Strong Euro?

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Julie,

Yes it definately is stopping me taking my van to the south of France and Spain this year. I usually tour for three months per year,(three seperate trips due to work commitments). Our last trip was to El-Delfin Verde on the Costa Brava last August / September for the best part of four weeks and from door to door it cost us around 2500 pounds all in for two people which I do not consider is value for money.

I am now only restricting the use of my van to the UK for long weekend breaks etc..

We have now reverted back to flying abroad using the cheap airlines and then renting good quality self catering accommodation which for our next trip to Lanzarote works out at half the price I paid last year for the same duration. This year as you quite correctly say, with the strong Euro, touring abroad with a caravan is going to be even more expensive. It's a great shame but if I do have a change of heart and decide to tour abroad with the van again, my choice of destination in Europe will be much closer to the English channel than before.

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Can well see how your Euro travels tots up to so much, Grimbo, but I have just received my tariff from Cuevas Negra at Mojacar, and four months there from November will cost me _1220 (

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Leslie,

I agree with you - the cost involved for long term stays is good value for money. Unfortunately I am not able to do that yet, so a lot of my costs are ferries, tolls, diesel and if my leave periods are in the height of the season then I obviously have to pay the high season pitch prices which are going throught the roof in Spain for this july / august.

By the way my sister lives in Mojacar so I know the area and site you stay at well. Happy trails.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I've noticed in some shops they are only selling euro for 1.24 to the pound.

When we went in February we got 1.31 to the pound through our bank.

It's a big drop from last year when we were getting 1.48 euros to the pound.

Just hoping it goes up a little..

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
I've noticed in some shops they are only selling euro for 1.24 to the pound.

When we went in February we got 1.31 to the pound through our bank.

It's a big drop from last year when we were getting 1.48 euros to the pound.

Just hoping it goes up a little..
Just a thought for you folks. Have you considered what you'd save, (ferry costs and extra fuel for towing) if you left your van in France for the winter on a friendly little site somewhere

for a couple of hundred euros. I know an English owned site in Britany that offers just that. You could tow out to France just the once toward the end of the season leave your van safely on site (with others) return next year only paying extra for the nights you actually are using the facilities, or go off touring

the rest of France or just local Britany.Then back to storage maybe.

B.J.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts