Temperature Gauge on Maverick

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst we were away the previous weekend, we noticed that the temperature gauge on the Maverick was going up and eventually went right to the top. Pulled over and it went down. I was somewhat worried about this, as it doesn't happen when solo. So this weekend, we pushed the van out of the garden, hitched up and towed for 30 miles up and down hills to try it again. And it went up again. Is this normal, or is there likely to be a problem. Granted it didn't go right up to the top but very nearly. The water levels are all fine. As we are going to Scotland in a couple of weeks, I want thinks to be right

Other than that, the Maverick pulled fine, the fuel consumption was ok, and I even towed with it too!

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
I would get this checked before your run to scotland, is the car auto of manual? if it was me I would change the termostat, and flush the cooling system. But yes you do have a problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quick update.

Took car back yesterday, dealer couldn't be more helpful, had a good look at radaitor, flushed it out (10 tonne of s**t came out onto the floor. Says this will cure problem, but to test it towing before going to Scotland and any problems to take it straight back. Will take van out for a spin tomorrow. Thanks for all your help guys, I know I get a little stressed when you've paid money and it's not right. I don't know why us british don't want to go back and complain.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Jamet

Glad to see you had a good result of sorts, we had a similar thing happen towing back from Norfolk to Kent with our VW Sharan , the needle went through the roof and it's the only time it did.

But when we used the car the next day it was fine. Explanation is two fold; because cars are so reliable and have bags of power these days they aren't stretched and so the temperature sender unit remains constant, stick a tonne and a half on the back of the car and it has to work for a leaving the thing is some units can temporary seize in position and then with a bang come to life and frighten the life out of us.

Also it doesn't help to have old coolant in a car that's used for towing (any car for that matter) as it really is going to have to work!!

Regards Monkeys Husband

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts