The Italian Blog

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks David. Interesting and informative. We're off to France for 3 weeks on 22 August. What were your impressions of the price of food, campsites, diesel, etc over there?

Does anyone else have any comments about the above?

Feb 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi David

enjoyed your photos and holiday experiences. We were the English couple from the North East at Bella Italia with the white Seat Leon. We were on the end pitch on your right. The same side as the Dutch couple with the motorhome. After leaving Bella Italia we spent a couple of days in Switzerland (Sempach) and then moved to Nancy (I wanted to see Place Stanislas). We are now looking forward to September when we are going to Lake Geneva/Lake Annecy area.

Rhonda and Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for a most enjoyable read. Could I ask what camera you used?
Hi John

I use an Olympus C5060 which is a high end veiw finder camera. Had it now about 5 years and its gives me some pretty good results.

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks David. Interesting and informative. We're off to France for 3 weeks on 22 August. What were your impressions of the price of food, campsites, diesel, etc over there?

Does anyone else have any comments about the above?
Ron

Withour doubt the cost of things generally is a bit higher but massively so. If anything diesel is a bit cheaper this year. I think the thing we noticed was that eating out, particularly at campsite restaurants seemed expensive compared to home. We tend to use the ACSI Card and Camping Cheques for campsite stays and they are both good value.

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi David

enjoyed your photos and holiday experiences. We were the English couple from the North East at Bella Italia with the white Seat Leon. We were on the end pitch on your right. The same side as the Dutch couple with the motorhome. After leaving Bella Italia we spent a couple of days in Switzerland (Sempach) and then moved to Nancy (I wanted to see Place Stanislas). We are now looking forward to September when we are going to Lake Geneva/Lake Annecy area.

Rhonda and Ray
Hi Rhonda

Good to hear from you. Glad you got back safely. We are off to France in September, thinking of the south coming back via the Dordogne.

David

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Ron

Withour doubt the cost of things generally is a bit higher but massively so. If anything diesel is a bit cheaper this year. I think the thing we noticed was that eating out, particularly at campsite restaurants seemed expensive compared to home. We tend to use the ACSI Card and Camping Cheques for campsite stays and they are both good value.

David
I'm hoping that you missed out the word 'not' in the first sentence!

Thanks for that info. We are trying the CCs this year, using those sites and municipals.

Ron.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Brilliant blog.

Mods why don't you set up a topic just for sites where people can post photo's and give datails. Then we could just search by sites name and get better info.

Call it sites info that's easy to understand!!!

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi David

I really enjoyed reading of your travels and especially your photos. We have been to some of these places in Italy and they brought back some lovely memories.

regards

Chris

Mar 6, 2007
Visit site
Well written blog and nice pics ... As for Black horse farm .... We used it the start of May and they seemed a bit muddled, at least the male warden did, cos he sent us to a pitch that was already occupied despite looking on his chart. Another van went off and did its own thing. Same problem i think.

Maybe they were trying to instill a stricter regime. "You go where we say even if there is a space you would prefer"

Just a thought ... could be wrong. Suppose they do get "funny uns" turn up.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks David, excellent blog and an interesting and valuable contribution to the forum.

Smiley wrote:

'Mods why don't you set up a topic just for sites where people can post photo's and give details. Then we could just search by sites name and get better info.'

Hi Smiley, I only wish that we could do this.

Unfortunately we don't have access to the forum software and in spite of requests for various forum sections Haymarket tekkies won't re programme the forum software to incorporate suggestions such as yours and others.

This website does have the Caravan Sitefinder which can be accessed by clicking on the orange logo to the top left of this webpage where members can post simple site reviews but David's blog with it's stunning photography deserves a forum of it's own.

I'll certainly save the url in my own forum folder so that it doesn't become 'lost' and difficult to access in future.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi David

Thanks for sight of the blog. Very interesting reading, and great photos. I have been to many of the places - in fact we must have nearly crossed paths this year.

I note you carry 2 bikes on the towbar when towing. I know the Sorento takes 115kg and the caravan probably has a max of 100kg on the hitch, so you have 15kg in hand. Assuming the bikes weigh 40kg, do you restrict the caravan noseweight to 75 to compensate? I just wondered because I would like to carry bikes the same way on my Sorento but also like to maximise the caravan stability by loading the nose to 100kg.

Also - do you have any trouble manouvering with the bikes loaded?

Regards

Keith

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Keith

We use lightweight cycles and a noseweight of about 80kgs so I am just about OK but it is tight! If I have a tight reverse onto a pitch we usually have to take them off first otherwise they do catch the front of the van. If the site road is narrow we usually use the mover.

David

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Thanks David.

I have tried different methods of carrying bikes over the years - on the roof, inside the car - even dismantled them! - but found it a hassle and for the last two years have left them at home!

Might try your method now.

Keith

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts