Technical Advice wanted

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a new Bailey Pegasus 514 in September 2010.

It has been regularly service every year since new.

Suddenly the 12 volt system inside the van has stopped working. There is no power to the control board, yet there is ample power in the Battery as this still operates the 'mover'. I have checked ALL the fuses under the seats but feel there must be a master fuse elsewhere as I can see no reason why the system is not working. (No pulled or broken wires)

When connected to the mains, the control board operates..eg: Voltage meter, individual switches etc. and lights, pump, fridge etc. all operate.

Can you advise on what the problem might be.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With power disconnected from the van check the battery voltage at the terminals with a multimeter, it should , if charged read 12.8 volts or thereabouts.
Then connect power to the van, make sure the charger is switched on and measure the battery voltage, again at the terminals with your multimeter, it should read around 13.8v
If it does not, the charger has failed, not uncommon on Bailey vans.
As a further check there should be a master battery fuse very near the battery box, usually tucked away under the box.

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the fast response. Not sure if I made it clear but the battery IS charging and fully charged..hence it runs the 'mover' on battery.

When the mains are connected the board shows 13+ volts but immediately disconnected goes dead (?) and no further power in caravan supplied by the charged battery.

Regards

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
:cheer:
Just to confirm. After much searching and delving under the drawer unit and heater there was a cable with an 'in-line' 20 amp fusewhich had melted plastic and obviously blown.

Replaced fuse and now all in order.

Why oh why do manufacturers put such important fuses in obscure and difficult places with no hand book instructions in how to find it??

Incidentally emailed Bailey with the same query about a week ago and STILL AWAITING A REPLY...great service eh?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Don't forget to look for the cause of the fuse melting/blowing - they're there for a reason!

Replacing a fuse without locating/fixing the fault is false economy, or worse.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " Incidentally emailed Bailey with the same query about a week ago and STILL AWAITING A REPLY...great service eh"

Bailey have been on their summer shut down, which is why you have not had a reply.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote " Incidentally emailed Bailey with the same query about a week ago and STILL AWAITING A REPLY...great service eh"

Bailey have been on their summer shut down, which is why you have not had a reply.

Another prime example of the caravan industry still being a 20th century cottage industry.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
Damian-Moderator said:

Another prime example of the caravan industry still being a 20th century cottage industry.
Indeed - the very idea of closing the customer service dept during the main summer holidays - when the product is holiday accomodation is ludicrous.

Of course the factory needs to shut down, to give employees a holiday and to prepare for the next model year - but I bet they had maintenance in during the shutdown, so why not customer services ?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi , we've just returned from France with our less than 1 year old Baileys, on our second day our electrics dropped to below 9v and I put it down to a surge on the site in morning , but by tea time it was the same. I went to look for another Baileys and they were getting 14v with mini fridges and slow cookers connected , we couldn't even flush toilet ! Checked all fuses , fine , found the hidden 2oA you mention in a daft place but fine to . Had to get an electrician out to test and found it to be the charger had burnt out on the circuit board in two places , costing €2oo to get me going again .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts