storm straps

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Anyone used the new isabella internal storm straps? They go round the awning pole inside and onto a stake in the ground. Apparently designed to stop the over awning strap buffeting.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
You could buy a pair of these ( if they are too long ? you can cut them down )and use a couple of ratchet straps to fasten the awning to the pegs....

It will be a lot cheaper for the whole lot that it will be to buy the isabella ones.....

Tiz

Mar 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi we have used the Isabella internal storm straps for the last 12 months, can only say they are excellent. Twice we have been in stormy conditions with our Isabella ambassador awning, and have had no problems whilst others have been in trouble, one losing a porch awning (not sure what make or how it was secured). In one instance several fellow caravaners came round to see our awning, which was still standing, because quite a few had to take down their awning in the middle of the night.

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi we have a Ventura atlantic and on the august bank holiday was very dissapointed that I had to take it down as feared I was going to lose it main problems were the pegs kept coming out. Mind it was a hard standing gravel with concrete underneith. Was looking at some proper storm straps but that depends whether it will make any difference on concrete.

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
you could always do what i had to do in july and use a tow rope with a dog anchor attached to the middle pole, i thought we were going to lose ours but with the storm starp and tow rope she held great.
mike

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I find the biggest problem is keeping the pegs arround the bottom in in high gusty winds. Where can you get pegs that are longer than the norm, say about 12". I use internal frame straps and an over the top one when it is blowing but the wind billows in my Isabela minor and puts a lot of strain on the bottom pegs.
We do camp each year on the edge of a Scottish sea loch facing west.

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi waffler. Just returned from a week at GRIN LOW in BUXTON, gale force winds and rain all week. We had the internal storm straps and never had a problem, they work well and are easy to set up. I will never use any other type from now on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've got some and they are pretty good, but expensive for what they are. The pegs are very secure and a b*gger to get out afterwards. We spend 3 weeks each year on a cliff top site on the Atlantic coast in south west France which can be very windy and they, combined with other measures, have always done their job.

If the ground is hard you'll need a hefty hammer to get them in and that will give you another problem. The tops of the pegs become very sharp from the metal burring over so make sure they are covered with something. Especially as one will inevitably be near a door opening. I find the padded tube type things that are meant for seat belts ideal.

However, some heavy duty, acrylic cord and decent big pegs will do the same job for a lot less. That's what I've done for the centre pole

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I use a conventional external awning strap. I fix one end and then twist the strap half a dozen times before fixing the other end down. This stops the wind buffering (vibration) in very bad winds, I use pound shop ratchet straps from the three upright pole to roof strut points down to ground to help keep our 975cm x 3mtr deep awning in place.

I use dog tie downs (corkscrew type) again from a pound shop as these screwwed into the ground are (A), easy to install and (B) much stronger than conventional pegs. They are also much easier to extract and hardly leave any ground damage behind. I use the caravan steady winding brace as a cross bar to screw the tie downs in and out with ease.

Steve L

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
A different Jim said:
I've got some and they are pretty good, but expensive for what they are. The pegs are very secure and a b*gger to get out afterwards. We spend 3 weeks each year on a cliff top site on the Atlantic coast in south west France which can be very windy and they, combined with other measures, have always done their job.

If the ground is hard you'll need a hefty hammer to get them in and that will give you another problem. The tops of the pegs become very sharp from the metal burring over so make sure they are covered with something. Especially as one will inevitably be near a door opening. I find the padded tube type things that are meant for seat belts ideal.

However, some heavy duty, acrylic cord and decent big pegs will do the same job for a lot less. That's what I've done for the centre pole

Where did you get them from please.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts