The life and times of a battery again!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
This has been brought up many times before and perhaps it should be a sticky. I am keen to try some non-electric CLs but my wife is not too keen unless she can watch Sky in the evenings. (She is not s soap addict she just likes watching telly especially wildlife programs)

We have a flat screen low consumption LCD type TV and a Sky box which we would like to use on CLs without electric but are unsure how long at 110 amp battery will last.

The wattage for the Sky box is around the 35w and the TV is rated at 65 watt or there abouts. They will be used between about 6pm and 11pm most nights. The only other thing using the battery will be lights unless someone can think or anything else with the exception of the pump. Any ideas as I am keen to try this non electric lark before passing comments as to whether I like or dislike it?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How about investing in a small generator? Some of the little Hondas are really quiet so should not be a nuisance to other vanners. Or perhaps you can hire one for the time your on site.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Ian,

From what you describe, just running the TV and the box will use about 100 watts on a 12 volt supply - which is just over 8 amps (100 divided by 12).

Five hours use in one evening will use 40 Amp/Hours from your 110 Amp/hour battery - pretty close to half discharged. And you need to factor in the lights as well.

You will need to recharge the battery prety much every day - a generator will do this OK in the day time - or a solar panel in Summer or wind generator.

Robert

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Thanks Robert. I suspected that the battery would only last two days using the telly etc which is enough for the weekend. I have a spare 85 amp leisure battery and also my vehicle has 2 x 12v batteries so I don't think there will be a problem.

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
This Caravan Club abreviation for Certified Location ie small 5 van site. Camping and Caravanning Club call them CS Certificated Sites.

Hopes thats clear

ColinB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts