Take this as a Warning.- Driving In UK or Europe.

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
Travelling with the van behind you this article from the BBC may be even more important.

So expect to get cut up or see the odd friendly "wave".

Britain's drivers 'most uptight'

"A total of 87% of British drivers get annoyed with other drivers

British motorists are the most uptight in Europe, the Belgians the most laid-back, and the French top the league for road rage, figures suggest.

The survey involving 13,000 licence holders in 23 countries comes as the RAC Foundation warns Britons driving abroad this summer to take care.

Death rates on Greek roads were five times higher than in Britain, it said.

And UK drivers in Spain and Portugal were three times more likely to be in a fatal accident.

WHAT ANNOYS US

Double parking

Leaving main headlights on when passing/following

Entering a congested junction

Overtaking a queue of vehicles to cut in front

Cutting across lanes of traffic to exit at last moment

Changing lanes without indicating

Source: Gallup Europe

The survey of motorists' attitudes was released by the RAC and conducted for Europe-wide body Responsible Young Drivers.

It found:

British motorists were the most uptight in Europe, with 87% sometimes very annoyed by other drivers

Belgian drivers were the most laid-back, with 55% annoyed by other people's driving

A total of 60% of French motorists admitted they had behaved aggressively to other road users

German road-ragers were most likely to flash their headlights and tailgate, while UK motorists stuck to hand signals. Greek motorists were the most likely to offer a few words of advice

Italian drivers were most annoyed by motorists using their mobile phones and Greek motorists were most irritated by last-minute lane changers

DRIVING ABROAD

Lower motorway speed limits apply to inexperienced and young drivers in France, Portugal and Luxembourg

Italy, Spain, Portugal, Austria and Croatia require motorists to wear a hi-visibility jacket if their car breaks down

Most European countries insist drivers carry driving licence and insurance documents

In Hungary and Slovakia the alcohol limit is zero

It is illegal to run out of petrol on the motorway in Germany

In Greece, you may not carry a petrol can in the car

According to the RAC Foundation, three million British motorists head to the continent in their cars every year, while many more hire a car on arrival. In Europe as a whole, 57.3% of holiday trips are made by car.

RAC Foundation executive director Edmund King urged UK drivers to find out about local rules and regulations.

"High holiday spirits and poor local knowledge can turn a drive to the beach into a trip to A&E," Mr King said.

"British motorists driving abroad need to expect the unexpected at all times if they want to bring home holiday photos rather than X-rays."

UK deaths

Separately, the AA is warning motorists heading for popular UK tourist destinations to take care in "deadly" lay-bys.

Nearly two-thirds of fatal accidents involving stopped vehicles on a dual carriageway happen in a lay-by, a study from the AA Motoring Trust found.

More than half the vehicles hit are lorries and in the past year at least six people have died in lay-by crashes in the UK, the trust said.

It added that drivers should stay out of lay-bys that are not separated from the main road by a kerbed island.

The trust's study, co-funded by the Highways Agency, surveyed lay-bys along the A303 and the A34, two busy holiday routes leading to south and south-west England."

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't see it as a warning, more like a series of observations. There are probably quite a lot of further additions that could be made to the list.

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
A post here today comments on someone speeding over a newly surfaced road despite a 20MPH limit Lutz, other comments re cars cutting caravanners up I've also seen.

I took the BBC news article as a little light hearted really, I ride abike to work and rided defensively, something I tend to do with the van behind the car.

I expect to be cut up or have vehicles pull out or get the odd hand gesture from some morrons.That way you can stay cool and calm, anything that helps keep a caravanner calm and safe is OK in my book Lutz.

Basics = expect the unexpected !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts