Teacher Pay

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Stephen.

you could always retrain as a teacher yourself, spend all that money on a degree and do something positive rather than standing on your soap box. My wife is a deputy head and i lecture at a university. I fully support the whole action taken by the NUT & UCU. If more people took a similar stand my be the government would begin to listen to it our common problems. We brits are too happy to sit back and have a quiet moan rather than exercising our collective voice.
The work place has change so much in the last few years At 60 year old I have A C I R as a under writer. Dip in managment studys. Have tried to retrain but its the age.

May 2, 2005
Visit site
The fact being missed here is that far to many do leave the teaching jobs for better paid less stress jobs elsewhere and better hours. That's why there is a shortage of teachers!

If others are jealous of teachers pay and conditions you can leave your job and become a teacher, some of you will even get a kind of direct entry if your present day job is considered to make you suitable for teaching. Just remember that many who take that route soon leave when they experience the reality of many teaching jobs.
The reason SOME teachers leave the job is for the above reasons......but I suspect that a lot leave because they didn't research the job properly....your comment on "Reality" proves this......

To say that they leave because of the pay and stress are the lesser reasons, IMHO

To any teacher who thinks they are undervalued.....leave and get another job.....but for the VAST majority, I imagine that they see it as a vocation.......PLEASE stay.....you're country needs you......

G

Many of the issues with teachers go back to the 1970's, and I knwo because I was there. At that time over 90% of university graduates could not get jobs so the alternative for many was teaching. Not because they wished to be teachers, but because it was a job. I graduated as a geologist and was offered a teaching post in any science and would have been paid extra because I was a geologist, but this was not a curriculum subject. I turned it down and joined industry because I felt I was not cut out to be teacher. However, very many of my peer group did, especially those with MA degrees in what we now call the Social Sciences. Basically do 1 lecture per week and take part in a political demo, and you were a graduate. I know, I watched them.

These people were disappointed in themselves because they adopted not their first choice of career, and used the system to make chaos for many years by striking and downgrading everything they touched. We now do have young people wishing to become teachers because they do care, but are still being thwarted by these dinosaurs from a previous life who are in senior positions. As they themselves were failures they cannot accept anyone else being sucessful. Many joined politics and can be seen in the ranks of the Labour Party, again always sneering at anyone trying to improve themselves. Of course, they get to retire at the age of 50 and have a full taxpayer paid pension, but will never be happy.

I do accept that the school environment today does not always lead to an educational harmony, but again feel much of this lies at the door of these so called teachers from the past who have always destroyed, rather than creating. The kids just follow their example. I know from personal experience when my own kids were doing their O and A levels in the 1980's the teachers went on strike, just before the Prelim exams. On going to a school meeting the opinion of the teachers was that they did not give a toss for the damage they were doing to the kids, they just wanted more money and shorter hours. I, like others had to mortgage myself to the hilt, to pay for a private education in order to give my kids a fair start in lfe. So I have very little sympathy to teachers over the age of 40.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts