Thetford toilet warning light query!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
Mine only ever shows red, and then only if the float switch hasn't jammed, so the advice to look down the hole is good.

For memory (rather shaky at the best of times) when the red light illuminates there is supposed to be room for another litre. So unless you have had a curry :sick: you should be OK until morning.

As a newcomer to caravanning and the dark arts surrounding the toilet cassette. On our first trip away I expected the red light to be brighter. When I saw a rather dull red glow, I thought it was a warning that it was begining to get full. When I did do the rather sensible thing of looking down the hole, it was too late, the, hmm, cassette was *over full". Shan't make THAT mistake again..........

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Niall_McIntosh said:
Dodger524 said:
Mine only ever shows red, and then only if the float switch hasn't jammed, so the advice to look down the hole is good.

For memory (rather shaky at the best of times) when the red light illuminates there is supposed to be room for another litre. So unless you have had a curry :sick: you should be OK until morning.

As a newcomer to caravanning and the dark arts surrounding the toilet cassette. On our first trip away I expected the red light to be brighter. When I saw a rather dull red glow, I thought it was a warning that it was begining to get full. When I did do the rather sensible thing of looking down the hole, it was too late, the, hmm, cassette was *over full". Shan't make THAT mistake again..........

Sorry to hear that but :sick: :lol: :sick:
I normally make it a rule to empty it at the end of each day just as everyone is settling down , i *** and do it .

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Niall_McIntosh said:

Oh dear... as a fellow newcommer to the Thetford toilet and it's ways, I sympathise! It was a revalation to have onboard facilities but I became paranoid that exact situation you experienced would happen! A look down the hole is definitely the way to go.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I have just posted my latest problems with my c250 and agree with everyone that the toilet system, in the words of the latest jargon, is not fit for purpose.
Lights what lights? Sometimes they work but most of the time dead, just empty the cassette each day.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
FrintonMike said:
I have just posted my latest problems with my c250 and agree with everyone that the toilet system, in the words of the latest jargon, is not fit for purpose.
Lights what lights? Sometimes they work but most of the time dead, just empty the cassette each day.

I think he's starting to get the idea now ! :p

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’m on my second C250. I swear the waste capacity is less than the C200.
The construction of the unit is seriously flawed. Why on earth would anyone put wiring , pcb, fuse holders etc in such a hostile environment. :woohoo:

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
Anyone got any photos of the bits and bobs and circuit or switches that makes the red light(s) come on? Ours come on so infrequently / unreliably I didn't really realise its a cassette full indicator. Its just a random red light so far as I'm concerned. How might I investigate where and what and how to get it to function more reliably? There's no obvious indication on the outside of the cassette as to how it works. I see reference to a reed switch ... is there a float with a magnet inside the cassette, and if so how do you clean / lubricate it?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
BaileyNiggles said:
Anyone got any photos of the bits and bobs and circuit or switches that makes the red light(s) come on? Ours come on so infrequently / unreliably I didn't really realise its a cassette full indicator. Its just a random red light so far as I'm concerned. How might I investigate where and what and how to get it to function more reliably? There's no obvious indication on the outside of the cassette as to how it works. I see reference to a reed switch ... is there a float with a magnet inside the cassette, and if so how do you clean / lubricate it?

Mine does come on but by then the cassette is very full. But like you say it can be a bit haphazard. I tend to gauge it by hearing and visual feedback :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
BaileyNiggles said:

Mine does come on but by then the cassette is very full. But like you say it can be a bit haphazard. I tend to gauge it by hearing and visual feedback :)

is there a float with a magnet inside the cassette, and if so how do you clean / lubricate it?[/quote]

Rubber gloves, nose clip and goggles. :sick:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
otherclive said:
BaileyNiggles said:

“Hearing and visual feedback” :lol: You mean you listen for the splash and look down the hole. :lol:
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mel said:
otherclive said:
BaileyNiggles said:

“Hearing and visual feedback” :lol: You mean you listen for the splash and look down the hole. :lol:
Mel

Spot on as you might say!
I answer to Hutch. Can’t be bothered by looking to maintain a reed switch in a cassette. Bad enough home plumbing problems. :)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Same as you OC, the light on our failed after the first year, visual reference every time.

Same here , look listen and see , then when you go to empty it just give it a good wash out with the hose

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
There was a good YouTube video (by a caravan owner rather than a company) but I can't find it now. Have a quick search, it did describe how to dismantle the cassette.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Personally we do not need a warning light to tell us when the cassette is full, that is my first job everyday to empty the cassette regardless of a red light being serviceable, how folk can have human waste sat inside the caravan is beyond me,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts