Suggestions for easy removal of battery cables please

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
For technical reasons I need to tow my caravan with the battery not connected and I'm looking for some ideas on how to make a connection to allow for connection/disconnection easily.

Now I could use some quick release clamps that I already have but the battery takes up most of the space in the battery box which leaves virtually no room at the front to allow the clamps to be fitted without pushing on the door. The clamps are those shown below. Right now I'm resigned to using the regular clamps and just using a spanner on one terminal to release or tighten the clamp.

The other thought I have is to put in a circuit breaker. Althougth the cables to the battery are from the mover motor and the caravan electrics, the motor mover already has an isolator so I might just be able to isolated the caravan supply.

Other suggestions welcome please.

Capture.JPG

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A few of suggestions.

These quick release take up less room above and might do the job.

Or perhaps this idea.

Or, if there is room, get ‘L’ shaped brackets so the connections come at the side of the battery, if there is room.

I did this using 15mm copper fittings. The cheeky service engineer removed them and charged me for the privilege. When I asked why, he said it was because the terminals were exposed. I said, it,s a battery, that's how they are made, exposed terminals.

I did not use him again.

But it would also be possible to fit an isolator on the live, behind the battery box.

John

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Could you use the quick release clamps BUT slip a plastic terminal protector over the battery Post first? The sort that come on new batteries to protect the posts, they aren’t very thick and might still allow the clamp to be closed down onto the now insulated post.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
For safety the best option is to disconnect and isolate the NEGATIVE battery cable to ensure there are no issues with earthing continuity through the chassis and tow ball.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. The problem is that there is virtually no room to take off cables from the battery terminals other than to the front. The quick release clamps I have do work but I have to press hard on the battery box door to get it to latch closed. Not ideal.

If I could find the master fuse to the battery that might help in the short term.

Next trip is in a few days and I'll see how it goes with just undoing the regular clamps. We really only need the battery to drive the motor mover - not so much a problem on most sites but an absolute necessity when getting home.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. The problem is that there is virtually no room to take off cables from the battery terminals other than to the front. The quick release clamps I have do work but I have to press hard on the battery box door to get it to latch closed. Not ideal.

If I could find the master fuse to the battery that might help in the short term.

Next trip is in a few days and I'll see how it goes with just undoing the regular clamps. We really only need the battery to drive the motor mover - not so much a problem on most sites but an absolute necessity when getting home.
The Master fuse is usually within 12/18 inches of the battery terminal. Follow the cable..
My battery is a tight fit. Needs the battery pulling 2” out of the box to undo the clamps.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For technical reasons I need to tow my caravan with the battery not connected and I'm looking for some ideas on how to make a connection to allow for connection/disconnection easily.

Now I could use some quick release clamps that I already have but the battery takes up most of the space in the battery box which leaves virtually no room at the front to allow the clamps to be fitted without pushing on the door. The clamps are those shown below. Right now I'm resigned to using the regular clamps and just using a spanner on one terminal to release or tighten the clamp.

The other thought I have is to put in a circuit breaker. Althougth the cables to the battery are from the mover motor and the caravan electrics, the motor mover already has an isolator so I might just be able to isolated the caravan supply.

Other suggestions welcome please.

View attachment 4530
Those clamps are very nice if you have the room to open them when battery is in its location.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From the way the thread has developed it seems you have very little space for any type of quick release connectors, I suggest considering an isolator switch where you can easily access it. Normally it only needs the positive but for complete peace of mind consider a double pole to disconnect both 12V and Ov cables.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We really only need the battery to drive the motor mover - not so much a problem on most sites but an absolute necessity when getting home.

Buy a smaller battery, movers despite some claims require very little "energy"; just a battery with a reasonable stained current delivery, not the same characteristic as "energy capacity".

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Buy a smaller battery, movers despite some claims require very little "energy"; just a battery with a reasonable stained current delivery, not the same characteristic as "energy capacity".
Somewhat of an expensive solution compared to some clamps and considering my battery is brand new anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts