Super Moon

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
For any stargazers out there:
From NASA website: Mark your calendar. On March 19th, a full Moon of rare size and beauty will rise in the east at sunset. It's a super "perigee moon"--the biggest in almost 20 years.
"The last full Moon so big and close to Earth occurred in March of 1983," says Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory in Washington DC. "I'd say it's worth a look."
Full Moons vary in size because of the oval shape of the Moon's orbit. It is an ellipse with one side (perigee) about 50,000 km closer to Earth than the other (apogee): diagram. Nearby perigee moons are about 14% bigger and 30% brighter than lesser moons that occur on the apogee side of the Moon's orbit.The best time to look is when the Moon is near the horizon. That is when illusion mixes with reality to produce a truly stunning view. For reasons not fully understood by astronomers or psychologists, low-hanging Moons look unnaturally large when they beam through trees, buildings and other foreground objects. On March 19th, why not let the "Moon illusion" amplify a full Moon that's extra-big to begin with? The swollen orb rising in the east at sunset may seem so nearby, you can almost reach out and touch it.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for your post, I have it in my diary to check it out, but I'd totally forgotten about it. I hope its a clear night.

Thanks again.

Lisa

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
LMH said:
Hi

Thanks for your post, I have it in my diary to check it out, but I'd totally forgotten about it. I hope its a clear night.

Thanks again.

Lisa

Well if it is cloudy don't get disappointed cos I'll moon ya
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
LMH said:
Hi

Thanks again.

Lisa

Well if it is cloudy don't get disappointed cos I'll moon ya
smiley-laughing.gif
Thanks for that LB ,lets hope the weather picks up!Actually the forecast looks good for most of the Uk

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Well I don't know about others but I was quite disappointed with the moon. Bright yes but I couldn't see how it was any bigger than normal. I've seen the moon much larger than that in recent times although not as bright.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It was quite impressive when it rose at around 18:45pm last Saturday, it looked larger than usual on the horizon against the Shropshire hills from our rally field but I'd agree that it looked normal when we went back to our caravan after a St Patrick's themed night with our fellow ralliers.
The only thing for me was that I couldn't decide which one of the two that I could see was the real moon
beak.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well LB, having to take our dog out for a pee in the back garden at 3oclock am the moon was very bright and huge, I had to shade my eyes to see were the dog was. Mind you I do use Specsavers

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Don't laugh at me but................
Every time there is a full moon my ex wife goes bonkers, last week she surpassed herself. she is a nutter
smiley-tongue-out.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts