Stupid question of the day!

Sep 1, 2006
Visit site
Have just purchased an Avondale 550/4 from my parents. I have a choice of tow car (both within the 85% rule). Land Rover Discovery V8 that is LPG converted, or a Rover 75 diesel tourer. Heart says Discovery, head says Rover. I have over 20 years experience of towing (horse box etc..). I feel embarrased to ask the question but i'm getting different opinions from those "in the know" and those who just think they know. This is an honest post so all thoughts appreciated.

Feb 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi, This is the $64 question. There will be benefits for both but just because the Rover 75 is within the 85% rule it doesn't mean to say that it will be capable of towing comfortably, the Avondale 550/4 is not a light weight 'van by any means and I would therefore be very concerned over its pulling efficienty. The L/Rover would walk away with it without a doubt. I can only personally say that I would be extremely cautious of the Rover 75, on the flat, ok, but up hill's and pulling away on a hill should you be forced to stop which will at sometime happen would worry me. Sorry I can't be more positive. Rob.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
It goes without saying that the landrover will be the safer choice as its by far the heaviest vehicle and has a bit more power to boot, but from experiance i will say that the rover will have no problems what so ever with the van, my father had a 75 tourer diesel and towed a coachman pastiche 530/4 with it. the van is heavier than the avondale and the car never once appeared to strugle whether on the flat or uphill, loads of power available and good torque levels on top of this it was a very comfortable car to drive in over long distances.

At the end of the day you have two vehicles to choose from, i would try both and then make my mind up which i felt happier with.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I wouldn't even pause for thought, it has to be the Disco. Reasons 1. The vast margin of safety when towing at probably about a 50% ratio which will give you peace of mind about ever getting stuck, ever having a snake or worrying about lack of power.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
blow pressed the wrong key!!!

2. It's LPG so it's cheap to run and green.

3. If it is also Auto that's another bonus

4. If you need to it will also tow horse boxes, a 75 will not.

Aint you a lucky girl to have a choice though but I think it's a no brainer and that comes from towing with conventional vehicles and large 4x4's.

Listen to people who have tried both types of vehicle not just "experts" who have an opinion, or as you say people who think they know but have no experience.

Beware also of the " My normal family car will pull anything" brigade of which there are a few posting on this forum, they range from mildly ecentric to downright dangerous if their advice is taken

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Labradorlass,

the Disco is the obvious choice for towing, but how many miles do you tow, and how many do you drive solo?

I'm not a fan of either but i'd have to go for the Rover as i do 80-90 per cent of my driving solo. The Rover would suit this purpose better, and still tow the van when asked with no problems,

good luck with the one you choose,

Gavin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello all,

I must point out that the 85% figure is only a guideline. In its self it does not gurantee that any outfit will be a good match, but I do agree that it is a sensible target in most cases. Always check that your tug is in fact able to pull the mass of the caravan, as some cars are rated to less than 85%

Do not forget that the way a an outfit is loaded can have almost as much influence on stability.

In your case Labradorlass, you experience of hores boxes will put you in good stead for towing a caravan, If you think of the caravan as being as valuable and delicate as your equine loads and drive as thoughtfully then you should have no problems.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
John L has a good point.

However what you have to ballance is what you would use the tow vehicle for the 80% of the time it is not towing?

Yes a Disco would tow the van and not notice it, but what about parking in the town and those lovely NCP carparks.

LPG is fine for now until Gordon Brown gets a plan to tax it like petrol and believe me he will!!

Take a look at service cost's too. Rover might of disappeared but there are plenty of ex Rover francise, privateers who can look after your car.

I guess by your handle (sign on name) that you might have a lab or two. I have a white ***** and a chocolate dog. The dog doesn't like jumping into our Laguna estate much and that is quite low to the ground, which might be another consideration.

With a Disco you might get the door foling in the van when hitched , but unlikely on the Rover.

Just a few observations to help you decide as realy it's your choice based on your expectations and requirements.

All the best. Steve L

Sep 1, 2006
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply to my post. I guess deep down I really wanted to use my Disco to tug my new Avondale. Have today booked the Disco in for additional electrics and fitting of Alko towball. Long weekend away is also booked for October. After 12 months of reading the forum thinking "one day i'll be a caravaner" at last I am.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts