Switch in caravan

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Hello I know this is a really stupid question but inside the caravan if I am hooked up to electric at a site should I switch the switch to van or 0 or car ?! I’m so confused about running off my leisure battery instead of the hook up ... which I don’t want to do ... I am confused about everything so far ! Thanks :)

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The Van-Off-Car switch defines where the 12V comes from. If you are not hooked up to your car whilst on site selecting Car will result in no 12V.

The charger or power supply will keep you caravan battery topped up and supply all of your 12V needs when running on mains.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I have not encountered this Van-Off-Car Switch thingy.

No criticism at all to Woodentop, but I am struggling with his response, I am sure it makes sense to ordinary folk but I remain confused :blink:

Woodentop, could you please enlighten the dimwitted (ME) and elaborate further. :blush:

Thanks Woodentop.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Anseo said:
I have not encountered this Van-Off-Car Switch thingy.

No criticism at all to Woodentop, but I am struggling with his response, I am sure it makes sense to ordinary folk but I remain confused :blink:

Woodentop, could you please enlighten the dimwitted (ME) and elaborate further. :blush:

Thanks Woodentop.

I am the same, Woodentop has so much help it rolls off the top. , great chap, but which caravan do you have In my slightly modern van I dont have these switches, but in my older ones I did. " Help me " to help you, and welcome to the forum.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Car/Off/Van switch does the following.
In Car position it takes some 12v to power at least a light or two and the toilet flush pump to enable you to use the toilet on a stop, if you want to.
Off is the normal position when towing
Van is the normal position when hooked up to mains with charger on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts