Supermarket shopping abnormalities

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wasn't there any issue with Toblerone where they reduced the size, but increased the price. Also I think a washing powder did similar with same size box with less contents at a slightly lower price which worked out more expensive than the original size with more content.
Wasn't there any issue with Toblerone where they reduced the size, but increased the price. Also I think a washing powder did similar with same size box with less contents at a slightly lower price which worked out more expensive than the original size with more content.
Has anyone not noticed the reduction in quantity in crisp packets over the years, and it cannot all be down to reduced salt and fat!!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The mislabelling of the shelf sticker I put down to errors, mainly local to that shop and don't assume it's a "another trick" aimed to deliberately deceive.

We try exclusively to use the scan as you shop "zappers" so access the same computer base as a cashier's till would, so it matters not really to us what the shelf label says, or even if it is missing, we know what we will be charged.
I have been known to find someone to inform of an error, but normally just ignore them unless potentially it could save us big time!

Plus, typically it is way faster to check out, and also only involves packing our carriers the once, apart from rare "check scans", five items or even rarer, the lot. Then I am far from pleased.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had to go to Tesco, a few months ago, in RMK. ( Rural Milton Keynes) and saw the sliced ham Mrs H normally bought on line, getting it home Mrs H noticed it was 45 Pence cheaper than the same product bought two days earlier.
How many other items are priced up for delivery. ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Another quirk is how some of the S/Mt's have smaller convenience stores selling the same goods but at higher prices.

And there are some supermarkets who know they are the only one for couple of miles and their prices can be substantially higher.

Milk is another product where the price in the majors is £1.09 for 4 pints (2.27L) but in some of what are perceived as discounters where milk is more expensive at £1.23 and its only for 2L. - and I'm sure they rely on the fact that seen in isolation the 2L bottle can easily be mistaken for the 4 Pint bottle.

Its a rat race out there and you do need to savvy about some of the selling strategies if you really want to watch the pennies.

Reactions: Buckman and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We signed up for a local milk delivery every week, 1 pint twice a week. To keep local milk going. Not much I know. But.
It turns out its a country wide thing so went back to a 4 pint a week Lidl supply , 1/2 -the price.
There is helping others and helping yourself.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We get our milk from Asda on home delivery 4 pints £1.09 6 pints £ 1.59
But Tesco 4 pints £1.09 6 pints milk £1.50
Some prices are different
But Asda home delivery never let us down through Lockdown .so we are happy to pay the 9 pence extra to each its own

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard and Ann
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We use Morrisons and Sainburys for home delivery. Morrisons are terrible. Would you believe they have no stock of water? Main gripe is their substitutes. Ordered a bottle of whisky and they send two half jacks at a higher price when a similar different brand of whisky would have been cheaper. Instead ot 4 x 2l coke zero got sent 4 packs of coke zero and nearly double the cost.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I must be genetically linked to whichever Prime Minister it was that had no idea what the price of milk was, or in my case anything else that comes from the supermarket. Although I do know what 3 bottles of Chateau neuf du Paper cost as they get us over the £40 target for our initial delivery order. Then 6 days later they will be removed when the real list is submitted.
. Although I’m always up to speed on the local price of premium fuels. 👍

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Although I do know what 3 bottles of Chateau neuf du Paper cost as they get us over the £40 target for our initial delivery order. Then 6 days later they will be removed when the real list is submitted.

Found it easier to simply buy two bottles of whiskey to take you over the £40 mark when booking. At least with Sainsbury you only need to £25 to make the booking.
Most weeks we place the same order with Morrisons and Sainsbury and then 3 days before delivery we cancel the one that we are not going to use. A bit naughty, but then you generally get the order without substitutes.
Surprisingly we have on occasions found Sainsbury cheaper than Morrisons, but generally Sainsburys is about £2 =3 more expensive the quality is better. Now considering that when things return to "normal" we may make Sainsburys our main shopping supermarket after LIDL.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Found it easier to simply buy two bottles of whiskey to take you over the £40 mark when booking. At least with Sainsbury you only need to £25 to make the booking.
Most weeks we place the same order with Morrisons and Sainsbury and then 3 days before delivery we cancel the one that we are not going to use. A bit naughty, but then you generally get the order without substitutes.
Surprisingly we have on occasions found Sainsbury cheaper than Morrisons, but generally Sainsburys is about £2 =3 more expensive the quality is better. Now considering that when things return to "normal" we may make Sainsburys our main shopping supermarket after LIDL.
At £25 the delivery charge is £7. Above £40 it reduces to between £4.50 to £1.00.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not been in sainsbuys since their woke racist comments. "we're creating a safe space for blacks at our stores and anyone that doesn't like it is welcome to shop elsewhere" it's their 'Ratner' moment 😁
Did they actually say that or are you referring to the Christmas advert that drew some criticism from people like Laurence Fox and others?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Has lockdown really brough us to this. We have been emascualted. Grown men discussing the supermarket prices and how to save a penny.

Beam me up Scotty.

Reactions: Jcloughie
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Blow saving money. In and out as fast as I can with supermarkets, and thats nowt to do with Covid. I suffer from trolley rage :)

Evry minute comparing prices is a minute I will never get back. Different of course when haggling for cars and caravans, but a tin of soup, really?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Blow saving money. In and out as fast as I can with supermarkets, and thats nowt to do with Covid. I suffer from trolley rage :)

Evry minute comparing prices is a minute I will never get back. Different of course when haggling for cars and caravans, but a tin of soup, really?

In case you missed it the OP was about ONLINE shopping which I do as OH is not very tech savvy.
I agree that the only way to do shopping in a supermarket is to get in and out as fast as possible. :D

Reactions: Jcloughie

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Not been in sainsbuys since their woke racist comments. "we're creating a safe space for blacks at our stores and anyone that doesn't like it is welcome to shop elsewhere" it's their 'Ratner' moment 😁
I seriously considered removing the quoted comment.
This thread is about online shopping, not which stores you boycott because you dislike their policies on race relations.
It's for each individual to decide for themselves where they shop and why they shop at a particular store.
If you really must add slightly incendiary comments, the very least you could do would be to stick to accurate facts.
Sainsbury's appeared to upset some shoppers with their support of Black History Month.
The safe spaces that Sainsbury's were promoting are online resources which can be used primarily by BAME Sainsbury employees to share their day to day experiences.
The supermarket don't actually reserve an in store cordoned off area in which ethnic minorities can huddle together for safety in numbers or emotional support.
Because of the stringent lockdown regulations which has confined many of us to our own homes this caravan forum has hosted a wider spectrum of discussion, which would normally not take place on a caravan forum.
We tread a fine line because one mans meat is another mans poison, especially when political and social issues are under discussion.
Please don't post flame bait, I've used the quoted post as an example but any such future comments will be immediately removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie and JTQ
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I seriously considered removing the quoted comment.
This thread is about online shopping, not which stores you boycott because you dislike their policies on race relations.
It's for each individual to decide for themselves where they shop and why they shop at a particular store.
If you really must add slightly incendiary comments, the very least you could do would be to stick to accurate facts.
Sainsbury's appeared to upset some shoppers with their support of Black History Month.
The safe spaces that Sainsbury's were promoting are online resources which can be used primarily by BAME Sainsbury employees to share their day to day experiences.
The supermarket don't actually reserve an in store cordoned off area in which ethnic minorities can huddle together for safety in numbers or emotional support.
Because of the stringent lockdown regulations which has confined many of us to our own homes this caravan forum has hosted a wider spectrum of discussion, which would normally not take place on a caravan forum.
We tread a fine line because one mans meat is another mans poison, especially when political and social issues are under discussion.
Please don't post flame bait, I've used the quoted post as an example but any such future comments will be immediately removed.
Thank you Parksy.

Reactions: Parksy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts