Stuck motor mover

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
I take a slightly different view, when you consider most movers are only asked to move a caravan a few metres each time they're used, a back of an envelope calculation, lets say the distance moved between the car and pitch or storage site is 10m, so for each outing (storage to car, car to holiday site, and back again thats a total of 40m per trip) and the average number of times a caravan is used each year is probably about 6, that's only about 240m per year! In 20 years that less than 5km, £700 for 5km seems quite a lot. :eek:

But the benefit of a mover is not just the distance, its convenience and prevention of injury.(y)
The issue I had with my Truma mover was ageing over time rather than usage. The alloy housings for motors and gearbox corrode over a period of 15 years or so. Leaves them brittle and prone to failure. They did not use any more metal than they had to during manufacture. I’m sure very diligent care including repeated application of anti-corrosive products could mitigate this, but few of us do that. Alloy housings and motors exposed in the British climate have a finite lifespan I fear, whether used or not. Mine is now going well with one new motor though,

Steve

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The issue I had with my Truma mover was ageing over time rather than usage. The alloy housings for motors and gearbox corrode over a period of 15 years or so. Leaves them brittle and prone to failure. They did not use any more metal than they had to during manufacture. I’m sure very diligent care including repeated application of anti-corrosive products could mitigate this, but few of us do that. Alloy housings and motors exposed in the British climate have a finite lifespan I fear, whether used or not. Mine is now going well with one new motor though,

Steve
The gaiters on mine would perish and after replacing them they went a second time allowing water into the motor terminals. . So I did away with them. I cleaned the terminals then reattached the cables. I sealed the area with electrical waterproofing compound. Then I wound self amalgamating waterproof tape over the whole area. Never gave any further trouble.

Reactions: SteveW
Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
The gaiters on mine would perish and after replacing them they went a second time allowing water into the motor terminals. . So I did away with them. I cleaned the terminals then reattached the cables. I sealed the area with electrical waterproofing compound. Then I wound self amalgamating waterproof tape over the whole area. Never gave any further trouble.
Yes the gaiters on mine were pretty rubbish. I just fitted new ones and locked them down with zip ties around the motors. A better connection system for motors that live in a road spray environment could certainly have been designed with a little effort. Caravan grade equipment, oh well,

Steve

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you very handy with your hands a job well done.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts