Swift sprite Alpine 4 versus a Bailey Ranger 460/4

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys you've been very helpful before so I'm back for more advice. I still have my little Piper Cosalt that I have done up and been away in and love but my husband has decided we need something bigger to the extent of nearly selling our piper out from under me to some fellow campers last night !
We've been to a few dealers and my husband has decided he likes the fixed bed with the side washroom as then I can still tow it too with my smaller car.
Today we saw a Swift sprite Alpine and a Bailey Ranger 460 and we were offered a good part exchange but we opted to come away and do some more research first.
I've read on some forums that some Baileys seem to be suffering with Damp although I'm sure every van has its pros and cons.
We're hoping to go and tour France I'm November so I am regretfully getting on board the bigger caravan train as I can see the be nights of a shower on board and a proper oven however I don't want to make an expensive mistake.
Any advice would be gratefully received and passed on. Also what is in a starter pack? I'm not sure either van came with any extras or motor mover etc!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can't offer any advice regards the pro's and cons of Swift vs Bailey. Both manufacturers have had a history of damp occurring in all previous models, so in that regards theres is no paper difference between them.

We have often heard of caravanners who have agreed to PX thier old van and been offered an attractive deal. In some cases dealers are asking for a £2000 non returnable deposit, when you agree to purchase from them. When it comes to the exchange the dealer takes the old caravan and then announces there are problems with it and so their exchange offer is not as attractive as it first seemed, but because you have already paid the deposit you are virtually blackmailed into the deal. ( this was a highlighted problem on a BBC watchdog type program this week) There is some thought that the size of the non refundable deposit is an unfair contract term, but that would have to be tested in court

To protect yourself from these types of shocks, do not believe the dealers offer for your old caravan until they have actually looked at it properly.

With regards the caravans you are interested in, always ask any questions you may have before you agree to purchase - in it helps write them down and use it as a crib sheet.

Especially if the prospective caravan is second hand, arrange to have an independent expert to inspect the caravan for any issues such as damp again before you agree to purchase.

Only when you are absolutely happy with all the answers and inspections and the actual price they offer for your old caravan, agree to purchase.

If they ask for a non refundable deposit, offer them as little as possible . In reality the dealer will incur some , costs if the deal falls through and I believe a figure of £200 to £250 would be more than enough to offset any loss the dealer may make if you decided to cancel. Use a credit card far the deposit as then the card provider is jointly responsible for the completion of the contract.

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Wow thanks for all that info. To be fair we were offered 1000 pounds for our 1981 Piper which has no gas and is very basic so didn't think that was too bad :)! We did say exactly what she was my hubby didn't hole back :eek: !

Do all manufacturers suffer from damp then or just the 2 we've picked?! I had read about the Bailey which was why I decided to post but must have missed the swift one!
I know the Ranger is the basic cheaper model from what I've been reading is there any problems due to this?
We are having a look at some more today as we've decided to definately go to France for 3 weeks in November so we just have to find our perfect companion van !
Thanks again :)

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
many caravans that were fitted with ABS plastic front & rear panels ( as distinct from GRP or glass fibre ) suffered what is known as stress cracks which was the main cause of the damp problems .
examine closely the areas where the awning rails & the roof bar meet the plastic . ANY sign of even the tiniest hairline crack or repair emanating from under the rails or cross roof bar is a sign to say NO as these panels are extremely difficult to repair & the normal warranty system of Bailey was to replace the offending panel which would cost around £1000 pounds to have done privately
this applies to all vans with plastic ABS front & rear panels of 2003 to 2009 vintage

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
host25 said:
Wow thanks for all that info. To be fair we were offered 1000 pounds for our 1981 Piper which has no gas and is very basic so didn't think that was too bad :)! We did say exactly what she was my hubby didn't hole back :eek: !

With the best will in the world, it simply is not possible for a dealer to quote a part exchange value blind. I'd bet there's a rider in the quote "subject to inspection" and even though you feel you have been as honest as the day is long, I'll bet the dealer will find something that he uses to try and reduce the PX value.

host25 said:
..Do all manufacturers suffer from damp then or just the 2 we've picked?! I had read about the Bailey which was why I decided to post but must have missed the swift one!. I know the Ranger is the basic cheaper model from what I've been reading is there any problems due to this? .
Unfortunately I know of no current UK caravan manufacturer who has never suffered as damp issue in any of their product ranges. Whilst I refer to the UK I'd guess the same is probably true for all makes including the European ones.

The fundamental problem is quality control or more accurately the lack of it during manufacture. It is entirely possible for two consecutive vans of the production line, for one to be dry throughout its life, and the other to suffer from water ingress within weeks of purchase. The fact that one can be dry, proves the design is capable, so what is left is the way they are put together which comes down to poor manufacturing techniques. Also to be fair it may have something to do with the way they are used and maintained.

There must be some differences in the percentages of dry vs damp caravans, but as manufacturers do not publish such figures its not possible to identify conclusively which brand or models may be better. So I'm sorry but its very much pot luck. and this is one of the reasons why I suggest you have an independent expert check the caravan over before you agree to purchase.

host25 said:
.. We are having a look at some more today as we've decided to definately go to France for 3 weeks in November so we just have to find our perfect companion van !
Thanks again :)

A caravan is major purchase and it can become a very personal possession, so if you are looking at second-hand caravans, don't rush the purchase. Make sure you check it thoroughly before you agree to buy. As others have said, there are some fairly specific issues with some designs, and if the van you are looking at has one of the issues, then it can become a very expensive repair, so again I urge you to use an independent inspection, which might cost a few pounds now but it can save a small fortune later.

Be picky, because you can be absolutely certain the dealer will be when he looks at your PX caravan, If there any concern or issue with the van you are thinking of purchasing that are not fully disclosed and you still have concerns about - Don't purchase it - another will come along that fits the bill.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree with the Prof on what to do before exchange. We have seen posts on sites where people turn up and the dealer goes over the caravan and finds damp and immediately reduce the trade in price. Given the age of your caravan I doubt it will be a problem as I cannot see many dealers even putting it on the forecourt so what you have is largely a discount on the new model.
I would still check it for damp or have it checked though and any deposit should be a more nominal £300 or so and pay it on a credit card as this gives you extra protection if there are problems but this is good advice for most large purchases.
As for which you choose it is really a matter of personal taste. Both manufacturers turn out the odd lemon and I doubt there is a lot between them on quality. The Sprite did however get a better customer satisfaction rating in the last PC owners survey which might swing it.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Pretty much every make and model has a damp issue at some time. How old are the vans you are looking at and have they had any previous or current damp issues. As far as a choice of which one I think just stick to which one you prefer. Look at service history as well as that will show an owners level of care. Both vans probably have very similar equipment so how it has been cared for, condition of upholstery etc are more important than which badge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts