Swift Elegance & others……Onboard water tank…

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
Am I missing something? Our Elegance has an onboard water tank but it needs to be filled via an Aquaroll or similar. The only reason I can think of an onboard tank is if you’re off grid, but the tank’s only 40 ltrs.
Or do you fill it anyway then use the outboard source so you can have a longer shower? (Pointless seeing as the hot water tank’s only about 8/10ltrs)
Please enlighten me.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
You’re missing nothing. We have an onboard cold tank. Only gets used in winter touring to avoid freeze up. Using it gives a marginally better pressure .

Reactions: jimmyg352
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
I'm looking to install onboard 40-60l tank and fill it via Aquaroll pump. My reasoning is currently operate from a 20l water container as its lot easier to transport. Use same type containers for grey water for same reason. Topup via Aquaroll submerge pump means not having to add a hose inlet fitting higher up. Prefer not to create more holes in watertight shell.

60L tank should give +3days of water so topups aren't daily route. Swapping grey water containers is easy.

I've no problems fitting 6x20L in my boot but no hope of fitting 40L Aquaroll plus 40L waste water tank. Lifting full 40L container is recipe for stuffed back.

Other plus of internal tank is nobody can tamper with your water supply or steal the pump. Something I've heard about but not experienced and would like to keep it that way.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Possibly Swift believe that if you can afford the Elite you can afford a serviced pitch which would solve your problem.
I would not travel with the tank full as 40 l weighs 40 kg and would be a big hole in your load allowance.
Having it partly full could affect stability if it is sloshing about when you move. 30 l could cause a lot of weight shift.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have the onboard tank and would not be without it. On our caravan if the onboard runs out it automatically switches to the aquaroll.

We have the ALDE heating and boost the hot water and could easily have two showers one after the other. Wet yourself, switch off shower, lather up, switch shower back on to wash off soap and plenty of hot water was left.

However we now have the ALDE continuous how water system so we will never run out of hot water.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Possibly Swift believe that if you can afford the Elite you can afford a serviced pitch which would solve your problem.
I would not travel with the tank full as 40 l weighs 40 kg and would be a big hole in your load allowance.
Having it partly full could affect stability if it is sloshing about when you move. 30 l could cause a lot of weight shift.
10L shouldn't cause issue and enough water for lunch stop or overnite without showers.
When I was researching tanks <50L didn't have baffles as option. 30L moving back and fore in 400mm x400mm tank isn't going to upset a caravan stability. Biggest concern is load on tank's mounting points.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking to install onboard 40-60l tank and fill it via Aquaroll pump. My reasoning is currently operate from a 20l water container as its lot easier to transport. Use same type containers for grey water for same reason. Topup via Aquaroll submerge pump means not having to add a hose inlet fitting higher up. Prefer not to create more holes in watertight shell.

60L tank should give +3days of water so topups aren't daily route. Swapping grey water containers is easy.

I've no problems fitting 6x20L in my boot but no hope of fitting 40L Aquaroll plus 40L waste water tank. Lifting full 40L container is recipe for stuffed back.

Other plus of internal tank is nobody can tamper with your water supply or steal the pump. Something I've heard about but not experienced and would like to keep it that way.
We carry our Aqua rolls ( 2 off) and the waste master in the caravan, and never lift a full one, we get through 40 litres a day , two showers and washing up.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
10L shouldn't cause issue and enough water for lunch stop or overnite without showers.
When I was researching tanks <50L didn't have baffles as option. 30L moving back and fore in 400mm x400mm tank isn't going to upset a caravan stability. Biggest concern is load on tank's mounting points.
We carry a 5L bottle with us for flushing the loo.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The partially full tank will cause some load shift if its sloshes but becasue the tanks have fairly small overall dimensions it really shouldn't cause Spirit of Free Enterprise instability. Its scaremongering to suggest so.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The partially full tank will cause some load shift if its sloshes but becasue the tanks have fairly small overall dimensions it really shouldn't cause Spirit of Free Enterprise instability. Its scaremongering to suggest so.
My 40 l tank is at the front O/S . Even partially full it will influence the nose load and as Ray said erode payload allowance. Thus it is always empty when we travel.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Unless a water tank is properly baffled then travelling with 40 litres of water sloshing around is far from a good idea.
It is not a case of causing instability when towing the caravan, but rather a concern with the fixings. It will put a lot of strain on the fixings holding the tank in place with water sloshing around which is why we never travel with any water in the onboard tank.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
It is not a case of causing instability when towing the caravan, but rather a concern with the fixings. It will put a lot of strain on the fixings holding the tank in place with water sloshing around which is why we never travel with any water in the onboard tank.
Exactly right. I wasn’t talking about instability of the tow but rather then finding your water tank sitting in the middle of your van on arrival

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Exactly right. I wasn’t talking about instability of the tow but rather then finding your water tank sitting in the middle of your van on arrival
Apologies regarding the instability, but that was not directed at you but other earlier posts. I agree about the fixings etc. (y):D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If a 40 litre tank is pretty well full the sloshing effect is negligible. Even half full the free surface effect would have minimal effect on stability of towing, but its weight could have an effect if the overall handling if loading is marginal or the tow car/caravan ratio is high, or driving conditions affect the stability. But impact on fixings could be an issue.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If a 40 litre tank is pretty well full the sloshing effect is negligible. Even half full the free surface effect would have minimal effect on stability of towing, but its weight could have an effect if the overall handling if loading is marginal or the tow car/caravan ratio is high, or driving conditions affect the stability. But impact on fixings could be an issue.
If you have to brake heavily it may be an issue?

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
The best approch to these small 40L tanks in UK vans is to just fill them on site and travel with them empty. UK vans don't tend to have payload to handle extra weight. also check what manual says about travelling with water in tank

The large Australian and USA caravans have 100-200L tanks underneath bolted to chassis and are design to travel with these tanks full.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts