Thick of get a 4x4

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
We are thick of get a new tow car. The thing is we are thick of get a 4x4 but we are not quite she what the run cost are and how much fuel they use when tow and not tow and I would like to now how they tow has well.

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark+Sharon, Most 4x4 tow well depend on the kerbweigh of your caravan and 4x4, ect= Daihatsu Fourtrax 2.8 tdx the kerbweigh for this model is 1780kw time that by 85% is 1500kw, you can tow a caravan up to 1500kw no trouble at all, reguard fuel depent on your right foot how heavy you are, we have the above 4x4 it 15 years old, we get around 28-32 solo, long trip 35, towing 25-28 to the gallon that towing a 1300kw caravan,to service our 4x4 by a local fitter will be cheaper than a dealer, our cost with M.O.T and service round

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark+Sharon, Most 4x4 tow well depend on the kerbweigh of your caravan and 4x4, ect= Daihatsu Fourtrax 2.8 tdx the kerbweigh for this model is 1780kw time that by 85% is 1500kw, you can tow a caravan up to 1500kw no trouble at all, reguard fuel depent on your right foot how heavy you are, we have the above 4x4 it 15 years old, we get around 28-32 solo, long trip 35, towing 25-28 to the gallon that towing a 1300kw caravan,to service our 4x4 by a local fitter will be cheaper than a dealer, our cost with M.O.T and service round

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark and Sharon

Are you thinking of a full size 4 x 4 (a Chelsea tractor)? I tow with a Volvo XC70 AWD diesel. It's got all the attributes of a 4 x 4 (road holding, off road capability) plus I get 31mpg towing and 34/36 solo. The Audi AllRoad is a similar vehicle in concept.

Jan 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mark and Sharon. We tow a Coachman Amara with out 2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara. Its a Diesel so does a pretty good MPG. Sat at 60 for about 150 miles and used about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
l am looking for a fullsize 4x4 either.

land rover discovery

mitsubishi shogun

toyota landcruser

kia sorrento.

thank you

mark.
Try them all Mark, then go see your bank manager and put a deposit on the Sorento.

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
I've just been through your predicament, thought seriously about a Discovery but too many used ones had major money spent on them and didn't bode well.

I bought a Mitsubishi shogun 3.2 DiD auto it'll tow any caravan with ease, it's well made reliable and returns over 30 miles per gallon. My friend sold his 3 years ago with 200,000 miles on the clock it's still going strong. I also considered the Nissan Terrano as they have a good track record.

Good luck Hunting, try the autotrader website and get a feel for prices asked.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Luckily most 4x4's - like cars in general - are pretty damn good.

All that have been mentioned are well worth a look.

My preference a low milage Discovery V8 on LPG - running costs better than diesel and kinder to the environment.

As for japanese 4x4's being more reliable - I would agree that most have been. But if this carries on ad-infinitum - where are all the 10, 15, 20, year old Troopers, Pajeros etc?

Most of them are in the breakers yard because parts are so expensive and often need special tools to work on them - whereas a LR can be stripped down in a day with just a 13mm spanner and a screwdriver.

Mark - if you are not a good amateur mechanic - I would be carefull whatever you go for. The disadvantage of any 4x4 is that there is more underneath to go wrong.

It maybe a silly example but ask an Audi Quatro owner what the running costs are! A work colleage had one and repairs to the drivetrain cost him over

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Went through the same process recently Mark, looking for a large 4x4 to keep over a long period which would have the capability to tow any caravan we may own in the future. As mentioned earlier there are some great vehicles to choose from, but finally decided to buy a 2 year old, Sorento diesel auto. Car had just over 10k on the clock and I quite simply could not find anything else at this age at same price with the same amount of kit or towing capability. We have now had the car over two month towing with it frequently, really pleased with towing performance.

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
I agree with richard the Sorrento is a lovely car and good value for money. The only reason I didn't go for one was that they seat 5 not 7.

I borrowed my friends Sorrento 2.5 xs to pick up our new Crusader Superstorm, the Kia pulled it beautifully and caravans don't come much heavier.

TRENDING THREADS