The Route Napoleon in France

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
I have a 2004 2.2 DCI Nissan X Trail and tow a Bailey Pageant Monarch. My Wife and I love to holiday in France and next year we intend to go to Provence. We would like to go via the Route Napoleon. Has any one travelled this route with a caravan and if so would you recommend it? I am an experienced tower.

Peter

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
We travelled on the N85 quite a lot of years ago - 1993. From Calais we drove to Macon then across towards Grenoble. We sited our van at Le Bourg-d'Oisans, close to Les Deux Alpes. The site we used was Camping Belledonne. After a week there we retraced our steps to the N85 and travelled south to St. Aygulf. My tow car then was a Citroen BX estate and although it had power, it was lacking weight so my ratio was getting close to 100%. Even so, I don't recall meeting any difficulties on the road - other than a caravan puncture which I remember very well.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've driven the Route Napoleon, down to Castellane, solo (ie not towing) on a couple of occasions, and don't remember it being particularly challenging (ie no 'Alpine' type drops, no really steep hills, and no really tight corners). It's a lovely route - you can see why Napoleon chose it!

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Peter

We've towed along quite a lot of the Route Napoleon last year with a 2006 Nisan X Trail pulling an Abbey Vogue 460 with no trouble at all.

On our way back north we went to the Alps near Annecy and, due to a road closure, had to go over a fairly narrow mountain pass with an uncountable number of hairpin bends and steep hills but still we had no trouble, just remember to change gear in plenty of time.

Regards

John M

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks John,

We will be travelling on this route from Grenoble to Castellane. Also we are looking at travelling along the D952 from Castellane to Moustiers-st-Marie, have you travelled along this road as well?

Peter

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hello Peter.

With our van on the back, we travelled the entire length of the Route Napoleon last year ( from south to north ) and enjoyed every minute of it. The only slight word of caution I would make concerned a tight right-hand bend through an arch blasted out of the rock.

I have tried to locate it on the 'satellite' view of Google maps but the photographic definition isn't good enough. All I can say is that it was in the section to the north of Castellane and we were unfortunate enough to meet it with a lorry coming the other way ( partially on our side of the road ) and with three cars behind us.

For you heading south it shouldn't be too bad because you will be on the 'outside' of the bend as it were but if we use the road again, despite the slight hold-up it might cause, I shall let my passenger get out and take a look round the bend before negotiating the arch just in case..!

Olly.

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi Peter,

We did the Rte Napoleon from Grenoble to Castellane in September this year. Have a Seat Alhambra towing Buccaneer Argosy (1700kg MTPLM), no trouble. Wouldn't take the van along the D952 to Moustiers as it's a bit narrow and winding, although camper vans do it and we did see one dutch caravan going west. Just watch out for other traffic esp motorcycles!

Alan

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Peter

We have been along the D952 a few times but not with the caravan in tow although I don't think it would particularly bother me having driven it solo. It is narrow in places and quite twisty but no steep gradients. The views are spectacular but perhaps better seen when you don't have a caravan on the back so that you can stop at the many pull-ins along the road.

We stayed at the western end of the Gorge du Verdon at Les Salles sur Verdon at a site right on the edge of the lake. It was a fabulous setting about 2 miles south of the end of the gorge where the river pours out into the lake. Having seen the sites at Castellane, we were glad we made that choice. The weather was particularly wet whilst we were there in June and the sites at Castellane had water flooding through them from the mountain side when we drove passed.

I know it is a personal preference, but the location of the site at Les Salles is more open, not hemmed in by the mountains, which means that the sun rose earlier and set so much later (right across the lake) than it does when when hemmed in by high mountains.(Having said that we love staying in the mountains at Le Grande Bornand in the Alps).

Because it is generally more open at the western end of the gorge the roads tend to be wider, straighter and flatter meaning that journies to other places from the site are easier and quicker.

Hope you have a good holiday but if you want more info about the area then just post me another query.

Regards

John M

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Peter

I have towed most of the Route Napolean on several different trips. It is generally OK and much pleasanter than the longer route to Eastern Provence via the Rhone Valley.

I remember well the stone arch referred to by Olly - I met a convoy of six Dutch caravans coming in the opposite direction!

It is on the north side of the Col des Leques between Castellane and Barreme.

Between Sisteron and Grenoble there are two alternative routes -the N85 (now D1085) via Gap and the N75(now D1075) via Serres and the Col de la Croix Haute.

The 'true' Route Napolean is via Gap. Beware, however, of the steep ascent out of Gap to the Col Bayard. Also, going north there is a very steep and long descent towards Vizille, just south of Grenoble. There is now a 2.7m height barrier on this descent, so most 'vanners will have to divert from La Mure onto the D529, which is scenic, but a bit twisty. (There is no restriction on the ascent going southbound)

The Sisteron to Grenoble route via the Col de Croix Haute has no severe gradients and the A51 Autoroute now extends south from Grenoble to the south side of Monestier, avoiding the previous traffic jams at Monestier at busy times.

There is also an excellent small CL type site just off this route on the east side of Aspres at St Pierrre d'Argencon - run by two English couples.

There is also a brilliant site at Luz la Croix Haute, just south of the Col de La Croix Haute. It is in a side valley well away from the main road with fantastic mountain views - Champ La Chevre.

Bonne route!

Paul

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi John,

Thanks for the information, could you tell me which site you stayed on at Les Salles Sur Verdon please?

Regards

Peter

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Paul, Do you know the name of the CL type site you mention on the east side of Aspres at St Pierre d'Argencon?

Regards

Peter

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Peter

The site at Les Salles was 'Camping La Source', (under Salles sur Verdon in Caravan Europe 1). This is a terraced site rising from the lakeside level up a steep(ish) hillside but the pitches are fairly flat. The higher up the hill the better the views of the turquoise coloured lake. Pitches are of a reasonable size, the lower ones, particularly, are mainly under trees. A new swimming pool was under construction when we were there in June although lake swimming in the crystal clear water is also allowed. Boats can be hired about 100m from the site entrance.

There is a back gate from the site into the village square which made for a very pleasant morning walk for the bread. The village doesn't really 'open' for tourists until the start of July.

The site is right next to another one, 'Les Pins' which is a little larger and appeared to be on less of a hillside - but perhaps doesn't enjoy the views of the lake or the direct access to the village.

Between Moustier and Les Salles there are quite a few sites including a fairly large municipal.

Hope this is of help.

Regards

John M

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks for the information John, it looks as though we are going to have a good holiday next year, we are planning to go for a month.

Regards

Peter

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Peter

The CL type site at St Pierre d'Argencon, which is west of Aspres (not east as I said previously) is called Aire Naturelle La Source. It is on page 179 of the Caravan Club 2008 Caravan Europe Vol 1 and it also feaures in 'Cool Camping France' on page 80. Leaving Aspres on the D993 towards Valence, it is on the right about 1km past the turn for St Pierre.

Cheers

Paul

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Can anyone who has travelled this route advise regarding the practicality of driving from Vernioz to La Colle Sur Loup in a single day?

According to 'mappy' and other route planners it would take me about an hour and a half to Grenoble and then around 5 hours to La Colle Sur Loup which is near Nice.

This would be a very long day, but the scenery sounds fantastic. Unfortunately I have pre booked sites and will have to do the journey in one and it sounds much better than travelling the usual route south.

I will be going in September so hopefully the roads should be quieter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts