Tent/awning pegs

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
It is my experience that awnings and tents come with totally inadequate pegs. I have long had a set of pegs that I have transferred from tent to tent and now live in my caravan for use with whichever awning I decide to take with us. The current hotchpotch contains numerous different styles of pegs as the ones with plastic ends to 8” nails invariably break after a while. Even the heavier duty angle iron pegs are pretty pointless these days unless they are really heavy duty and the less said about plastic pegs the better; I have only ever found a handful of places where they have been of any use and then the ground was so soft that they pulled out pretty easily. It may be to do with keeping the weight of the sold package down as rock pegs are considerably heavier than the ones supplied, but surely the tent and awning manufacturers are aware that they are supplying useless pegs.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree. Most seem to come with cheap plastic pegs or very thin metal ones which will only work in soft grass. With hard standings becoming the norm on many sites rock pegs are all that will work and even then we have lost a few.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I too have several bags of pegs in the garage, from plastic to thin wire that came with various tents and trailer tents,,none of which were of any use at all.

I have built up my supply of heavy duty rock pegs that I keep as I changed from one mode of living to the next.
I have spares of those in the garage too as they sometimes get bent or broken.

It does make you wonder what the manufacturer of the tent or awning or whatever they came with; was thinking,,it may be, as mentioned a weight issue,,but plastic !!

I also have, to go with the rock pegs, a lump hammer,,as I've yet to find a rubber mallet that can cope with putting in a rock peg into hard standing.

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the pegs that come with tents/awinging are thin and rust very easly. When I was working many moons ago I made my own out of 6mm stainless steel wire. Only now and then will one bend when I hit a brick/pebble, usualy put them in with a 2lb hammer.

Trevor

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I agree with all the last posters and have a supply of maybe 100 thin usless pegs. Is theree anywhere We can buy the little plastic bits to fit onto the bigger "Rock pegs," I know there are two different diameters of these pegs, And havent Googled it yet.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
8 inch galvanised nails, bath tap washer under head ( may have to drill out the hole in the washer) Cheap as chips and works as well as most of the 'proper' type.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I hardly ever use those red plastic pegs in the UK for the reasons given, but have always been able to use them in France, so they do remain in my peg box. What we need chaps is a caravan version of the building trade nail gun to fire the darn things into hard standing... :unsure:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
RayS said:
8 inch galvanised nails, bath tap washer under head ( may have to drill out the hole in the washer) Cheap as chips and works as well as most of the 'proper' type.

Brilliant idea.

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
I hardly ever use those red plastic pegs in the UK for the reasons given, but have always been able to use them in France, so they do remain in my peg box. What we need chaps is a caravan version of the building trade nail gun to fire the darn things into hard standing... :unsure:

Hurry up and patent that idea !................then get yourself on Dragons Den. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts