Tested - Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

BryonySymes

Administrator
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Over the last few months, we've had the pleasure of touring around with a brand new Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D sat nav, for the sole purpose of letting you all know if it's worth the (fairly hefty) investment.

The review is in, and we loved it! See the detailed review here.

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
I hope this is better than the 760 which presumably it replaces. The routing on the 760 is poor to say the least always chooses narrow roads just to save 100m and also has an annoying habit of turning you onto a road and then a few hundred meters later announcing 'this road may not be suitable for your vehicle'.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I've never had the latter problem with mine, but it DOES have the same fixation about using miles of stressful narrow roads to save a couple of minutes. Some of them are only suitable for my van (which it knows the dimensions of) as long as I don't meet a white van coming the other way!
At the other extreme, it will sometimes take us a much longer route just to be able to include a few miles of motorway!
However, I've recently discovered how to direct it to go a certain route, without programming in lots of waypoints or avoidances. So on any long journey now, I take a few minutes to compare the planned route with a map, and if I see long stretches of "white" roads I'll tap a couple of points along the route I want to use. Useful feature.
BtW, welcome to the Forums!

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
TonyJones said:
However, I've recently discovered how to direct it to go a certain route, without programming in lots of waypoints or avoidances. So on any long journey now, I take a few minutes to compare the planned route with a map, and if I see long stretches of "white" roads I'll tap a couple of points along the route I want to use. Useful feature.

Thanks for this suggestion I will give it a try. I have also found that by increasing my MH's width in the settings it is a bit better on choosing more appropriate width roads.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that would help too.
To specify the route the way I do, tap anywhere while in navigation mode, and a couple of icons pop up to the left. Tap the lower one, a squiggly line with a dot on it, and you get a 2D map of the proposed route. You can enlarge this if necessary, then tap somewhere on your preferred route.

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Have never had that problem with my 760 !

Directions have been reliable, I do set the dimensions to 1/2 meter wider than my actual van dimensions but no difficult moments !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts