tall man and short beds

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
Hi All,

the wife would love a caravan. I'm slowly coming round to it. However, when we looked around at a few used models I couldn't fit in their beds. I'm 6ft 4ins.

The real trouble seems to be that the end of the beds are up against something so I couldn't hang my feet out. I can't sleep well if I'm doubled up. Any recommendations on this, please?

Another thing. I don't want to spend too much in case we don't really take to caravanning. So, if we have to sell in future I'd like to find that I'd bought something that wouldn't be too hard to dispose of.

There is only the two of us and I'd buy a car suitable to tow the caravan of choice. I need to change my car anyway so that's no hardship.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Anthony,

My husband has the same trouble as you... he's 6'5". We looked around long and hard for a caravan which had enough headroom, and also with suitable bed length, eventually we found that Bessacarr suited our needs perfectly, and are now on our second.

It really depends on what layout you are going for. If you are considering the fixed bed, then maybe you will come upon restrictions. However, we choose the front wrap around seating in our van, which provides us with plenty of space,if you like double sleeping, or, two good size singles.

Personally, I would'nt spend a fortune on a first caravan. You never know whether you are going to really like it. If you don't you could stand to loose quite a bit of money.

My advice is go for it, I don't think you will have any regrets.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Anthony. If it is a large double bed that you are looking for several manufacturers do 7ft 6in wide vans (4ins wider than average) which gives a larger double bed at the front. If it is single beds look for a van with the door near the front as that way the n/s seat will not have anything against the bottom of it so will make a larger single. I remember years ago we used to have a van which had a pull out extension on one of the single seats to make it into a full sized single bed.

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
Hi again,

Thanks for your advice. I nipped out today and looked around at a local dealer and found, as you suggest, that the wraparound front beds would give me space, as a double, to hang my feet over the end. So all I need is a 3/4 berth to allow another bed for my wife and we should be set.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi Anthony,

We have just bought an Adria van and its fantastic! My husband is 6ft4, and the front seating turns into a double of 6ft11 x 6ft3. On top of that he doesnt suffer from neck ache when standing up as the internal height is 6ft5! Fantastic!!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
If you are not sure you will take to caravan life it might be cheaper to hire one for a short period. I know the hire money will be 'lost' but it might prove the cheapest option.

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sally and Ann,

This is a good forum, isn't it! Everyone comes up with good info.

I'll certainly hunt down an Adria caravan to look at and will investigate hiring one locally to start with. If I do buy a one I think I'd better make myself like caravanning. The wife would be devastated if we started and then stopped.

In the meantime I'll switch to the towcar forum. I've a few questions to put to the cognoscenti

Thanks a lot,

Tony

Aug 23, 2005
Visit site
Sally , Wendy

Great advise - I'm also new to caravanning and being 6ft 5in I have found it difficult to find a caravn with suitable headroom. I also wanted to hire first to see if I like it, but if it is with a van with low head room, then I don't think it would be particularly representative?

In terms of my research so far, Hymer definitely have great head room, 2nd problem though they are too heavy for my car! (Looks like the Bessacarr are also a heavy van)

It also looks like, TEC and Dethleff are good.

The 3rd problem is; being new to caravanning I'd like to spenmd between 8 & 9,000 - the German vans in UK spec are mainly available as new so will need to spend

Sep 4, 2005
Visit site
I AM 6FT 8INS TALL AND A GOOD 21 STONE, MY PARTNER CHRIS AND I ARE PROUD OWNERS OF AN ECCLES AMETHYST, I HAVE THE DOUBLE AND SHE HAS THE OTHER, AND HAVE NO PROBS, I SLEEP SLIGHTLY DIAG AND I CAN ALMOST STAND UPRIGHT INSIDE......... GOOD HUNTING MIKE.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm only short at 6 feet 3 ins and know the problem. Generally I have found that front dinettes that make up across the van are ample for me (You get about 6ft 7ins across). Fixed beds are a problem. We're having the Indiana, (sorry Anthony these are new only) and I fit in the outside part, (no bottom board). The biggest problem I have found is getting in the shower and only found the solution to be an end bathroom with separate shower or a 7feet 6ins wide van. When you look round, take your shoes off and try the beds, shower spaces. Quite right to start second hand.

Good cararavanning!

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi, We have just bought an Adria from Gateway Caravans in Batley, West Yorkshire. The sales staff are excellent and will do anything they can to help you. They have a good range of stock to tempt you, we only started caravanning in June this year, bought an Ace Pioneer and sold that to buy the Adria, once you see them you will want one. My partner is tall too and he loves how you can walk from one end to the other without dipping his head. Let me know if you want their number and Ill pass it on...im sure they will give you advice if thats all you want

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts