This is getting serious

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Cannot buy tinned Chappie from any of our local large supermarkets, convenience stores or even Pets At Home. No stock and no forecasts. Yet oodles of “ designer” dog foods, and Hills Science Diet. Clearly efforts are concentrated on the high profit lines just like cars!!!

Amazon has supplies, but at what price?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Didn’t know that they still made Chappie! Try small independent corner shops?
Mel
What are they ? I thought our four local convenience stores had done fir them. 😂

Chappie is still made and our vets recommend it for when the dog may have come out if anaesthetic, or has allergies or like our two get Wilts Belly on account of their incessant foraging. We like to keep half a dozen tins of the fish one as just in case meals.
2C0337FC-9C2F-4899-91D9-CC2C476BACA1.jpeg

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Just searched Pets At Home Filton,Bristol.
Seems they have both tinned Chappie and large dry bags on their website(although it says "low stock")👍

Ooh.....also Bath but low stock

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just searched Pets At Home Filton,Bristol.
Seems they have both tinned Chappie and large dry bags on their website(although it says "low stock")👍

Ooh.....also Bath but low stock
Thank you. Yes Yate and Bath have both found some six packs, but 24 packs not quite as good. I will keep an eye on my local as a short 10 minute walk beats a 25-30 mile round trip. We still have half a tall larder unit with pooch foods various, plus the hopper in the garage. The smaller one is now primarily on human food. Beef mince, chicken breast, fresh fish all with rice or pasta plus vegetables. She’s loosing weight and appetite. for dog foods hence feeding her human food which is working to stem the weight loss, as she eats it well. But the clock is against her I’m afraid.
The Chappie is in case of tummy troubles for either of them.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear that Otherclive.
I can understand exactly what your going through.
I do hope and pray she pulls through🐕
Thank you. They are both 14.5 years so a good age. The little one is virtually deaf, eyesight not too good and joint stiffness, plus a mite dotty. But she’s still keen to go for her walks. Our vet has checked her fir obvious issues and none found. I’ve had dogs pretty well since I was a kid, even a street waif when at uni. So we will know when it’s time. But she’s survived meningitis in 2015, and pancreatitis 18 months ago. So I’m not writing her off yet👍👍

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There have been severe shortages of Chappie since about mid year.
It seems to be luck of the draw when retailers get some, and in what quantity.
My 4 dogs are all on it, tinned and biscuit, so it can be a nightmare at times, but the manager where I buy all my dog food keeps what I need to one side when stock arrives.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There have been severe shortages of Chappie since about mid year.
It seems to be luck of the draw when retailers get some, and in what quantity.
My 4 dogs are all on it, tinned and biscuit, so it can be a nightmare at times, but the manager where I buy all my dog food keeps what I need to one side when stock arrives.

Well that one hasn’t hit the press amongst the other more well publicised shortages. 😂

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
According to my local pet shop ,Mars Petcare U.K. who make Chappie and other Pedigree foods, have been plagued with raw material supplies, increased materials cost, lack of transport and she says Covid -19.Plus the major increase in pet ownership during the Pandemic.
That said l see Amazon are offering next day or so delivery on all Chappie products. I’ve also noticed very recently the price of quality English Springer Spaniels has dropped to £800 / £900 which is about right. A while back they were going for,£2500.🤬🤬
I suspect we will also see a rise in dog rescue homes occupancy😥😥

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Amazon 12 tins £17.20
Zooplus £10.49

Sadly supply and demand causes such wide price fluctuations as we have seen with lots of things over the last 18 months. I was merely thinking needs must😉

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the inputs. We normally pay £4.19 for 6 x 412g or £14.19 for 24 from Pets at Home. I was going to call in there today on my walk back from Screwfix but they were closed as it was only 0915 🙂
We still have 6 tins and Chappie is only used if either one gets a gippy tum. Fingers are crossed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Its not just our pets, I was talking to my cousin yesterday and for years he's been going to the Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh the nice one over the station. Due to the pandemic he has been able to roll over an earlier booking delayed by the pandemic. and take it in early December at the original prices. His two night break rolled over cost him near £300 for the two nights at pre pandemic rates. He was looking to book again in mid January 2022 and booking direct with the hotel was £578 for two nights. Booking .com were way more expensive. And that's not a room looking out at the Castle. The rush to recoup losses is surely going to lead eventually to consumer resistance. In his case he's now looking at other hotels in Edinburgh.

Reactions: volts and Dustydog
Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Sorry your girl is under the weather. I have had our cocker on Skinners for a while now, she's young and spritely and seems to be enjoying it as fussy with what's in her bowl but not if she finds something out and about! They do a wet food now which seems gentle on the old tum - Skinners - Not the cheapest but quality seems good. Have you a B&M nearby, I think they sell it.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts