Televisions

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
If I'm on a caravan site with mains hook up can I still use a normal TV? How does it work eg: watts etc..I know it sounds daft but if I have to buy a low watt toaster and kettle what about the TV??

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alex

Televisions are relatively low consumers of electricity and you generally don't need to worry about them if on mains.

For example, my flat screen 15 inch portable consumes 42 watts. Divide by 230 volts and it equates to about a fifth of an amp. Even on sites in Europe you usually get at least 6 amps, so you can see that you are nowhere near the supply limit.

By comparison a household kettle consumes 2000 watts or more - ie over 8 amps.

You just need to check how many amps supply you have on site. Then consider how many pieces of equipment will be on at the same time and how much they individually use. This should be stamped on them in watts, and you can divide this by 230 to find the amps.

Hope this helps

Keith

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alex

Televisions are relatively low users of electricity when on mains. For example my 15 inch flat screen portable uses 42 watts. Divide this by the mains voltage, 230, and you can see you are only using about one fifth of an amp. Even in Europe you usually get at least 6 amps on site, so you are way below your limit. You just need to consider which other peices of equipment will be on at the same time. Look for the number odf watts, printed under it or on the back, and calculate the amps by the same method.

A domestic kettle uses 2000 or more watts - about 8 or more amps, and no comparison with a tv.

Hope this helps

Keith

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
You don't say where you are from or going to Alex but we have switched over to digital in the North West Granada area so you will need a digital aerial to receive a picture.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
You don't say where you are from or going to Alex but we have switched over to digital in the North West Granada area so you will need a digital aerial to receive a picture.
FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE - there is NO SUCH THING as a DIGITAL aerial. They are all the same, albeit you will need one of the wideband variety to make sure you can receive channels wherever you go.

At the moment Border, Granada, Wales, and the south west, along with some of the northern Scottish islands have been digitalified. If your TV does not have Freeview built in then you will need a set top box to go with it.

If you want certainty of TV reception pretty well wherever you are consider getting satellite. It is not expensive and once you've done it a couple of times it's a doddle to set up. For the whole of the UK get a 60cm dish minimum.

Per the other comment, I have been on sites in Europe which are limited to 3A!!!

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE - there is NO SUCH THING as a DIGITAL aerial. They are all the same, albeit you will need one of the wideband variety to make sure you can receive channels wherever you go.

At the moment Border, Granada, Wales, and the south west, along with some of the northern Scottish islands have been digitalified. If your TV does not have Freeview built in then you will need a set top box to go with it.

If you want certainty of TV reception pretty well wherever you are consider getting satellite. It is not expensive and once you've done it a couple of times it's a doddle to set up. For the whole of the UK get a 60cm dish minimum.

Per the other comment, I have been on sites in Europe which are limited to 3A!!!
What is the 'FOR HEAVENS SAKE' comment for Woody!!!??

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
What is the 'FOR HEAVENS SAKE' comment for Woody!!!??
Thanks everyone...the caravan has an aerial on the roof (i think, it looks like a frisbee) do i still need another aerial? If so what should I go for and where from?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts