Taking a year out to tour.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi all, we are about to start planning a 'year out' and want to use that time touring the UK and or perhaps northern Europe in our caravan.

Is there anybody out there who has already done this and got any tips for us? How did you manage, did you come home early - why, would you do it again. where wouldn't you go, what you would do differently if you did it again?

Thanks for your help.

Sue Mc

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Mark something I've not done, but I travel a lot and of course we are caravanners. I have friends who have spent a lot of time touring Europe and other countries.

1st I would put a support and payment system in place for the home you are leaving for a year(I guess). Make sure the home is fit and healthy and boiler serviced etc and bills like concil tax all on monthly payments from your bank.

Plan weather wise where you want to go and where sites are open as many or most close for the winter.

A friend has just spent second winter in New Zealand, he learnt last year to have the house and all bills planned and sorted. Before he left last Autum he set up internet banking and laptop connection to use whilst travelling. He wwas able to transfer money when he needed as well as checking bills and keeping in touch.

I would be looking at UK and northern Europe for the summer and France, Spain,Italy or Portugal for the winter.

Good planning and routing fitted in with weather patterns would I guess make for a care free time away. And I think you would have to make special insurance and break down cover provision as your normal cover is normally only valid for a limited time out of main land Britain.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Mark

Check with your house insurance, a friend of mine who works away for long periods found out that his house insurance was not valid when he was not in residence.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
........ also take care where you pitch for the night. Always have security in mind, not just for your van but also items like sat.nav and other personal belongings left in your car.

G

Taking a year is great but remember that at least half of it will be in the winter season. Therefore dark nights and poorer weather conditions will prevail. You could always follow the motorhome 'roadies' who go the Morroco for the winter and park along the beach. An alternative is to take the ferry from Spain to the Canary Islands. I have no real knowledge of doing this with a caravan but many do do it with motorhomes and I would suggest looking at some of their magazines for hints on 'full timing'.

The comments on insurance for the home have already been made and are valid, unless you take the 'risk' with son, but is that really a good idea??

May 25, 2005
Visit site
My daughter ws considering taking a year out but, as already said on a thread above, she had problems with your mortgate & insurance companies. She found out that she could take 6 months out without any penalties. Check for any problems you may encounter.

If all goes well, have a great time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts