Thetford Grill Problems

Jun 24, 2021
Visit site
Thetford Grill problem
This story happened on: 14/02/2017
I purchased a Coachman VIP 460 back in 2017 and on the first day, reported a grill giving off toxic fumes. I was told this would stop with use, it did not and I complained on every service of the same problem. In Feb 2020 I at last got Thetford via GT towing to examine the Oven, they agreed with the problem and replaced the Oven. On the first trip out, the new grill produced smoke and toxic fumes !!
I went back to Coachman who have tried to help but Thetford insist I tow the van back to GT again for them to see it. I no longer use GT, the last service was by a mobile engineer who discovered the grill pressure was far to low and reported it , this was back in Jan and he has yet to get any response from Thetford. I once again involved Coachman who tell me that Thetford want to arrange this with GT at there site, again causing me the inconvenience with a problem of Thetfords making!
I want them to arrange this with the engineer (who last reported the fault) at my house were the van is kept which, given the timescales involved with this problem , I think is the least Thetford could do.
My reason for writing this is to draw attention to the appalling lack of help from Thetford. There is no contact information that I can find so no way of talking direct , Perhaps they have a good reason for this??? Perhaps the think the customer is of no concern to them, certainly feels like it. I shall most certainly avoid using any products from this company in future

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thetford Grill problem
This story happened on: 14/02/2017
I purchased a Coachman VIP 460 back in 2017 and on the first day, reported a grill giving off toxic fumes. I was told this would stop with use, it did not and I complained on every service of the same problem. In Feb 2020 I at last got Thetford via GT towing to examine the Oven, they agreed with the problem and replaced the Oven. On the first trip out, the new grill produced smoke and toxic fumes !!
I went back to Coachman who have tried to help but Thetford insist I tow the van back to GT again for them to see it. I no longer use GT, the last service was by a mobile engineer who discovered the grill pressure was far to low and reported it , this was back in Jan and he has yet to get any response from Thetford. I once again involved Coachman who tell me that Thetford want to arrange this with GT at there site, again causing me the inconvenience with a problem of Thetfords making!
I want them to arrange this with the engineer (who last reported the fault) at my house were the van is kept which, given the timescales involved with this problem , I think is the least Thetford could do.
My reason for writing this is to draw attention to the appalling lack of help from Thetford. There is no contact information that I can find so no way of talking direct , Perhaps they have a good reason for this??? Perhaps the think the customer is of no concern to them, certainly feels like it. I shall most certainly avoid using any products from this company in future
Your issue is with the dealer and not with Thetford. It is the responsibility under CRA 2015 that the dealer sorts out the problem. End of!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thetford are under no obligation to use your mobile engineer at your home. As stated above your complaint has to be addressed to the dealer supplying your goods and they should deal with it, involving Thetford as necessary. You have been asked to take it to GT and should do so. One if the problems of purchasing caravans from companies away from you is the inconvenience of taking them back when things go wrong. Best you look on Citizens Advice website for your rights under CRA 2015 and try and get it resolved via the dealer.

One point though you say toxic fumes, how do you detect toxic? New appliances will smell on initial useage. A new domestic oven requires a number of heat runs before it ceases to smell on heating. Could it be impatience on your part? Or perhaps something behind the oven hasn’t been installed properly since build by Coachman. Given it’s a 2017 van and four years have passed I’m surprised it’s not been resolved sooner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I'm sorry to see that you're experiencing problems with fumes from your grill.
There could be several reasons for this.
As mentioned earlier, cooking appliances require several heat cycles for any applied protective coating to be burnt off.
If the handle of the grill pan is too close to the heat, fumes will be given off.
Also mentioned earlier was that under the terms of the Consumer Rights Act, the supplying dealership is responsible for all repairs under warranty.
The contract of sale is between the dealer and you, not between Thetford and you, so your issue needs to be taken up with the dealership.
As a new forum member you will have agreed to abide by the
Official Community Rules.
One of these rules states that you should:
Avoid "calling out" or attacking specific brands or companies in an effort to shame them with your experience. Take specific complaints directly to that company so they can work with you to resolve it.

Please don't use the message boards to 'name and shame' businesses in future
Normally I would have removed your first posting because it broke the forum rules.
I allowed your comment to remain despite not reading the community rules this time because you're new to this forum.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have given up using the Thetford grill as it just does not work as it should. The previous Thetford grills were brilliant and no issue, but the newer versions I don't think you could even make toast under it. However we have never had a toxic smell issue in any Thetford we have used. Hob & oven are brilliant.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi welcome to the forum i will not comment on this since owning my latest caravan never used the grill but i think there are enough forum members on here that can advice you .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts