Suggestions please - urgent

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Regular contributors will know that we had planned to take our caravan up to Scandinavia this year, but due to unforeseen circumstances we are now unable to do this trip any more because we have lost too much time. We had previously arranged to see friends in the Midlands in August and so we've now made a spontaneous decision to take the caravan with us and tour England for a couple of weeks instead before visiting them. As we haven't planned anything or even booked a ferry, but want to leave sometime next weekend, we don't really know where to go. I appreciate that we'll be running into the holiday season and finding a site which isn't fully booked may be a problem so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a couple of locations with a reasonably good chance of finding a vacant pitch if we just turn up. As I said, nothing is planned so we're open to suggestions for any part of the country. We prefer sites that are quiet and maybe a bit off the main tourist areas but nevertheless in a pleasant setting. We don't need a lot of facilities although, if we stay anywhere for more than just a day or two, we don't necessarily want to use CL sites. We're members of the CC so recommendations of any of their sites would be appreciated.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lutz.We are staying at "Old Oaks Touring Site" at the moment 3 miles from Glastonbury.

If it peace and tranquility your after,then this must be the site for you.

Adults only and a dog friendly site(although weve never heard any barking dogs yet).

After about 8 pm until 9 am...there is no noise whatsoever.

Pitches and grounds are fantastically landscaped and there does seem to be vacancies here at the moment.

If you want any more info,let me know.

Adrian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz

As you are a member of the CC can I suggest, if you haven't already done so, to search the Club's site finder. I have just had a look at this and note that most of the club sites are filling up as we "speak". The one site that has space at the moment, and a site that I know, is Morn Hill in Winchester. Assuming that you will be arriving via Dover, Winchester is maybe a 3 hours tow. There are spaces at Rookesbury too but not at week ends. But the CC site will give you an idea and of course you can book in on line. Hope this helps, and repays in some small way the help you readily give to the forum members.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Thanks to you both. Yes, I've spent quite a lot of time this weekend searching through the Sites Directory and I appreciate that I can check for spaces available by logging into the CC website. It's just that I don't know what kind of surrounding countryside to expect. As I said, we'd like to find a really picturesque and quiet location, but nearly all the descriptions in the directory are very complimentary and that makes it difficult decide which is particularly attractive.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz

There are two sites in England I can thoroughly recommend. These being Lucksall in Hereford and the second being Widend Touring Park at Paignton. Both these sites are quiet and with excellent amenities facilities. We have stayed many times at both sites and have no complaints whatsoever.

Good luck and hopefully you and your family will have an enjoyable stay in the U.K. All I ask of you is to bring fine weather with you.

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
I can second the Old Oaks suggestion from Adrian above, it really is a beautiful, well kept site with some of the best wardens/owners around. The views are wonderful, it's very peaceful, and there are some lovely places to visit nearby. I recommend Wells, Cheddar (avoid the caves, overpriced and touristy, but the village is pretty), and Porlock Weir.....bit further away from Glastonbury but well worth the drive. Glastonbury itself is, umm, interesting, lol. The town of Street, not far away, is home to the Clarks Outlet shopping village - a mecca for shopaholics, but actually a very pleasant place to visit, with a sort of cosmopolitan feel and plenty of places to sit outside some nice cafes.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
A site that I can recommend is the CC managed site at Doldowlod.

It has EHU, no shower block but is in a nice area.

There's a nice walk directly offsite along the River Wye where dippers, kingfishers, red kites and if you're lucky, otters can be seen. Only a few miles away is the market town of Rhayader and the Elan Valley dams, about five in all. It is also popular walking/cycling country.

From the dams you can drive to Devils Bridge through some bleak countryside (it's called the mountain road but not much sign of mountains) and catch the Vale of Rheidol narrow guage train to Aberystwyth. It's a hour each way and cost about

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Just being cheeky and asking a question regarding campsites and reviews. Will the new upgrade support pics of sites because these show a site better than any words can do.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
lutz, little paddocks CL, in ringwood, dorset has just had a cancellation from now until 22nd july. they had a no show.

swimming pool, tennis, sauna, spa, chimenias, picnic benches. what more could you ask for lol

good luck

keep us posted

jo

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
lutz, little paddocks CL, in ringwood, dorset has just had a cancellation from now until 22nd july. they had a no show.

swimming pool, tennis, sauna, spa, chimenias, picnic benches. what more could you ask for lol

good luck

keep us posted

jo
you dont have to book all of it tho lol.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Thanks everybody for your suggestions. We'll keep them all in mind. You're very helpful.

Meanwhile I've done a bit of research myself and come up with the following sites which also sound promising to me:

1. Low Moor near Whitby

2. The Howard north of Pickering

3. Strid Wood

4. Wharfedale

Any comments on any of the above (they are all located in parts of the country that we've never been to before)?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz

I have stayed at both the CC site near Whitby and the one in Wharfedale. The Whitby site is few miles out from Whitby and has no toilet or shower block. Whitby is an attractive town with a lot of history and good fish and chips! The Wharfedale site is approx 1.5 miles (2 kms) from the very attractive village of Grassington. Grassington has a lot of old world charm and some excellent pubs. There is also some stunning scenery around this area as you are in the dales. A drive up the dale from Grassington through Kilsney, stopping for a pint at the Tennant Arms, over the pass at Yockenthwaite and into Hawes is an excellent day out. By choice I would go for Wharfedale. There is also a CC site at Hawes, Brown Moor, but I see they have limited spaces at present.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
How about Northumberland? River Breamish Caravan Club site is surrounded by great scenery and interesting spots to visit. And if you could get a place on D.F.D.S. Ijmuiden to the Tyne that would save a lot of driving both ends. You never know you might just get lucky with the ferry.

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
hi lutz , try kent, easy get off the ferry at dover & you are already in kent , 20/30 minutes & you could be on site ,drove past a little site the other day in nicolas st wade , about 8 caravans & 15 tents on site lovely pub 2 minute walk , local towns to visit , whitstable , tankerton ,broadstairs, canterbury , deal , dover , folkstone plus many more , believe me you will want to thank me ...hasbo

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Lutz,

I find this website very good,

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk
you can search by map, ie, position your cursor and it will show you all sites within a specified radius, you can specify what facilities you require, but the feature I find most useful is the reviews from people who have stayed on the sites, very handy for finding out about the state of the toilets, showers, late night noise etc etc.

Good luck,

Jim.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Thanks to one and all. I've taken note of your suggestions and recommendations. We're leaving home tomorrow and then we'll see where the road takes us. Maybe we'll bump into some of you during our travels (not literally, I hope).

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Lutz

You havn't said where you prefer to go but if your fancy should turn to North Norfolk can I put in a good word for Fakenham Racecourse. You should be OK to find a pitch here at such a late stage. We stayed a few days here last year and were really pleased with this choice. You are in close proximity to many coastal resorts from here and Sandringham is just down the road with the interesting Kings Lynn. Norwich is not too far either if you want a city fix. You will walk into Fakenham which is a pretty and very typical English town especially on market day.

There is a golf course next door and a municiple sportscenter with restaurant/bar open each night serving nice inexpensive food. The site is clean/quiet and we found it very interesting to be pitched within a horse racing environment so to speak. Not of course if there is a race meeting when I believe all outfits are moved to a central area so you would have to check this out when booking.

Whatever you do have a nice holiday.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts