Swift Charisma 565/ Europa 565 { New 2009 model}

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
We are new to the world of the caravan{ although my husband always went on caravan hols when younger!}

We are looking for a caravan that would be suitable for a family of four { Children- 7 and 4}

We thought about the above caravan. Does anyone have any views on it?

We have a Mazda 2.0 petrol 16v { 2006 model} although I don't think we would manage to tow this caravan with this car, am I right?

What about a Nissan X- Trail diesel towing this caravan?

Sorry for all the quesations . We just want some helpful advice.

Thanks Susan

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Susan

Have you got the model number right?

looking at the Europa range you have a

520 - 4 berth mtplm 1460 kg rear wash room side dinete / bunk

540 - 6 berth mtplm 1500 kg rear bunks + side dinete / bunk

495 - 4 berth mtplm 1480 kg fixed bed

530 - 5 berth mtplm 1485 kg rear dinette

all single axle dont know kerb weight of Mazda so cant comment however the xtrail would be a match for any of above.

hope this helps

John

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The 565s are both new models for this year, with fixed rear bunks, I think, plus a rear dinette - so I would have thought an ideal layout for a family with children.

The MTPLM is 1490 and according to http://www.whattowcar.com/report.php the caravan is way to heavy for your Mazda which weighs 1370kg. A Nissan X Trail 2.5 (the heaviest model) is a 90% match - so suitable, but is not particularly well-starred as a tow car. Have a look at the website and see what you think - you can compare two cars, and I've just tried our Ford Mondeo, which surprisingly is a better match than the X Trail!

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all your helpful advice. In answer to your enquiry John. I think I was looking at the Sterling Europa 565. Which amazingly enough looks like the Charisma 565. I suppose that is because they are owned by Swift!

This caravan world is a nightmare!

Susan

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Susan

The Sterling Europa / Swift Charisma 565's are actually 6 births. They are identical layouts only cosmetically different because as you say they are both from the Swift family.

They have triple bunks at the back so bottom bunk is more or less on the floor and top bunk is kissing the ceiling.

see this link to a picture on the SWIFT website

http://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/caravans/sterling/europa/gallery
The 540 has 2 x fixed bunks and a side dinette that makes in to bunks but you wouldn't need. Both these vans have tiny washrooms - personally we find a bigger washroom better with little ones specially if you grab weekends away and don't always put an awning up - the bigger washroom / shower is great for dumping shoes / hanging coats in so in the Sterling Europa 520 / Charisma 560 would be my choice - They are more spacious in the living area as well because you don't have full height washrooms and wardrobes in the middle - but you have to make your own mind up on that - but really think it through, sit in them, imagine the 4 of you living in it etc..

If you do like the triple bunk layout and don't want to change car look at the Bailey Ranger GT60 540/6 - same layout but over 100kg lighter - or the basic Ranger - lighter still mtplm of 1306kg

http://www.bailey-caravans.co.uk/rangergt60/layout.php
Good luck

Mat

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Dear All,

We have a 2-page first look on the Swift Charisma 565 in the June issue - if you need to know what we think more quickly than that, email stacie.pardoe@haymarket.com and I'm sure she'll let you know what she thinks of it!

Regards

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan

www.twitter.com/pcaravan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts