Taking Guinea pigs on holiday!

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone take guinea pigs away with them? We have 4 (long story!) and can't afford boarding costs. Having just taken on a seasonal pitch I would like to take them with us. It would need to be fox proof and secure. Just wondering if anyone does this and has any ideas of set ups please? I was thinking about indoor cage in awning over night and if raining and outside run for hot days / run time.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
We take away our girls two guinea pigs all the time with us (apart from short weekend breaks). So far this year they have been to Bowness, Scarborough, Bedgellert, Coed Helen and Southport. We will also be taking them away with us to Whitemead for August bank holiday week.
We bought a small cage from Pets at Home and keep them in this in the awning, which they stay in during the night. We also have a wire cage which we can put together and put this outside during the day for them to run around in and eat the grass. The wire cage is collapsable for ease of storage and again we got this from Pets at Home. We use this at home all the time in the garden so thought it would be ideal for 'Muffin' and 'Pebbles' to join us on holiday.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-pet-play-pen-for-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs-by-pets-at-home-24353
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/cavie-80-guinea-pig-cage-by-ferplast-15980

The two links take you to the Pets at Home products to give you an idea of what we have and there may be cheaper alternatives at your local pet shop. You may well need a bigger cage if you have four though.
The girls love taking ours away and have made lots of new friends who all want to have a stroke of the GP's.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Claire. Back in the very early 2000's I took my two Cavies (Guinea Pigs) with us to Hoddum Castle caravan park. They went in small travel cages and were then put into a large fold-able Toblerone Shaped hutch/run that was 1.5mtrs long and .8mtr wide and .8mtr high at the apex. It was spiked to the ground at the four corners and on each side in the central position.
They were brought into the caravan at night and on the occasions that we left site to go out & about. They were outside at every opportunity.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi to you all out there. The link below was borrowed from the post by BigS. We have bought one of these but it is a rather large one at 1170mmL x 570mmW x 420mmH.It came from a company called The Range based in Wigan,Lancashire.
We take our "Have Cat Will Travel" Charlie with us. It fit very nicely across the rear load-space of the Volvo V70. It has a wide to opening and comfortably accomodates a litter tray and a travel supply of water and food.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/cavie-80-guinea-pig-cage-by-ferplast-15980

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
We don't have a guinea pig (sadly) anymore, but we do take our house-bunny away in the van with us. If space permits, he travels in his smaller 'van' cage (as opposed to his large dog crate that is home normally) in the car but if space doesn't, then a useful cat carrier comes in handy with the main cage travelling in the van ready for his arrival. He travels very well and is more than happy to stay in his cage in the van which just stands on the kitchen bench at night if the other bed is in use. Having the split door on the van with the bottom half fastened, he is more than happy hopping around the floor, but his favourite place is actually sitting on the chest at the front of the van looking out of the window and yes, we have had some strange looks, especially when he moves and passers by realise it's not a stuffed toy!

No different to taking a dog away, just a different pet, but still part of the family!

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Karina. Now that is something that I have only seen the once,when I was up at Hoddum Castle with the Guinea Pigs.
Taking Rabbits,Guinea Pigs and other small animals including as we do; our cat Charlie is so far different to taking Dogs it might really catch on.
Dogs via their often Lazy & Ignorant owners leave very undesirable smelly parcels around.

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Karina
We take our house rabbit Max with us caravanning and he is a well travelled pet across most of England. He is a small Netherland dwarf who is getting on for six years old now. We find that he travels best in a cat/pet carrier on the back seat of the car with the seat belt around it - this is better than his large fabric dog carrier which he uses at night in the van as he doesn't slide around in this. We carry a wood/wire mesh run for him which is about 1.5 meters long by 1 metere wide by about 0.5 metre high but collapses down to a manageable size which we lay on the floor of the van when we are in transit.
Next weekend we are off to France with him for 3 weeks - this is a first for us. Did a bit of research first and found out that there are no restrictions on rabbits travelling abroad to the EU unlike dogs, cat and ferrets. He has his regular injections for Myxi and VHD plus treatment for prevention of flystrike - our vet has even signed and stamped a photo of him stating that he is in good health and that all his innoculations are up to date - just in case anyone at the borders questions it.
He has the run of the caravan when he is not out in his run and his favourite spot is laying flat out on on of the front seats on his own blanket. He has shading for the run, his own sun umberella, toilet tray and toys. In fact it is just like taking a child away !!
He is no bother at all and enjoys being with us on our travels and it is better than leaving him with strangers. I would think that taking guinee pigs away would be very similar - only difference is that guinee pigs can be a bit sqeaky whereas rabbits are silent.
Alan

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Mikaroony said:
where would you put the gp's when you dont have a awning up?

Wow you really do like this forum .......you are now taking an interests in posts that are over 2 years old
smiley-wink.gif

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Mikaroony said:
where would you put the gp's when you dont have a awning up?
Our GP's go in a cage in the back of the car overnight if we don't have an awning up (S Max so have a big boot area) but 99% of the time we have at least a porch awning up so they go in there.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Lizzie Pope said:
The Practical Caravan team loves this thread, so we're pleased to see it back. Who else has a caravanning pet? What do you take and where?!

We always take our 4 Yorkshire terriers with us. We used to take the cat, but sadly she passed away in 2012. We now have 2 new Norwegian forest cats so it remains to be seen whether they will be able to come on holiday with us.

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Lizzie Pope said:
Thanks for that – six pets might make for a packed caravan?!

We have 5 border collies + a border collie cross in our caravan at night. We used to have 4 border collies in 2 berth Swift Charisma 230 every night......
Jim

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
We have been taking guinea pigs on caravan breaks now for about 7 years doing about 40 nights a year. They have become so famous they have over 1000 fans on their own Facebook page and I write a column in the Guinea pig magazine. This is now national in pets at home and will be available in the USA. I also offer advice on guinea pig care in caravans on the guinea pig forum.

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
We have been taking guinea pigs on caravan breaks now for about 7 years doing about 40 nights a year. They have become so famous they have over 1000 fans on their own Facebook page and I write a column in the Guinea pig magazine. This is now national in pets at home and will be available in the USA. I also offer advice on guinea pig care in caravans on the guinea pig forum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts