TATA Safari

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Lutz,

100% with you on this one; PC'sister website What Car rated the Land Rover Freelander (97-00)as the fifth most unreliable car in the UK. Subjective it may be but the data on LR products is pretty consistent. LR Also comes bottom of the pile by make and this is data supplied by Warranty Holdings the UK's largest supplier of warranty products to the motor trade and private motorist.

More importantly when I was working in fleet management I used to get a report by the largest lease Co in the country. As often they pay out regardless of the situation to keep the end client happy they have a vested interest in keeping outlay to a minimum I remember three things.

Most expensive car on to repair average OUTSIDE OF WARRANTY - Land Rover, Longest time in Hours (or rather days) off the road in the case of Land Rover. Three - most claims in the average 3 years - yes you guessed it !!

The other point is (Clive) I wouldn't dismiss India as a future maker of fine cars in a few years it and China will be the Detroit of the world. Currently Fords most highly rated car in the US is manufactured in ..Thailand and the majority of it's components are made in the Philippines!! Already India is fast becoming the Pharmaceutical production capital of the world and I believe BMW are looking at setting production up there.

My mum and dads next door neighbour son owns car dealerships in South Australia including LR and when he was visiting last year I asked him what he thought of LR - they have a saying in Australia "over rated and over here!!" (sounds better with an accent) He sells them to what he calls "subs" or people who live in the suburbs and rated the Land-cruiser as the pinnacle off-roaders. Just for note his sales/customers include the largest coal mines in OZ!!

On a completely different subject but related if that makes sense - how come you never see any LR Freelanders (diesel) for sale yet loads of K series powered ones ???????????

Regards

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like I have said before those that knock will knock - However it still stands that LR have the greatest following of any make of car - winning the Top Gear accolade a year or so ago.

Also - I KNOW that fleetbuyers actually voted the Freelander as one of the best a while ago - I know because I read the report in Car magazine I think and submitted a post on here months ago. I will try a search later as I do not have the original reference source to hand but I know I quoted it.

I respect you opinion Monkeys hubby but ever since your regular General Belgrano remarks I think you let us all know what side of the fence you stand!

However, when you see on the telly a Police Traffic Cop saying with obvious pride that a his Range Rover will pull an artic of the motorway and that his Range Rover will "Go Anywhere" a more balanced view is seen.

Yes I am a LR fan - if you did what I do with mine on a regular basis you would be too!

Sad that you never miss a oportunity to knock.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh I meant to mention the Pharmaceutical comment - main reason is complete lack of Health & Safety legislation and therefore cost.

One of my clients is a Construction Engineer working for a French company in India - his comments on the standards of work and worker safety were VERY illuminating when we met between Christmas & NY.

Remember Bhopal???

Of course industry will move to cheaper areas.

It's hardly the point tho is it?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz,

100% with you on this one; PC'sister website What Car rated the Land Rover Freelander (97-00)as the fifth most unreliable car in the UK. Subjective it may be but the data on LR products is pretty consistent. LR Also comes bottom of the pile by make and this is data supplied by Warranty Holdings the UK's largest supplier of warranty products to the motor trade and private motorist.

More importantly when I was working in fleet management I used to get a report by the largest lease Co in the country. As often they pay out regardless of the situation to keep the end client happy they have a vested interest in keeping outlay to a minimum I remember three things.

Most expensive car on to repair average OUTSIDE OF WARRANTY - Land Rover, Longest time in Hours (or rather days) off the road in the case of Land Rover. Three - most claims in the average 3 years - yes you guessed it !!

The other point is (Clive) I wouldn't dismiss India as a future maker of fine cars in a few years it and China will be the Detroit of the world. Currently Fords most highly rated car in the US is manufactured in ..Thailand and the majority of it's components are made in the Philippines!! Already India is fast becoming the Pharmaceutical production capital of the world and I believe BMW are looking at setting production up there.

My mum and dads next door neighbour son owns car dealerships in South Australia including LR and when he was visiting last year I asked him what he thought of LR - they have a saying in Australia "over rated and over here!!" (sounds better with an accent) He sells them to what he calls "subs" or people who live in the suburbs and rated the Land-cruiser as the pinnacle off-roaders. Just for note his sales/customers include the largest coal mines in OZ!!

On a completely different subject but related if that makes sense - how come you never see any LR Freelanders (diesel) for sale yet loads of K series powered ones ???????????

Regards
Try using the word "diesel" on the autotrader advanced search facility!

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Lutz

The problem with those surveys is that they take no account of % of sales. If 100 LR owners reply and only 5 TATA owners, they say that 5 times more people are not happy with their cars. this does not take into account that 100 times more LR have been sold in that period.

I no longer listen to them, as the last time I did, I got a new IS200 Lexus. Worst pile of proverbial I have ever owned. in 3 yrs it spent 9, yes 9 months in the garage having warranty work. From new wheels to electrics and the WHOLE braking system.

I have to admit I am biased. I am an admitted buy British freak. But I did do the research and the disco came out as one of the cheapest large 4x4 to keep on the road. Proved by the fact I replaced all 4 disc's and pads for

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Try using the word "diesel" on the autotrader advanced search facility!
God, Clive you should know me by now that was the first thing I done !!! Have a look yourself either people hang on to them which I suspect ot the 1.8 is .....

Kindest Regards

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Like I have said before those that knock will knock - However it still stands that LR have the greatest following of any make of car - winning the Top Gear accolade a year or so ago.

Also - I KNOW that fleetbuyers actually voted the Freelander as one of the best a while ago - I know because I read the report in Car magazine I think and submitted a post on here months ago. I will try a search later as I do not have the original reference source to hand but I know I quoted it.

I respect you opinion Monkeys hubby but ever since your regular General Belgrano remarks I think you let us all know what side of the fence you stand!

However, when you see on the telly a Police Traffic Cop saying with obvious pride that a his Range Rover will pull an artic of the motorway and that his Range Rover will "Go Anywhere" a more balanced view is seen.

Yes I am a LR fan - if you did what I do with mine on a regular basis you would be too!

Sad that you never miss a oportunity to knock.
Why should I knock the afflicted.. Seriously its sad that a company with such prestigious name is so badly thought of by the motor trade, sad for the UK that we couldn't compete with the Japanese who have had to teach us how to build cars, shame that people put up with mediocrity !! As a patriot I would happily by a LR 3 but the lease costs are uncompetitive compared with an XC90, X5 etc

With the state that Ford (America) is in it won't be long before LR is up for sale. Several Companies are doing "due diligence on Jaguar" it won't be long before the same is true of LR

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Clive,

I guess if that's your take on it then fine ..I think it's a bit out dated on two points firstly it happened over twenty years ago and recent events have shown industrial accidents can happen in Blighty and the land of the free just as easily.

More to the point you miss the real fact that India is awash with well educated people (walk around a hospital in the UK and you'll see that the NHS can't survive without taking well educated staff at all grades from the Indian sub-continent and the from the Far east.

Only yesterday Gartner, said "IT spending will reach $25 billion in 2006, up from $20.3 billion in 2005, and business spending on computer hardware, software, and communications products will grow at a rate of 20.8% over the next four years. Along with China, India is poised to make a huge impact in the worldwide IT realm in coming years. Gartner reports that "the rapid maturing of information development in China and India will see trade between the two explode and result in firms gaining competencies that can be applied across emerging markets globally."

That potential isn't being ignored on U.S. soil. India's prospects look so enticing to Microsoft that the company plans to invest $1.7 billion in India over the next four years, with half of the investment being pumped into the expansion of Microsoft's research and development centres.

These people will have wealth and spending power beyond there dreams it such a shame that the UK's car industry won't see a penny of it!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't get me wrong Monkey's hubby - I have a very high regard for the technical ability of India - where else would more than 50% of Microsoft's "Techies" be based in the sub-continent.

That is not the issue the issue is one of cheap labour and almost a complete lack of Health and safety legislation. And that info is bang up to date as of me meeting with an overseeing Construction engineer between Christmas and New Year 2005. Whilst Bhopal was 20 years ago, the report on why it happened cited serious flaws in many areas and compared the working practices of the time. In the opinion of most these flaws are still there.

I want India to grow - a significant part of my pension fund is invested there!!

What I found a little odd was your previous negative comments about products from Korea after the Kia was voted Towcar of the year by the CC - then you seem to hanker after a TATA as well as consistently knock Land Rover products.

Having been driven in a TATA, driven a Kia (not the Sorrento - but having seen one close up and spoken to the owner it deserves the CC accolade in my opinion) and been a long term Land Rover fan, the TATA is truly awful in comparison to both.

When it comes to the world economy, China is developing as the next industrial producer and India as the most significant intellectual and "ideas" base.

Of course we will have our cars produced there in the future - its cheaper. Its cheaper because over here we have an infrastructure that now restricts business

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Clive,

Correction: I was talking of Sangyong Rodius and the Daewoo Korando?? Not any Kia product, I also driven in a Sorrento - which I felt the ride was Juddery compared with LR's discovery which in turn was slow compared with an XC 90 diesel (working in Logistics fleet management has it's benefits).

As for the accolade fine on any press vehicle but I suggest you peruse the Daily Telegraph's Honest John Forum - it would seem that once they get to 3 years old on quite a few models jugging by responses - the dreaded tin worm sets in.

As for the word "hanker" - read the post (AGAIN CAREFULLY!!) the question was to ask peoples opinions good or bad on that make - not once did I say that I was ever thinking of buying one !! (you'll get me a reputation for poor investment - if not taste?) -

Kindest Regards and by the way Happy New year!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts