Swivel armchairs in caravans.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
A couple of months ago, either in one of the club mags or on a forum, a thread was started on the old subject of caravan manufacturers turning out a model with two decent swivel armchairs fitted in front of a caravan in place of the eternal (and oft unwanted) twin bunks/seats as is standard at present. I was overjoyed to see the thread and looked forward with pleasant anticipation to see the eventual conclusion. Unfortunately it withered and died - nothing.
I can't really understand the reluctance of manufacturers to have a go at this - speaking to other wrinklies I believe the demand for a successful model would be overwhelming. After all, they've been bold enough to go in for fixed beds and all the other modern cons - why not chairs? The idea isn't new to them, as,to my knowledge, when ABI went bust at Beverley in 79/80ish, all their stock was moved to Catfoss aerodrome near Beverley, and some people (including me) were invited to visit and bid. Among the stock was a model - not sure of the badge - which was fitted with two swivel chairs!

Does anyone know why the reluctance, or have any thoughts on the possible reason? Is it worth trying to keep the subject going to try to evoke some response?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Possibly it might not be cost effective for a manufacture to design, tool up and type certify a design for a relatively small customer base. With bench seats in the front the van is more multi-purpose.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am not convinced there is a big market for it. Swivel seats would mean only two at the front in most caravans and most of us have guests or family from time to time so the caravan would be no use to those who did. You will also find the water heater under the front seats and in most cases the battery and fuse box. Relocating this lot could be expensive and probably puts most manufacturers off.
Not sure about a weight issue as they are probably a lot heavies than the conventional lounge which might affect the balance and nose weight.
You would also lose the front bed which many of us do not use but I am not sure without it the sales would stand up.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Resurrecting an old and disappointingly short thread here.

We are fed up with the uncomfortable bench seats in the front of our Lunar Clubman SB and have decided that we need a greater level of comfort to cosset our ancient frames.
We are therefore are seriously considering taking them, together with the unused bed frames out to make space for a couple of swivelling armchairs. I do appreciate that there is an amazing amount of clutter under the off-side seat that would have to be rearranged.

Has anyone else undertaken such a task?

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Dodger524 said:

We are fed up with the uncomfortable bench seats in the front of our Lunar Clubman SB and have decided that we need a greater level of comfort to cosset our ancient frames.
We are therefore are seriously considering taking them, together with the unused bed frames out to make space for a couple of swivelling armchairs. I do appreciate that there is an amazing amount of clutter under the off-side seat that would have to be rearranged.

Not something I have considered (YET) :dry:

But an interesting adaptation nonetheless, I don't think one has to be getting on on in years for such an idea to be desirous, why should it not be, it's your space, do with what you will.

I like the concept, hope you go for it and try it out, would love to hear if you do.

Thanks.
Anseo

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Nice idea. How will the weights compare, and will you need to screw them down somehow, to swap them sliding about when towing?
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Anseo said:
Dodger524 said:

Not something I have considered (YET) :dry:

But an interesting adaptation nonetheless, I don't think one has to be getting on on in years for such an idea to be desirous, why should it not be, it's your space, do with what you will.

I like the concept, hope you go for it and try it out, would love to hear if you do.

Thanks.
Anseo

Go the whole way and make them recliners too.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Mel said:
Nice idea. How will the weights compare, and will you need to screw them down somehow, to swap them sliding about when towing?
Mel

I have yet to calculate weights, but I suspect that, subject to finding light chairs, that there will not be much difference. Maybe I'm being optimistic on that point but the caravan is not nose heavy, I have to make an effort to get the nose weight above 75kg and that's with 2 Aguarolls and a Wastemaster right at the front and with a full gas bottle. As for sliding around that doesn't happen with the water containers but I probably will arrange some sort of tether for peace of mind.

I think the first task is to identify chairs that are comfortable and able to fit through the caravan door or window opening.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
otherclive said:
Go the whole way and make them recliners too.

Recliners certainly but if we want to revert to the horizontal then we will still have a couple of beds only a short stagger away. ;)

There is a danger that if they conversion proved too comfortable we wouldn't want to get up to go to bed.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
To be able to make the most of swivel chairs they would need plenty of free space around them. Maybe with the introduction of 8ft wide caravans they might become a more interesting proposition. As Mel said, though, they would have to be anchored to the floor to prevent them from sailing through the caravan while towing, either permanently or temporarily with some sort of quick release mechanism to allow them to be pushed aside to clean the floor.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
If it's any help, I had a sailing cruiser, that also had an inside steering position, fitted with a swivel armchair that was very comfortable, was bolted to the cabin sole and never moved even when using it in a heavy sea on cross channel trips.
Here's a link to a similar boat:
http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/pioneer-pilot-26/pioneer-pilot-26.htm
The boat's beam was 9 feet (external) so you can see from the illustrations that it took up relatively little room. (you will need to scroll down a little to see the actual seat.) It was probably not much wider than a "portly" gentleman's hips, I reckon a standard caravan would be able to accommodate two of these with ease! (the chairs I mean, not the portly gentlemen!!!

Cleaning underneath it was easy, and at annual layup I used to remove the chair ( undo one thumbwheel screw) and take it home to deep clean the upholstery, I could carry it along the jetty under one arm so, not at all heavy.

Generally I used to con the boat from the outside steering position using the conventional tiller and controls located there in the cockpit, however if on a longer passage the weather became inclement then I would fire up the banger, furl the Genny, drop in two slabs in the Mainsail, sheet hard in, and retire below and pretend I was in a motor boat!

I never spent very long sitting in the swivel chair below, I suppose the longest was around 7 or 8 hours or so at a stretch and the seat remanied comfortable and secure throughout.

Maybe there is a germ of an idea here that could be adapted to a caravan?

A wander around a good chandler will show the sort of thing currently available (and prices) together with the tubular fixing support leg and base, and thumbwheel screw etc.,

Hope this helps and as always
Happy Caravanning
paws

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Swivel seats, or Captain's Chairs as motorhomers like to call them, can be bought from online auction sites.
Perhaps some metal reinforcement under the caravan floor would anchor the seats in a similar way to motorhome seats?

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Thanks for that link Paws, what a lovely boat and I imagine great fun to use.
It has reminded me on my holiday canal narrowboat days long ago. We hired one once with free standing chairs, although not reclining ones. These had to be narrow enough to pass through the door, so I think a narrowboat chandler may be worth a visit; just as long as I don't end up buying a narrowboat to go with the chairs. :dry:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts