Taking Max the Collie to Croatia and Slovenia

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi

We're planning on taking Max, our elderly border collie, on our 5 week caravan hols to Croatia and Slovenia this July/August.

Has anyone else taken a dog to these countries? I'd welcome ALL comments/information/experience.

Max has a valid pet passport and I after discussions with our vet and internet research I am planning on giving him the following. The vet was not really very helpful - just told us to look on the DEFRA website.

(1) Frontline every 4 weeks as treatment to prevent ticks and fleas

(2) Milbemax wormer to prevent worm infestation, including heartworm - every 4 weeks

(3) Scalibor or other deltamethrin collar to eradicate sandflies (and other tick infestations) which can cause canine Leishminiasis

Any comments on these treatments again welcome.

Max is a seasoned Continental Caravanner and has previously visited France, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Austria and Germany - he loves caravanning.

Tim

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Tim,

Our vet was very helpful. Milbermax is good for trips south. Scalibor collars are old hat and often the source of irritation. Use Advantix, a spot on treatment available from the vet. This will also do everything that Frontline does, in addition to the protection offered by Scalibor. Advantix was also available from the French vet we used on our way home.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
We will be going to Bosnia in July going through Slovenia and Croatia before entering Bosnia

We thought about taking the dog but left it too late to get a passport.

However when doing some research regarding the passport I understood that it was for travel within the European Union

correct me if I am wrong, as you will be aware I am sure Slovenia is part of the union but not Croatia.

This might be a problem regarding the passport 'Just a thought'

Other than that I would just mention that in Croatia and Bosnia there are lots of stray dogs in both countries which the locals don't appreciate therefore keep an eye on your dog at all times.

Oct 7, 2007
Visit site
I know this question doesn't relate to your question, but would you mind telling me if you encountered any problems taking your dog to either Italy or Austria? Do you need to muzzle your dog in these countries at all?

Thanks.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Don't know about Italy but I took my Border to Austria 2 years ago. I never saw any dog with a muzzle, certainly mine didn't have one. Having said that I have heard that dogs need to be muzzled on public transport but as I didn't use it I don't know how true this is.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies folks.

John - thanks for the advice regarding Croatia's status - I had not realised this myself initially. However, Croatia is one of the non-EU countries on the DEFRA list that IS included in the Pet Passport. Incidentally if you are thinking of having the Pet P the blood test and vaccination are quite expensive, especially the blood test - our's was

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts