Thetford C260 cassette issue?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When emptying the cassette this morning a piece fell off by the hole to open and close the cassette. On checking Online it is part 15 and know as the Retainer mechanism, but I have no idea what it does or how to fit it back onto the cassette. Any advice while the cassette is empty and clean? Thanks.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
When emptying the cassette this morning a piece fell off by the hole to open and close the cassette. On checking Online it is part 15 and know as the Retainer mechanism, but I have no idea what it does or how to fit it back onto the cassette. Any advice while the cassette is empty and clean? Thanks.
Not a great start to the morning.
Firstly. have you removed the item #4 Waste-Holding Tank Plate from the Waste Holding Tank?
Coincidently, I still have my cassette at home after giving it a deep clean so I can open it up again to see how item #15 is located and secured if necessary.

There you go, here's a picture of #15. It's just clips on but it might be difficult trying to refit it if you haven't removed #4.
I had to give #15 a quick clean before it was suitable to be photographed as it's a proper gunk trap.
Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_5841.jpg
    IMG_5841.jpg
    826.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5842.jpg
    IMG_5842.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. I stuck my hand inside the hole and felt around and could feel a round hole. I then pushed it into the hole and it seemed to click into place. Luckily I still had rubber gloves from Covid time so wore them
I am not sure what the #15 does as everything still seem to function okay even with cassette in place and #15 in my hand,
I did not know that #4 etc could be removed and not willing to tackle that job on site, but maybe when we get home?

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Here is a video of how to remove #4:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OCJSU21wwY

If it's never been apart before you'll struggle to open it with the slide as shown at 1min 10 seconds. I use an 18" length of 3"x1" timber to get more leverage. You might need a second pair of hands to grip the cassette or wedge it firmly against something as you're applying pressure to the lever. After it's been opened and the seals sprayed with lubricant it will be far easier to open up in future.
Thank goodness you didn't lose #15.
Enjoy your break.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Here is a video of how to remove #4:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OCJSU21wwY

If it's never been apart before you'll struggle to open it with the slide as shown at 1min 10 seconds. I use an 18" length of 3"x1" timber to get more leverage. You might need a second pair of hands to grip the cassette or wedge it firmly against something as you're applying pressure to the lever. After it's been opened and the seals sprayed with lubricant it will be far easier to open up in future.
Thank goodness you didn't lose #15.
Enjoy your break.
Many thanks as that is excellent video and very helpful. (y) :D

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Count yourself lucky with the silver cloud that you didn’t observe the part disappearing down the hole in the cdp to join a collection of measuring caps ! Back in place and working so consider yourself flushed with success!

Reactions: Ferrodo
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to double check I followed Paullus advice and removed the top to make doubly sure it was firmly in place. Also gave the area a good clean at the same time. Well OH cleaned it. No idea why it fell off?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts