Thetford Toilets

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
For reasons beyond our control, we had to move our caravan across a show field the other day. The waste tank on the toilet was about half full. On setting up on the new pitch, my wife found a disgusting brown liquid spreading over the floor of the toilet compartment. Due to the seal on the flap which is opened to use the toilet being worn, it had overflowed. The compartment which holds the waste tank has numerous holes and gaps where liquids can come to rest, and is impossible to clean properly without removing the whole toilet assembly from the van, which is a dealer job.
CHECK THE SEAL ON YOUR TOILET!! It may save you a big bill.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Maybe soemthing that you already avoid - but never pour the loo-blu in through the toilet, always use the emptying spout before the cassette is replaced. This avoids premature wrinkling of the seal due to chemical contamination that then can lead to the leakage you describe. Thetford have an excellent website with step by step instruction for fitting any bits that may need replacing.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If the seal wasn't sealing - how on earth would you have carried it to an emptying point without spilling the contents all over the place.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
ppplant said:
For reasons beyond our control, we had to move our caravan across a show field the other day. The waste tank on the toilet was about half full. On setting up on the new pitch, my wife found a disgusting brown liquid spreading over the floor of the toilet compartment.

Sounds like a candidate for the woosie club!!!!!!!!!!! me thinks :woohoo:

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
..........often the seal is perfectly OK.

They get encrusted with something similar to lime scale and Thetford cassette tank cleaner will remove it and help prevent leaks.
I dismantle the seal and soak over night in the chemical every couple of years :sick:

Not much of a job for a Woosie

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
..........often the seal is perfectly OK.

They get encrusted with something similar to lime scale and Thetford cassette tank cleaner will remove it and help prevent leaks.
I dismantle the seal and soak over night in the chemical every couple of years :sick:

Not much of a job for a Woosie
It is limescale - any dissolved limescale in the drinking water, or other drinks, will be passed through and precipitate out - some prescribed medications can make this a lot more noticeable. Thetford's Cassette Cleaner works well - even on Dometic toilet cassettes!

The limescale may accumulate around the bowl as well, no problem on ceramic coated toilets as domestic cleaners containing mild citric acid can be used to clean it off but a problem with conventional acrylic toilet bowls where domestic cleaners are a no-no.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Going off topic slightly Im not sure if the cleaning of the Thetford Toilet bowl has been discussed.This time away I did notice ours starting to look a liitle tarnished to clean it as I have never been sure what use I filled the bowl with warm water and put in two Superdrug Steralising tablets in the bowl left it for half an hour it has has come up like new .No rubbing scrubbing or scratching works well .
Sir Roger.

TRENDING THREADS