Stupid license catagory laws

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Argh!!!!

God I hate this country sometimes.

I like many young people these days passed there driving test after aug 1997 meaning i dont have an entitlement to Tow with a B+E catagory on my license only B.

Now because of this stupid rule I can legally tow my Caravan with my volvo estate the laden wieght of the trailer is less than the unladen weight of the towcar and the MAM of them both is less than 3.5t. NOw i've worked it out to be about 75-80% towing capacity.

Now whats the probelm you may ask? Well the veehicle I NEED to tow the caravan with is a Hilux pickup. Now with this veichle even though the total train weight will easily be under my max of 3.5t I can not tow it as the MAM of them both is over 4t. With the Hilux the veichel with be towing about 45-50% which is nothing.

Why is it they couldnt have just made the license catagory so that if the vehicle is not towing over 100% and they both loaded up, weigh less than 3.5t then thats fine.

ARGH!!!!!

God things are soo complicated sometimes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't think you can put all the blame for this law on the UK government. I think this is a directive from those idiots in control in Brussels in the EU. As Mr. Pickwick said and repeated by Sir Winston Churchill "The law is an ass". If only either he or Lady Thatcher were in power now.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Fair enough i suppose I just cant understand how it is okay on one vehicle but not on the other. they are both effectively cars but the one that in my opinion it is safer to tow with is the one i'm not allowed to tow with

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
All licence categories are based on MAM not on actual GVW or gross train weight. If this were not the case, the police would have to weigh each vehicle if they suspect that someone is driving something too heavy for his/her licence. As the law stands, in cases of doubt, all they have to do is to look at the vehicle VIN plate.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't think you can put all the blame for this law on the UK government. I think this is a directive from those idiots in control in Brussels in the EU. As Mr. Pickwick said and repeated by Sir Winston Churchill "The law is an ass". If only either he or Lady Thatcher were in power now.
Even under Churchill and Mrs. Thatcher, driving licences were based on MAM.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts