Supermule

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
I am not too sure where i read it but i am absolutely sure that i did read in one of the mags a few years ago when the super mule was first invented that some insurance companies where not insuring vans with the mule fitted due to the excessive damage to the vans floor if an attempt was made to steal it. it did seem strange at the time as the insurance firm would have to pay for a lost van if it was stolen, possibly as it was a few years ago the article may have been more to do with if you forgot to wind the mule up and damaged the van yourself. could be worth checking with your insurance particularely as you never see insurance companies asking for this device to be fitted. (the above advice is given in good faith and may not be correct. please check for yourself).

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
would appear to be even more useless then if it simply breaks off when pulled a little too hard. surely the thieves will now know that they just have to break off the nuts and they have your van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't know whether or not you are being deliberately cantankerous Icemaker but I give you the benefit of doubt.

Break-off nuts, more commonly known as shear nuts are security fixings where the hexagonal nut head that the spanner fits on to sheers off once tightened leaving a conical head which cannot be undone. If the scum have time and remoteness on their side, they could take an angle grinder to do the job.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
if i remember rightly the first form of mule was bolted to the floor,and there was, when the caravan was stolen ,damage done to the underfloor. and in some cases considerable damage needing extensive repair.

ps

why wont you use towsure anymore ROD????

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
just being a little lighthearted as i do remember theire being great discussions regarding this product when it was first released and not many of them where too favourable. it is a very good idea in principle, but as klarky has stated the first one was fitted through the floor and did all but destroy the van if an attempt was made to tow with the mule engaged. I have had a look at the new mule and as you say it attaches to the chassis, problem with this is alko and most other chassie makers will void the warranty if you drill the chassie or fit something not approved by them, you may be able to prove differently but i could not find any ref numbers to prove this product was approved by alko. But my biggest concern with fitting this product to the chassie is not too many years ago whilst negotiating a roundabout my van skidded on some spilt diesel and the wheels hit the kerb, this slight bang at around 10 mph bent the chassie so bad that it needed replacing at a cost of over 5 grand as the floor was also damaged since it is bolted to the chassie. i'm not delberately or maliciousley nocking this product Rod it just concerns me that some of the newer caravvanners amongst us may not remember the pitfalls of this product. I would strongly recommend that anyone wishing to fit this device should first check with the van maker and alko and then check your insurance company to see if they approve. (the above advice is given in good faith and may not be correct in relation to you, you should check all facts for yourself).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
if i remember rightly the first form of mule was bolted to the floor,and there was, when the caravan was stolen ,damage done to the underfloor. and in some cases considerable damage needing extensive repair.

ps

Klarky,

I used Towsure for a number of year and couldn't rate them highly enough. prices, delivery and attitude were fine.

Earlier this year I ordered a tow bar and all the electrics including a 13 pin socket. A woman called me to say that they couldn't supply the tow bar for many months, so I asked her if they could supply the rest of the order which she assured me that they could. They quoted 21 days delivery which I thought was excessive but I said OK.

I placed the order for the towbar with Trust Towbars which was cheaper than Towsure and arrived at 10 am the following morning.

The order from Towsure duly arrived with a note that they couldn't supply the 13 pin socket and that they would either supply it when it arrived in stock or give a refund but they didn't say which. They had debited my credit card on the day that I placed my order.

I asked for a refund but this wasn't happening so I sent them many e-mails, none of which were acknowledged. Some weeks later they credited the price of the socket to my Credit card but had a couple of months interest on my money.

I actually ordered the socket from Western Towing, it was almost half the price and the postage was less than Towsure's and it was delivered the next day.

I note that posters on other forums were/are having similar problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just being a little lighthearted as i do remember theire being great discussions regarding this product when it was first released and not many of them where too favourable. it is a very good idea in principle, but as klarky has stated the first one was fitted through the floor and did all but destroy the van if an attempt was made to tow with the mule engaged. I have had a look at the new mule and as you say it attaches to the chassis, problem with this is alko and most other chassie makers will void the warranty if you drill the chassie or fit something not approved by them, you may be able to prove differently but i could not find any ref numbers to prove this product was approved by alko. But my biggest concern with fitting this product to the chassie is not too many years ago whilst negotiating a roundabout my van skidded on some spilt diesel and the wheels hit the kerb, this slight bang at around 10 mph bent the chassie so bad that it needed replacing at a cost of over 5 grand as the floor was also damaged since it is bolted to the chassie. i'm not delberately or maliciousley nocking this product Rod it just concerns me that some of the newer caravvanners amongst us may not remember the pitfalls of this product. I would strongly recommend that anyone wishing to fit this device should first check with the van maker and alko and then check your insurance company to see if they approve. (the above advice is given in good faith and may not be correct in relation to you, you should check all facts for yourself).
Mine is a BPW chassis and I checked with the Caravan Club insurance before purchase that they didn't have any issues with the Supermule.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having had our Spectrum 540 stolen in 2003,I was advised by the insurance accessor who delt with the claim,that the Supermule has 100% retrival on all there attempted stolen caravans.It can cause some damage to the chassis/floor,but at least this can be repared.We lost everthing that day and nearly gave up caravanning,but decided not to let them beat us.Due to our claim, was requested to fit this device by the insurance company,and have done on the last two Spectrums.Was not possible to move it from one to another,but the dealer included it with our latest van.JUST REMEMBER TO JACK IT UP BEFORE YOU TOW OFF.!!!.They have a web site with video showing it in action,try via google.

ps. we had a Alko hitch lock and Milenco wheel clamp fitted,these were removed by the thiefs just by bending.

Also the fitted alarm was just ripped out and discarded.

hope this is of use

Roy.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Klarky,

I used Towsure for a number of year and couldn't rate them highly enough. prices, delivery and attitude were fine.

Earlier this year I ordered a tow bar and all the electrics including a 13 pin socket. A woman called me to say that they couldn't supply the tow bar for many months, so I asked her if they could supply the rest of the order which she assured me that they could. They quoted 21 days delivery which I thought was excessive but I said OK.

I placed the order for the towbar with Trust Towbars which was cheaper than Towsure and arrived at 10 am the following morning.

The order from Towsure duly arrived with a note that they couldn't supply the 13 pin socket and that they would either supply it when it arrived in stock or give a refund but they didn't say which. They had debited my credit card on the day that I placed my order.

I asked for a refund but this wasn't happening so I sent them many e-mails, none of which were acknowledged. Some weeks later they credited the price of the socket to my Credit card but had a couple of months interest on my money.

I actually ordered the socket from Western Towing, it was almost half the price and the postage was less than Towsure's and it was delivered the next day.

I note that posters on other forums were/are having similar problems.
Hi

Would agree with Rod. The last time i ordered stuff from them it came in dribs and brabs, the shortest taking a fortnight and the longest well over a month.I did take them to task over it but they very indiferent. I would not use them again in a hurry.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

ps

if that was the case then i can't blame you from ordering elswhere,i would have done the same

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that Roy, after your comments i decided to get one of these fitted and rang my dealers who have my van at the moment, they adviced that i should check with my insurer first which i did. my insurer is the caravan club and they said that the club does not recommend this device and they will not give any discount if it is fitted, this is due to the excessive damage caused to vans if the owner forgets to wind the device up. when i rang my dealer to cancell my order they said we thought you would as the damage can be quite serious and expensive to repair. seems some are happy some are not.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that Roy, after your comments i decided to get one of these fitted and rang my dealers who have my van at the moment, they adviced that i should check with my insurer first which i did. my insurer is the caravan club and they said that the club does not recommend this device and they will not give any discount if it is fitted, this is due to the excessive damage caused to vans if the owner forgets to wind the device up. when i rang my dealer to cancell my order they said we thought you would as the damage can be quite serious and expensive to repair. seems some are happy some are not.
Seems a bit short sighted by "THE CLUB" If I was paying out i woyuld rather pay for repairs to the chassis than replace the whole van and contents.

Also the ref to "FORGET TO WIND IT UP" load of rubbish just common sence!!!

Roy

I WOULD NOOT KEEP A VAN IN STORRAGE OR ON A DRIVE WIHOUT ONE

May 25, 2005
Visit site
supermule, it sure is super we had our caravan stolen today however the supermule foiled the theft it was abandoned 3 miles from our home, the caravan is probably a write off but we have all our belongings back

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Ann...So glad you got your belongings back and sorry to hear about your caravan. We had ours stolen last year and we lost all our belongings and so I know how upsetting that can be.

You can replace the kettle and the pots and pans but we will never get back the personal things. All the plagues and wedding presents that friends had bought us the year before for our caravan. Hope you get your van replaced soon so you can carry on caravanning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We looked into them when we got our caravan. We were told the chassis makers will not accept them due to the damage they can cause the chassis. Though not as clear cut the caravan maker was in effect saying your on your own if you fit one regards warrantee. I was also unable to get any real clear cut advice from two insurers, one would give a discount for fitting them but implied if the chassis was damaged they may not be interested if it wasn't approved by the chassis makers (which it apparently wasn't). Appeared to be odd but then they are often! We used a tracker instead, no arguments or problems with those.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts