Sunncamp Ultima Awning

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi folks! I have a Sunncamp Ultima awning (two bays), bought new. But it is the most awful fit! Try as I might, but I cannot get the bottom of the awning to fit anywhere near the caravan, despite the instruction to peg the bottom under the caravan to make it fit. I am using it with a 2006 Lunar Quasar. I feel the rods are too long and am tempted to shorten them. Has anyone else had a similar problem with this type of awning, and how did you overcome it? Many thanks, David.

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi David, I think all of us that have these porch awnings have the same problem. What I do , is select either a dead flat pitch, or better still, find one, if you can, where the ground, as you leave the door, where the ground rises away from the van. A comptomise I find is, fit the awning at the rear of the rail, when the rear of the 'van is closer to the ground, ie van facing down hill. Hope I've explained clearly for you? Terry.

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi David, I think all of us that have these porch awnings have the same problem. What I do , is select either a dead flat pitch, or better still, find one, if you can, where the ground, as you leave the door, where the ground rises away from the van. A comptomise I find is, fit the awning at the rear of the rail, when the rear of the 'van is closer to the ground, ie van facing down hill. Hope I've explained clearly for you? Terry.
Thought further about shortening the rods, don't! Make sure you have fully released the adjusters on the awning adjacent to the pole ends.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
I have shortened the poles by 3 inches & it resulted in a much better fit.what I did was to get the van on level ground & measured the height of the awning rail & compared it with the awning rail height requirment as stated by Sunncamp then cut the poles to suit until I obtained a reasonable fit

It took a couple of goes to get it right cutting of a bit at a time (remove rubber end caps & refit after cutting)

But I have not been able to cure the leaky seams on this awning though

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Terry! I've even tried jacking the van up and putting blocks under the wheels! That did result in an improvement which led me to believe that the rods are too long. Many thanks, David

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I've got a 390 and have no problems, peg out the two van side corners though before bending the poles into position then guy rope outwards at right angles the outer poles, fit poles across inside peg out, tighten the straps for the poles and guy properly. Has stayed put with little gapping through some awful winds

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
"But I have not been able to cure the leaky seams on this awning though"

Hi Tony i also have a new sunncamp porch awning it leaks along the seam above the door is this normal?Before i send it back.

Before this one i had a 'base camp' cheap awning that never leaked a drop over 4yrs.

andrew.

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
I have shortened the poles by 3 inches & it resulted in a much better fit.what I did was to get the van on level ground & measured the height of the awning rail & compared it with the awning rail height requirment as stated by Sunncamp then cut the poles to suit until I obtained a reasonable fit

It took a couple of goes to get it right cutting of a bit at a time (remove rubber end caps & refit after cutting)

But I have not been able to cure the leaky seams on this awning though
Thank you Tony! My awning rail height is 235mm, the minimum Sunncamp recommend, so I am inclined to follow your example and shorten the rods. I have emailed Sunncamp with details of the problem but have not had a reply; I wonder if their silence is telling me something?! Best wishes and thanks for your input, David

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
I've got a 390 and have no problems, peg out the two van side corners though before bending the poles into position then guy rope outwards at right angles the outer poles, fit poles across inside peg out, tighten the straps for the poles and guy properly. Has stayed put with little gapping through some awful winds
Thank you Martin. I have noticed on site that other folk don't seem to have my problem so I wonder if there is a variation in the manufacturing tolerances, or is it the shape of the 'van roof that differs. At present I am leaning towards shortening the rods but that is a one way route! I've got my hacksaw in one hand and my wife is hanging onto my arm begging me to "find another way"! Best wishes, David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts