supermarche whats your favourites? cheapest?

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
hi we are going to brittany in the summer! really looking forward to it. The nearest supermarket looks to be intermarche and there is a E.Lecerc about 30 mins away. I remember going to e.leclerc in the dordogne when i was little. Which do you find to be better value?
I like to shop at aldi here myself!! (v. reasonable!!)
thanks x

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
We tend to use whichever is the nearest or whichever we happen to pass whilst out and about. My leisure time is too valuable to spend driving to supermarkets. I don't think there's that much difference in the prices to warrant a 30 minute journey each way to save a couple of Euros. I don't know if there's a Super U near you but I have found them basic but cheap in the past.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LeClerc is usually the cheapest for fuel, especially if there is another supermarket near by. Over the years we have tried them all but no one in particular stands out. I think it depends to some extend on the supermarket refurbishment programme stands. For example, in the Dax area, the LeClerc at St. Vincent was preferred to the Carrefour in Dax, not least as having easier access, but now it's looking a bit old and tierd whereas the Carrefour was extensively refurbished last year and seems to have a much better range and very competitive prices. You will find Lidl and Aldi too - just do a Google search before you leave home.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Like Chrisbee we generally use the nearest - but our preference if there was a choice would be HyperU - which we think is the cleanest looking (especially the new ones), and generally has a good choice and range of products. Where we are now there's a HyperU and just nearby a Lidl, so we've been doing a 'joint' shop - Lidl first, and anything we can't get there, or don't fancy, we'll get from the HyperU or even from our campsite shop (a 'Utile' - which is the local version of the 'U' supermarkets, and offers their 'value' products). Then we use the little shops in towns and villages for breads, pastries, quiches, tart(e)s etc. and did a lovely shop in Les Halles in Narbonne, but sadly that cost us an arm and a leg, and in the end wasn't really any better than the supermarket produce - sad as that sounds. I used to love markets, but at this time of year, when there aren't too many buyers around, some produce, particularly fruit and veg, is sometimes looking as it if might have been out in the sun for too long - so we've stuck to the supermarket for fruit and vegetables - though we did buy some very nice apricots and strawberries today from a local grower (unfortunately all in poly-tunnels!!!!!)
We had a Lidl chicken yesterday, which cost just 3 euros 59 cents, a 'Poulet Jaune' (or corn fed out door chicken) and it was absolutely delicious. We also had some crevettes (prawns in shells) from the HyperU, last week, which during the week are 5.95 a kilo, but at the weekend rose to 11.95 - we'll wait until they come down again before buying some more. Tip - suggest you try shopping mid-week, and avoid the weekends, and we've notices prices seem to rise.
Fuel here at the HyperU, today, is 1.337 for diesel (didn't notice unleaded price, sorry) which at an exchange rate of 1.25 to the £ is a much better deal than last year!

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
we are staying at the same campsite for 15 nights so im sure a trip out for half an hour will be like a day out lol.(and tbh we wont get much laying about done!) I was thinking of the kids too i remember that e.leclerc had a good toy selection. They will have spending money you see. I like to look at the different stuff anyway, we once took my teenage friend with us camping and when we went to the supermarket we used to go sniffing all the shampoo!!!! (it always smelled so much nicer than ours!?) i may do that again........................
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
We are fortunate in that we have a E. Lecerc, Carrefour, Lidl & an InterMarche all within about 10 minutes from where we live & apart from Lidl there is very little to chose between them pricewise.

We use Lidl for fruit & veg & foul, their duck breasts, chickens & turkey are very good quality & much cheaper than the others.
Then it's down to what we want, E. Lecerc has a better good quality bread & cake selection, Intermarche has a better seafood selection & Carrefour has a better pet food selection but that is our local shops, others may vary.

The best, although not so common & more expensive are the Auchan Hypermarkets.

At all the supermarkets you will see a lot more local/regional produce than you see in the UK & very little fruit & veg 'out of season', you will also not see many BOGOF offers either.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
When my children were small, a "quick trip" to the supermarche lasted much of the day, as they had so much fun. They always managed to spend their pocket money first time out!

Jo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
re the toys.
they are cheaper here in england mostly. we buy them here and take them with us for the kids to open build etc.
e'leclerc we like but always end up in the auchan on the way back...they do do multi buys but you have to make sure you get the discounts keep an eye on it as it passes the checkout girls because some of them will not do you any favours....

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
that sounds more positive lol!! i was begining to think i was the only one who liked to go to the shops! kids like to look at different stuff dont they all the french brands and labels and if we have anything similar like the cereal etc. When i used to go to france with my family in a tent to a municipal in beaulieu sur la dordogne a trip to the supermarket e.leclerc was a highlight!!!! I remember getting this tiny little baby doll with other bits and pieces i loved it.
maybe you might know if the supermarkets will have lego?
it probably sounds like im fussing alot but its better to be prepared- and to save a hell of a lot of wittering and wingeing!
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
hi,
yes you can get lego and some do their own brand which matches also.
our kids love the shops looking at all the different things go and enjoy
smiley-wink.gif

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Auchan is a good place to shop, really big and plenty of choice, you could almost get lost in them, SuperU are handy and reasonable, they have some good promotions on meat, you can get 10 huge porc chops for €3, Leclerc are ok, can be quite pricey in the busy holiday towns, Lidl and Aldi are always empty, mainly shopped by the brits over here.

TRENDING THREADS