Thetford N112 Fridge, lack of spares availability

Mar 22, 2024
Visit site
Hello , I'm yet another unlucky owner of a Thetford N122 fridge greeted with the dreaded Error 9 message displayed when getting the caravan ready for the summer, I've removed the PCB to have a good look over it but can't see anything burnt, all three fuses are okay and no visible dry solder joints, What's more worrying is I can't find a replacement, most websites list the PCB as a discontinued item (unless someone in the know can point me in the direction of finding one) , The other option is to get the board repaired, has anyone had any success getting this done? , If so could you recommend someone to do it

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello , I'm yet another unlucky owner of a Thetford N122 fridge greeted with the dreaded Error 9 message displayed when getting the caravan ready for the summer, I've removed the PCB to have a good look over it but can't see anything burnt, all three fuses are okay and no visible dry solder joints, What's more worrying is I can't find a replacement, most websites list the PCB as a discontinued item (unless someone in the know can point me in the direction of finding one) , The other option is to get the board repaired, has anyone had any success getting this done? , If so could you recommend someone to do it
Corrosion is the biggest killer of PC boards and in some cases difficult to spot.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
As electronics technician my policy on repairing customers corrision damaged PCBs was to write them off. There is no way to do a quality repair on corrision damaged PCB. Even after replacing corrision damaged components still left with damaged tracks and through holes. Add high vibration enviroment into mix and chance of failure after repair is greatly increased.

If PCB is high failure item spares would've been used up while ago. Nobody is going do a new run assuming all components are still available as they would be paying for pile of PCBs that may or may not be all sold over few years.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As electronics technician my policy on repairing customers corrision damaged PCBs was to write them off. There is no way to do a quality repair on corrision damaged PCB. Even after replacing corrision damaged components still left with damaged tracks and through holes. Add high vibration enviroment into mix and chance of failure after repair is greatly increased.

If PCB is high failure item spares would've been used up while ago. Nobody is going do a new run assuming all components are still available as they would be paying for pile of PCBs that may or may not be all sold over few years.
When I was working on the coast where there was high humidity, we had no choice except to repair the existing PCB especially with our rental units. The worst ones were those that arced and burnt a hole right through the PCB. Relating to high humidity, corrosion and PCBs I have had some really scary experiences.

Mar 22, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for the replies , I've been over the board with a microscope looking for dry solder joints , burnt components and corroded traces but I have to say the PCB is in pristine condition with no signs that the damp has got into it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts