Stuck motor mover

Sep 4, 2021
Visit site
So hello again. I'm not spamming the board honest, just had a deluge of issue this week 😂 so, we have a moto mover (don't know make). Always been fine. You take a wrench, pop it onto a bolt, wind, and the rollers move onto tyres. Today, the bolt was turning. Not much resistance and the roller never moved an inch. Bolt wasn't threaded. Any clues?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello Steve, never ends eh. Ok ,my thoughts, have you checked both sides of the Motor mover actuation rod. !!! Some MM , motor movers have a cross bar which engage both sides at the same time. But your van being a 2005, might have to engage each side independently.
On my MM once an attachment pin twisted and only on side would engage. It could be that.

Sep 4, 2021
Visit site
Hello Steve, never ends eh. Ok ,my thoughts, have you checked both sides of the Motor mover actuation rod. !!! Some MM , motor movers have a cross bar which engage both sides at the same time. But your van being a 2005, might have to engage each side independently.
On my MM once an attachment pin twisted and only on side would engage. It could be that.
It's defo needing both done independently. One side locked on, the other didn't. Given the helpful DIY tips from you and others here, a reliable motor mover might be in budget at any rate 😂

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you should try to find out what make an model of mover you have. Some mover manufacturers ) are very customer orientated (and some are less interested) and your mover may be repairable far more economically .than going for a replacement

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Steve anything that you are having with your motor mover i would have my caravan engineer to tell me what is wrong and he would sort it for me so i hope someone on here can help you

Reactions: steven_wynn_uk
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Indeed - and the verdict is in. Its terminated, not economical to repair. Looks like another £700 about to go down the drain lol
Ouch. It could happen on any caravan unfortunatley.
But look on it more as an investment for the future ease of caravanning. Powrtouch have a good warranty and a good reputation for customer support and spares if required.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not had one of those. We have a Powrtouch which was moved from the previous caravan to the current one and has been no problem. Before that we had the Purpleline E Go which was no trouble. That was wound on by a winder and was easier if you want less effort to get it on.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yup, all good fun. Local guys recommended an ez move em303, 5yr warranty, mobile fitting at 695
Hi Steve After thirty six years of touring with a caravan we decided due to necessity that we would have one. It was an earlier type but proved to be well worth the time and money spent. Hope that you will have many successful years using it and will make life easier for you.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When I changed my caravan The deal was to move my Powermover MM to the new new caravan. The dealer agreed to my deal of a new Power touch at cost price of £700 saving me at the time £300

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
I was surprised how many motor mover bits there are on eBay seems to be dealers salvaging the parts. Various makes show up. I got a whole new Truma motor/gearbox there for not crazy money. Plus a roller replacement kit.

Steve

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I was surprised how many motor mover bits there are on eBay seems to be dealers salvaging the parts. Various makes show up. I got a whole new Truma motor/gearbox there for not crazy money. Plus a roller replacement kit.

Steve
The dealer we bought our second hand caravan from wouldn't sell with the mover fitted. Said that they are too much of a liability for warranty issues, of course they could just be pulling a fast one

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The dealer we bought our second hand caravan from wouldn't sell with the mover fitted. Said that they are too much of a liability for warranty issues, of course they could just be pulling a fast one
One dealer when I asked about a 2nd hand motor mover told me that they removed them and sold them to a dealer in Europe.

Reactions: Bluetonic
May 11, 2021
Visit site
Our dealer left it on but offered no guarantee that it would work and no support if it didn’t. Luckily it works a charm!

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Ah our used van came from the dealer The Caravan Company, Finedon with mover fitted and proudly advertised. They often have them on their vans. Their support has been good and am sure they would have fixed any problem down to them under warranty. In the event I damaged the rollers (don’t ask) and replaced them myself without pursuing a warranty claim, one motor housing was cracking and worsened by my removal so I replaced that while at it.

Steve

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Ah our used van came from the dealer The Caravan Company, Finedon with mover fitted and proudly advertised. They often have them on their vans. Their support has been good and am sure they would have fixed any problem down to them under warranty. In the event I damaged the rollers (don’t ask) and replaced them myself without pursuing a warranty claim, one motor housing was cracking and worsened by my removal so I replaced that while at it.

Steve
Similar to the caravan dealer at Gloucester our used caravan had a mover and it came with a warranty and at that time we did not have a towcar so they towed it to our Seasonal site and put it on a hard standing service pitch very helpful we gave them a great review .

Reactions: SteveW
Sep 4, 2021
Visit site
So, it's been identified as a Rhyno that has gone bang. No real sale value, but got an em 303 being fitted in 2 weeks. The van will rise like the phoenix 😂😂

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Rhyno were a newcomer to the market many years ago and light weight was their USP. They were always a small business but yours has done well to get this far. The new one will be chalk and cheese.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Worth having a look on EBay before you cast your old bits in the recycling as there are currently control boxes with remotes for sale - and other posts on here will attest the fates that befall some controllers!
I have the EM303 on my van - was fitted on my drive several years ago - been easy to operate the wind on with the articulated brace until the viewing window shows green - and although comes with excellent guarantee has been entirely reliable. Moves the van at a slow walking pace to stop precisely over the tow ball. Soooo much easier getting on and off my awkwardly sloped driveway and effortlessly onto site pitches.
Hope all goes well for you too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It managed I guess nearly 17 years if it was put on when the van was sold. RIP. Its had a good life 😂🙏
I take a slightly different view, when you consider most movers are only asked to move a caravan a few metres each time they're used, a back of an envelope calculation, lets say the distance moved between the car and pitch or storage site is 10m, so for each outing (storage to car, car to holiday site, and back again thats a total of 40m per trip) and the average number of times a caravan is used each year is probably about 6, that's only about 240m per year! In 20 years that less than 5km, £700 for 5km seems quite a lot. :eek:

But the benefit of a mover is not just the distance, its convenience and prevention of injury.(y)

Reactions: SteveW

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts