testing

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Well once again thanks so much one and all for your comments, extremely useful.

I take it that the general consensus is actually that we could after all consider that particular caravan if we wish and that is excellent news. At the very least, it is great that we have some options now and don't have to rush out and change our car!

Yes Prof in answer to you, it will be the first time we have towed so we really do want to get it right as you say and I am interested in any advice I can get as it is very useful, even if amongst that there is some slight variation.

I'll be honest, I was hoping to list out the essentials and some average weights (people, luggage, gear etc) and work out roughly what would go where in the car and caravan. I know it would only be on paper and I realise we would have to try it out properly; through trial and error will we learn, but I thought it would reassure me that the outfit would meet our ideal of hitching up and setting off without too much fuss and without my son squeezed amongst a whole load of gear with the back seats down!!

I have checked the car plate and its front axle max is 1010kg and rear 1020kg. I don't know on specifically what they base their kerbweight figure and the local Toyota service department is about as useful as a chocolate teapot!! The only other definite figures I know are that I weigh 63Kg and my husband weighs.... ohnfkoghfdgdfo?[f[;pd[p;/;';...... sorry about that he just prevented me from disclosing the figure there!!!!

Can I clarify that the mtplm is the maximum payload plus the unladen weight of the caravan? I am slightly confused about the description of the mtplm as including the noseweight, as I thought that the noseweight was the force in weight on the tow ball dependent on how the load is loaded inside the caravan. I think I may have a fundamental misunderstanding of the two figures. Its just that the figures of the mtplm, payload etc I quoted at the outset are the ones displayed in the caravan on the forecourt at the dealership and the payload is the difference between the unladen weight and the mtplm. I was planning on adding up on paper the rough average weights of the various gear we would want to put in the van to ensure it does not exceed that payload, but if I have misunderstood, does it mean that the payload must be reduced by whatever the nose weight is?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Because kerbweight is specific to each and every vehicle, it is not surprising that your local Toyota service department is unable to help, They will not have access to such details. The only definitive source of information is the V5c certificate where it is referred to as Mass in Service.
Yes, you are correct that the MTPLM of the caravan is the unladen weight plus the maximum allowable payload. MTPLM is the maximum total weight of the caravan and, at the same time, it is also the sum of its axle load and noseweight. Its axle load must not exceed the maximum permissible towload specified by the car manufacturer for the towcar. MTPLM is an absolute limit which must never be exceeded whereas unladen weight is variable and you may have difficulty in finding an accurate figure for your particular caravan. It would therefore be very worthwhile putting it on a weighbridge first to check what payload you actually have available.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again,
you asked
"I'll be honest, I was hoping to list out the essentials and some average weights (people, luggage, gear etc) and work out roughly what would go where in the car and caravan. I know it would only be on paper and I realise we would have to try it out properly; through trial and error will we learn, but I thought it would reassure me that the outfit would meet our ideal of hitching up and setting off without too much fuss and without my son squeezed amongst a whole load of gear with the back seats down!!"
There are some items that have definate places to be stored, such as gas bottles, and the battery. These must be secured in the spaces provide. Everything else is an blank canvas, though there are some general points to consider. You must keep as many of the heaviest items as low down and near the main axle as possible. This helps to maintain outfit stability. Other lighter items can be stored to manage the nose weight.
If you search in some caravan magazines, or on the web you may find generic guides to the weight of various typical items, but the ultimate critera is the the final weight of the caravan when its got everything you think it needs (different to wants). Dont forget that you must also consider things like the site guides and maps you take.
As a sugegstion only take the essential food items you need for the first 24 hours, then purchase the food for the holiday at your destination.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts