Swift Rapide 12v Electrical Problem

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

The 12v electrical system in my 1991 Rapide has stopped working. The first problem I have noticed is that the light no longer comes on in the charger switch when it is turned on which makes me think that either the charger is dead or the supply to it is not working (the fuse in it is okay though). However, I've since charged the battery up externally and on refitting still have no 12v supply. I've checked all the obvious fuses (one fuse box in the overhead cupboard next to the clothes cupboard and one fuse box in the front of the van under the seats). I've noticed in the wiring diagram in the caravans handbook that there is a 16amp fuse in the +ve cable after leaving the battery (which if blown would explain the 12v system not working. I cannot however find it. Does anybody know where I am likely to find it? Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fairly close to the battery. Follow the positive lead and you should locate it possibly just to the rear of the battery box.

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
That's where I expected to see it. I've followed the +ve cable all the way to where it enters the base of the cupboard but there is no fuse attached.

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
If you have or could borrow a multimeter, set the scale to DC Volts and measure the voltage on the battery terminals, then go to the other end of the same cables and see if you have the same voltage there. If not, you have probably a blown fuse on the positive (usually red) cable.

If you can't get a multimeter use a 12 volt bulb as your tester.

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hiya Paul. We once owned a Swift Corniche of that year and it had the same problem. The fuse was behind the battery, in the battery locker.The fuse holder was corroded on ours causing the problem.

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Evening all, you don't happen to have an electronic copy of the wiring diagram I could have/get hold of? I have just posted a thread on a similar issue, for a swift corvette of the same year... I can't locate any technical info.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts