it, pleasant chap started to ask me questions to confirm who I was, so I said 'just hang on while I switch the recorder on', the man paused and said 'recorder' I said yes 'now can you confirm your postal address', he said 'postal address' (think he had a problem with his hearing), I said 'yes, to post the bill too', you guessed it, he said 'bill', I said yes, 'by continuing this call you are agreeing to pay me

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
When we moved to owe home we ask BT for a number that was not in the phone book.

A week or so went by and we started to get phone call for who used to live at owe house.

We phoned BT up and ask them what had gone on.

They said we shod have gave you a new number but for some resin they had give use the old number for owe home and they were sorry and the only way they cud fix it for use was to give use a new number.

We did not go for the new number as we did not won't to go throw tell every one a gain. So we left it.

That was 2 year a go and we still get phone call for them now. A lot of the time it form the same people who ring you would thick they would get the message but they do not and then they try and sell me what they are sell. So time I just put the phone down or I keep them on the phone and make them thick they are going to make a sale but I do not give them my name. Then say I get my son to do it for me and then say goodbye.

Mark

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Unwanted phone calls are an invasion of your privacy, and we will not tolerate them.

We have every imaginable deterent for these calls installed on our line. "Choose to Refuse" - you can barr up to ten callers. "Number With held"- any body who calls and withholds their number does not get through, and "Caller Display" does exactly as described on the packet, just means getting phones with the facility, and we are registered with the TPS.

Of course all this comes at a premium, but in our opinion it's worth every penny to not have timewasting unwanted calls to our home.

Wendy

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Unwanted phone calls are an invasion of your privacy, and we will not tolerate them.

We have every imaginable deterent for these calls installed on our line. "Choose to Refuse" - you can barr up to ten callers. "Number With held"- any body who calls and withholds their number does not get through, and "Caller Display" does exactly as described on the packet, just means getting phones with the facility, and we are registered with the TPS.

Of course all this comes at a premium, but in our opinion it's worth every penny to not have timewasting unwanted calls to our home.

Wendy
Just to add, it does work, we only have friends and family call, and all others by invitiation! :O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In case anyone is not aware - any unsolicited phone call about your mortgage is breaking the law. We have had number of calls from a company called CML who say they are based in London but they are not. I know London well and they did not know Birmingham from Battersea and could not give me their address and post code.

Unsolicited calls re mortgages are forbidden. Some mortgage providers and brokers are using call centres outside of the UK to get round this.

We went as far as agreeing to see their "Consultant" who came round to try to sell us a mortgage (we never told him I was an IFA!!!) - After he introduced himself we asked how he came across us - and it all came out! - including the fact that the call centre they use "gets round" the current UK rules!

We then turned what this poor chap thought was a sales call into a Complaint against him and his firm.

He did not know what had hit him!

The complaint was upheld and the firm has been censured by the FSA.

Oh! and we have had no more calls.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
F.A.O. Wendy (Norfolk)

Some automatic switchboards 'with-hold the number ' on outgoing calls from extensions. I sometimes miss calls offering work but I know from the answering machine who is ringing and therefore from where but the 1471 service tells me 'number with-held'. That is when the trusty contacts book comes into handy.

Mike E

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
We took over the phone # of the person who we bought our bungalow off. In spite of being ex-directory we had about 3 calls a day, mainly for timeshare. They always asked for the previous owners name asking if they were interested in selling their timeshare or buying one. They would ask for the ladies husband (who had been dead 15 years) or for the lady herself (who was 90 years old). After about 2 years we had had enough and contacted BT about changing our #. They told us to register with the T.P.S. Four years later we were still getting the calls so eventually we changed phone #, something we didn't want to do. The new menace now is the speed diallers but we always seem to get them late afternoon and if we dont answer the call withing about 15 seconds it hangs up. T.P.S. was a total waste of time in our experience.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Mike E,

We use a different approach to the business side of things. All those calls which are outside normal working hours and buisness related are taken on the mobile phone. None of my husbands customers have our home phone number, this system works very well for us, it keeps things "seperate" :O)

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We took over the phone # of the person who we bought our bungalow off. In spite of being ex-directory we had about 3 calls a day, mainly for timeshare. They always asked for the previous owners name asking if they were interested in selling their timeshare or buying one. They would ask for the ladies husband (who had been dead 15 years) or for the lady herself (who was 90 years old). After about 2 years we had had enough and contacted BT about changing our #. They told us to register with the T.P.S. Four years later we were still getting the calls so eventually we changed phone #, something we didn't want to do. The new menace now is the speed diallers but we always seem to get them late afternoon and if we dont answer the call withing about 15 seconds it hangs up. T.P.S. was a total waste of time in our experience.
Lord B, we don't get any of these calls at all, by the way nice to have you back!!:O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Thank you very much Wendy :O)

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
As well as the Telephone preference service (TPS) there is the Mail prefence service (MPS) to get rid of most of your junk mail.

Most local councils will send you a small poster discouraging door to door salesman for free, I ordered a dozen and handed them to the neighbours and they hardly seem to come down our street let alone call, if they still call I just point the sign out to them and shut the door.

If you get bothered by time share touts abroad just give them a firm "no thankyou" and keep walking, if you want a laugh take their scratch cards and when the pretty one wins and they say "that is amazing that is the first win today/this week/this year/ever" say we must be really lucky then because we always win and walk away, they hate you wasting their time!

Why do other people believe that they have a right to your time so that they can attempt to rip you off?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts