The rules for dogs on site,

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
to answer your question lisa:

1) playing in a park as a child, dog and owner comes into park, my sister throws me the ball, i lean to pick it up and wham, dog bites my arm which the owner says dog was going for ball. needed stitches and dressing and a jag.

2) as an adult walking my gsd in park, man opens garden gate onto the park, out runs a collie and runs towards us, bites my dog on leg and then as i tried to lift my puppy up dog bites me on hand - right through my glove, stitches needed, owner has no excuse apologises profusely and asks me not to report incident as wife is dying of cancer and it's her dog, her lifeline. Brings me a box of peaches to apologise!!!! unbelievable

3) as a pet minder, goes to clients house which i already looked after his bull terrier number 1, i am sitting on his rug in livingroom at his new bull terriers level petting it, it is sitting calmly, gets up and tries to mount my arm then bites me right in the fleshy bit of underarm close to my breast, won't let go, is shaking me from side to side, owner is on it's back hitting an kicking it to let go, it's snarling and growling, eventually get it off me and it's pierced my jacket and top and right through to the flesh where it's torn quite deeply. Owner gets dog put down as he himself was scared of it. This was a rescued 5 year old dog.

All 3 are unprovoked and unexpected attacks in my opinion.

I have always had german shepherds since a child, i grew up with them so they are my preferred breed, i have 35 years experience of them. My gsd is a guarding breed by nature but have to say i have not encountered any problems with any of my bitches i've had. She goes everywhere with us and my kids have grown up with her, i trained her from 6 weeks and she is very obedient, having competed in local obedience trials.

I would still never trust any dog 100%. I never take a chance where my kids are involved.

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi spj

I'm sorry to hear you can't let your dog off its lead. How do you manage to give it all the exercise that breed needs?

I think you are right to err on the side of caution regarding other people's dogs approaching yours, particularly bull terriers and rotties. I don't allow any dog to get too close to mine because you just don't know what other people's dogs are like. Canine body language is easy to read but can the owner of the other dog read it? Probably not.

My younger dog was attacked by a Giant Schnauzer and sustained some quite nasty injuries when he was just ten months old (I don't trust that breed). My dog was on its lead at the time.

I can't stand dogs which jump up at people whether they are on leads or not, it's not something my two are allowed to do. I'm not sure if I'd hit a dog which jumped up at me, but I would certainly knee it in the chest.

Lisa
Hi Lisa,

Huskies do need a lot of exercise and one pet hate of mine is a fat dog which to me is neglect, I have a scooter for her to pull me on from www.pawtrekker.com and if I feel a bit more energetic I take her out on my mountain bike attatched by a Walkydog from www.roofbox.co.uk and we normally do 5 to 6 miles on the canal towpath at around 12 to 15 mph at least once a week if the weather is not to warm for her. On the scooter she will do a 4 minute mile pulling me and the scooter which is about 5 times her weight, after the first mile or so she slows to about 13mph for the rest of the run, normally 5 miles or so.

Other than that she is walked in the woods on an 8m extendable lead 2 to 3 times a day depending on my shift pattern for a total of a couple of hours or so.

spj.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts