They just dont know what else to do to raise money.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
20mph Speed Cameras To Cut Road Deaths

56 mins ago

∏ Sky News 2009 Print Story Speed cameras could be installed in residential areas to enforce a new limit of 20mph. Skip related content

Related photos / videos 20mph Speed Cameras To Cut Road Deaths Enlarge photo

Related content

Speed curbs plan to cut road deaths

M1 crash victims named

Burnham under fire for data loss

Related Hot Topic: Motoring & Transport

Have your say: Motoring & Transport

The limit on A-roads could also be lowered and random breath testing introduced under Government plans to reduce road deaths by a third.

Transport Minister Jim Fitzpatrick is launching a consultation on a 10-year safety strategy.

The default speed limit on rural single carriageways is likely to be reduced from 60mph to 50mph unless councils can provide a "good reason" why the higher limit should remain.

It would also be easier for local authorities to lower speed limits on all residential roads to 20mph.

Road safety researchers say people hit at 20mph have a much better chance of survival than those struck at 30mph.

One in 40 dies at 20mph, compared with one in five at 30mph.

Robert Gifford, of the Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety, said: "The 20mph zones are proven to save lives and that is especially important when thinking about children and the elderly."

Other initiatives could see cameras that detect average speed, covering all exit and entry points to residential areas, installed.

And harsher penalties for driving over the limit and failing to wear a seatbelt may be introduced.

Police would also no longer need to suspect that an offence has been committed in order to stop and breath-test a driver.

There are similarly plans to make the driving test tougher, requiring candidates to complete a year-long course before taking the test.

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
⇦The default speed limit on rural single carriageways is likely to be reduced from 60mph to 50mph unless councils can provide a "good reason" why the higher limit should remain.⇨

I would prefer it stay at 60 mph unless councils can provide a "good reason" why the lower limit should be inflicted. Rural single carriageway roads are generally not very busy ones and accidents are fewer therefore I see no reason to change the limit.

⇦It would also be easier for local authorities to lower speed limits on all residential roads to 20mph.⇨

Why? Again if a road is not an accident hot spot why unilaterally change the limit. I can see the reason behind say having a 20 mph limit outside schools BUT only during school entering and leaving times - the rest of the time there is nothing wrong with the 30 mph limit. Residential roads are there for cars (and bikes and vans) to use to get from homes to work etc., they are not extended playgrounds for children therefore no need to reduce the speed limit.

⇦Other initiatives could see cameras that detect average speed, covering all exit and entry points to residential areas, installed.⇨

Yet another revenue raising exercise.

⇦And harsher penalties for driving over the limit and failing to wear a seatbelt may be introduced.⇨

Penalties are quite harsh enough for "ordinary" individuals although some celebrities and public figures seem to get away with lighter ones - I wonder why?

⇦Police would also no longer need to suspect that an offence has been committed in order to stop and breath-test a driver.⇨

Welcome to New-labour's police state!!

I would like to see more drivers prosecuted (or even caught) using mobile phones whilst driving, never a day passes without observing at least one and more often than not several doing just this. Speed cameras do not catch these people, traffic police do - however, there are fewer traffic police and an explosion of speed cameras. That's because more money can be gleaned from speed cameras at a lower cost.

Rant over.

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure with modern technology the government could fit cameras that detect drivers using their mobiles, eating, talking or we could have a camera for picking our noses. Just imagine how much revenue HM government could collect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts