Supermarket fuel rip off again

May 21, 2008
Visit site
At our local M****sons supermarket thye have "convieniently" put up their fuel by 1p on Saturday 2nd May. Coincidentally they did exactly the same on the Easter break. Also just prior to the budget 2p went on fuel.

Now I might be wrong, but to me this type of price hyping smacks of out and out profiteering. As I see it they put the pre budget increase inplace trying to anticipate Mr Darling's speach. The other increases are there just to capitalise on the fact that we (the public) would be wanting to enjoy ourselves!!

Surely with the current financial crisis we are all suffering, you would think that the supermarkets having still made increased profits on their food sales, would be more encouraged to promote their image by making a weekend break away more affordable.

While they are price crunching their food prices to encourage custom, it appears the motorists are being crushed at the fuel pumps to make up the profit margin's.

Steve L.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not sure really, as our local Morrisons has been at 99.9 for diesel for absolutely ages, in fact I can't remember the last time it went up. As fuel varies area to area, and all the filling stations compare prices (I know this as my dad used to francise a filling station and we spent many a Sunday driving round comparing prices for him), maybe it just happened to coincide with the bank holidays, Easter and the budget.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l live in Macclesfield where diesel at Tesco is considerably dearer than Tesco's at Handforth 5 miles away due to the garages in our area running a cartel.

On another note on last nights news did you see all the oil tankers parked up in the channel on instructions from their owners waiting for the summer price increase in fuel.

Don't tell me Gordons not aware of them.

NigelH

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I can never understand why there are 2 Mossa's stores in my area about 5 mile apart and the one is always 1p a litre dearer than the other.

There's no logical reason for it.

I agree prices always seem to creep up for the summer especially , and with the prospect of more folks staying at home then you can see the petrol companies raking it in again.

I pay little attention now to where's the cheapest I just fill up at a station thats on my regular journey. After all 1p a litre means 65p more per tank full which equates to about 3-4 miles for me , hardly worth speding extra time and travel to find that 1p saving.

I fill up when I need to (when the guage is about 1/4 full) genrally at the Mossa's near work as that is either usually the cheapest or one of the cheapest on my route. I collect the points and get a

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Roger.

Your comment about two stores from the same brand having fuel stations with differing prices in your lacallity, goes a long way to supporting my theory that there is no need for the higher price other than to make more profit.

Like you I save for those

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Good old rip-off Britain! Go to France, go to Spain and there you'll find the cheapest fuel is at the hypermarkets - usually the equivalent of 3 to 4p per litre cheaper than other garages. But for years in Britain quite often the dearest fuel will be found at the supermarkets. The website Jo-anne referred to is Petrolprices.com. We are going to the Lake District next week and I've already printed off the 10 cheapest filling stations closest to our area's post code. In the list of ten, the cheapest filling stations are the local service stations or garages. The two dearest are Morrisons and Tesco. As Tesco say, "Every little helps" - to increase our profits!!!

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Steve , your dead right about some Shell garages being cheaper

There's one just of M6 Junc 7 who is pretty much 2p cheaper than everywhere else and V Diesel is usually the same as supermaket normal diesel

I try and fill up there when I can as its on the way home after I've been to a home game at Villa Park but that too irregular. My nearest Shell it not on route and doesn't tend to be any cheaper anyway.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
As there is no Shell garage clsoe by, I pay 2p extra and fill up at the BP service station. My diesel now smokes less and I get a few extra miles per gallon.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not sure of the price now but until a few days ago the Shell diesel fuel at the M4 Services (Sarn Park J36) was 2p. cheaper than the local Tesco 3 miles away. Sainsburys on the retail park next to the motorway services was the same price as the services but after a day or two they undercut the services by 1p. The benifit with Tesco is at present they give double points on fuel for spending in the store so taking this into consideration they may be looked upon as being competative to other fuel stations.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts