Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Was wondering if Sutton bank has a ban on towing vehicles in both directions ? Surely with a lot of 4x4's they would manage to climb it with the van on the back , thinking about the Range Rover, BMW, merc , Jeeps and Porsche.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Yep Sutton bank bans caravans both ways, even though some outfits could possibly manage the bank, most couldn't, either towing up or breaking coming down.

If you come down the A19 and take the A170 turn off there are detours signposted for caravans avoiding Sutton bank. I think they take you on smaller roads past Ampleforth college. The roads are very twisty and narrow, but all caravans go this way.

The alternateive route is to come off the A19 at Leeming Bar on the A684 towards Northallerton. Then take the A168 into Pickering and the A169 to Malton.

Graeme.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
the easiest way although is about 30 mins longer is to go to york then double back on yourself.i have been down that way a few times and tried different routes but going to york is by far the best and easiest.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stan, use caravan route through Coxwold & Ampleforth which avoids Sutton Bank. This is clearly signposted off the A19. As Graeme says it is tight in places but a very quite road. I have towed this way many times to Golden Square near Helmsley. Alternatively another option would be to turn off the A19 just passed Middlesbrough onto the A174 (signposted Redcar), then follow the signs off the A174 for Stokesley, then follow the B1257 to Helmsley then the A170 to Pickering or continue on the B1257 for Malton. This route is the shortest and is fine while towing

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The "Caravan Advisory Route" is ok but a bit narrow and steep at times but lightly used. It's not the best signposted route around so it pays to research beforehand. When we stayed at CC Rosedale, leaving to go north up the A1, even Highways Agency couldn't give a simple route definition - it is marked on OS maps though.

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Stan, If possible do a reccy first, as I did last year. the reason why I suggest this is you will find the recommended route avoiding Sutton Bank,has some narrow roads in villages and the residents? tend to park their vehicles on both sides of the road, just before sharp bends ( for some reason, or other?)

I even wondered if this was a deliberate ploy to put off lorries/caravans from going through the lovely, quite and peaceful villages, or am I just being over sensitive?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Stan,

We lived in York and flew sailplanes from the gliding club at Sutton Bank. So we have a bit of experience in getting long sailplane trailers and caravans up to the top of the Moors.

On the A19 South of Thirsk, after about 2 miles take the turn to Coxwold - this may be the second posted turn as the first turn that goes through Balk and Kilburn can be blocked with people parking. Then follow the road to Ampleforth and Helmsley.

The A170 (Sutton Bank road) has a sign posted route that takes you through Balk and Kilburn - and if you have any trouble it will be in the villages.

Pickering - recommend the pub lunches and Black Sheep beer in the White Swan Hotel in Pickering. The snug bar was a haunt for the Heartbeat actors, but I guess these have all now long gone.

Robert

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Down the A19 from the North? Turn off on the A174, then off on the A172, pass Stokesley, then head through Great Broughton towards Helmsley. Once you get to Helmsley, you are on a straight run to Pickering. The route across from Great Broughton to Helmsley has some steep parts, but the scenery is fantastic. The caravan route from the A19 avoiding Sutton Bank seems to take forever, and is full of winding narrow roads. Used it once, never again!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Down the A19 from the North? Turn off on the A174, then off on the A172, pass Stokesley, then head through Great Broughton towards Helmsley. Once you get to Helmsley, you are on a straight run to Pickering. The route across from Great Broughton to Helmsley has some steep parts, but the scenery is fantastic. The caravan route from the A19 avoiding Sutton Bank seems to take forever, and is full of winding narrow roads. Used it once, never again!
mary.ross, you must live locally as this is the route I described earlier which everyone I know tends to use. I reckon it takes a good 30 mins off the caravan route avoiding Sutton Bank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts